Player seeking to have new weapon made in A-series campaign

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Player seeking to have new weapon made in A-series campaign

Post by tylermo »

Hey, guys. One of the players in my A-series campaign was playing a halfling paladin, wasn't too happy with playing LG alignment, and ended up making a new character. At least, I was able to have Gritznak the Bold sacrifice him in A0. Anyway, his new character, a lawful evil Knight, is hoping to purchase a better weapon. As I recall, the information for +1 weapons and the like is in M&T. I haven't taken a look yet due to being under the weather. My player has an unusual request. He wishes to make a bastard sword that's twice as long as normal for a human, maybe for a large-sized creature. Any thoughts?

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Player seeking to have new weapon made in A-series campa

Post by Go0gleplex »

Sooooo....a sword with a 10' blade. Cost is pretty simple to figure out I'm sure. But aside from that, how the hell does he expect to carry it? The only way I can think of would be for it to be constantly resting on his shoulder or hanging off his horse. Using it as anything more than a thrusting weapon in a confined space is also going to be problematic. It would definitely be a large weapon more adequately used by a large sized creature.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

The blade of a real "bastard sword" average a little over 1 meter in length. By all means let him have one made. It will be TOTALLY useless in combat with a 2+ meter blade...
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Arduin wrote:The blade of a real "bastard sword" average a little over 1 meter in length. By all means let him have one made. It will be TOTALLY useless in combat with a 2+ meter blade...
Unless he's real strong and can fly!! :P
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Sounds like the iconic Amiri from Pathfinder, but the giant's bastard sword she wields is still no taller than she is, and she has trouble with it.

http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Amiri
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

tylermo wrote:Hey, guys. One of the players in my A-series campaign was playing a halfling paladin, wasn't too happy with playing LG alignment, and ended up making a new character. At least, I was able to have Gritznak the Bold sacrifice him in A0. Anyway, his new character, a lawful evil Knight, is hoping to purchase a better weapon. As I recall, the information for +1 weapons and the like is in M&T. I haven't taken a look yet due to being under the weather. My player has an unusual request. He wishes to make a bastard sword that's twice as long as normal for a human, maybe for a large-sized creature. Any thoughts?
Yes, its called a 'two handed sword'. Its about 6 feet long. 8-)

If you want to see what one looks like, check out the Templar's weapon in a movie called Ironclad. :)
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

While I agree with the others on its impracticality, I will say that fun's the rule. Maybe make some provisions. Like say it does double the damage of a longsword or something like that (2d8, or even 2d10), but he can only swing it once every other round. Then how to make something like that? Maybe make that an adventure, too. Certainly, human smiths couldn't make it balanced and crafted like it needs to be. Perhaps not. But maybe an ogre or giant smith? That would be interesting.

In the end, if it doesn't break the game, I'd say go for it and let him have it.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

zarathustra
Red Cap

Post by zarathustra »

I like Dynels suggestion.

I would also make sure to enforce that if he's fighting in a 10' corridor, no one else can stand beside him or even fight from second rank behind him (that thing would kill anyone back there). Crowded rooms would be similar.

Let him have it, but he has to take the bad with the good.

Rikitiki
Red Cap

Post by Rikitiki »

Oh, I can see a whole bunch-a times where he'll end up knocking it into walls and such just due to its length -- roll for possible breakage.
Personally, I'd say he'd have to find a damn good Dwarven smith (with enough helpers) to craft something like that. Or quest to find such a sword -- and who knows how long it's lain there and what condition it would be in due to that.
Of course, with swinging something that large, there's also the chance that the momentum of the swing could wrench it out of his grip...