View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Started Harvestors, question on Mage hand 
Hlobane Orc

Post Started Harvestors, question on Mage hand
So, finally started up an RPG with my kids. One is playing a Rabbit Ranger, the other as a Female Mouse Wizard. My daughter is the Mouse Wizard, and I think she may turn into a min/max player. The question I have deals with Mage Hand. According to the rules she can lift a small object up to 5 pounds.

Since they are all animals she thinks she can lift herself or another mouse up with Mage Hand. Thinking about it...I really can't find fault at it as mice are pretty light.

She is trying to use it as a levitating or flying spell for herself, which I think makes it inordinately powerful for a 0-level spell.

Answers/solutions to this, or is this how you would interpret it?

Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:23 pm
Lore Drake

Post Re: Started Harvestors, question on Mage hand
GreyLord wrote:
Since they are all animals she thinks she can lift herself or another mouse up with Mage Hand. Thinking about it...I really can't find fault at it as mice are pretty light.

I don't have Harvesters so I can't speak to the wording. But in my opinion I wouldn't allow being able to lift themselves up simply because you need to concentrate (among other things) to cast the spell. To me it'd be hard to concentrate and lift yourself.

The other part I can't see any problem. The only question I ask is if there is a range to the spell that limits just how far one could carry something. And, being a hand wouldn't it limit the one being carried to what he could do?

Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:09 pm
Mogrl

I would not allow a creature to be classified as an object except for those objects which are creatures (animated swords, golems, elementals, etc.) So, on the surface of it, I would say "no" unless there was a very compelling reason. Perhaps limit spells to a maximum of 3rd level... after all, animals are not exactly the most intelligent thing and maybe they cannot handle the complexities of the more powerful things. Or, I may reduce the effectiveness. 5 pounds for a creature exceedingly beneath that limit is somewhat insane... perhaps 5 ounces.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:39 am
Maukling

If I had one issue with Harvesters, it would be that (at least) a few spells made it without getting the editing they needed. I love the book and would like to start this with one of my boys (one's got the "big boy pants" on and wanted to start with 3.5, unfortunately), and I will when the time is right. But I would love to see an updated version, or at least an errata sheet on this.

serleran wrote:
5 pounds for a creature exceedingly beneath that limit is somewhat insane... perhaps 5 ounces.

Might want to try 5 grams, hoss. The average weight of a mouse is roughly 60 grams At 5 ounces, you can mage hand two mice. Of course, with such size discrepancy among the races, 5 ounces - or 5 grams - can be very subjective.

Troll Lord wrote:
Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:14 pm
Unkbartig

Don't get in the details and miss the intended feel? The Mage hand has always been designed as a low level thing that can lift keys, move small items etc.

Glad to see your running Harvesters!

Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:10 pm
Hlobane Orc

Yep, it's pretty interesting so far. Her favorite spell now is Charm Person...though instead of people it's limited to Player Races, and a few others like Rats. All others are chancy (she tried charming a toad...bad idea). Her younger brother is attempting to play as well, but he's always trying to destroy her well laid plans by rushing in and trying to kill things instead of trying to figure a way around them.

Tonight they finally made second level after barely escaping from a snake. Finding I am having to tailor some of the spells to them though.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:23 am
Hlobane Orc

Winding down a another adventure tonight, finally ran the module out of the actual rulebook for them. It was their fourth adventure they've run with the characters. She keeps asking to play this game every day, I think she's hooked.

I told her after we finish tonight we're going to start a new game...this time I think we'll still use harvestors but I'll introduce her to the full C&C game for class options. With my luck she'll still be a Mage and take Charm Person and be trying to charm rats and wolverines.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]