A0 Map Work in Progress

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Valens
Mist Elf

A0 Map Work in Progress

Post by Valens »

I just thought I would share my current project a work in progress Hexographer map for A0, It's about 75% done, I need to add lables, roads and Touch ups. I'll post the finished Player and CK versions when I'm done for those who would have a use. It's 1 Hex = Ten Miles.
Attachments
Map.png
Map.png (250.75 KiB) Viewed 786 times

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Re: A0 Map Work in Progress

Post by alcyone »

Cool! For anyone doing these, consider making the map available with hex numbering. I think Hexographer does it now. That way those who want to do Judges Guild style hexcrawls for Aihrde have a common numbering scheme to refer to.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Valens
Mist Elf

Post by Valens »

Sure.. may i ask what Judges Guild style hexcrawls are? I'll post the finished maps shortly, I've of course added some names to the unnamed towns.

Valens
Mist Elf

Post by Valens »

Finished Versions http://min.us/mYsFX3WCX

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Valens wrote:Sure.. may i ask what Judges Guild style hexcrawls are? I'll post the finished maps shortly, I've of course added some names to the unnamed towns.
Sure. I just got into these recently. A company called Judges Guild made some of the first D&D accessories, including something called The Wilderlands of High Fantasy. At its core, it was a number of hex maps, each numbered by its row and column, 1111 would be column 11, row 11, on a certain map. Interesting hexes could be looked up on a number of tables, which would give a short vignette that the DM could turn into an encounter. Others were created using a number of random tables you could use, right down to generating a dungeon or cave complex on the fly. In this way, you can make character driven sandboxes as opposed to a rigid campaign. A party would start in a suitable hex, and start exploring, and the creative DM would play off the character's interactions with various obstacles and encounters and provide some gloss that would let them reach various self-set goals.

Supplements existed that fleshed out certain dungeons and city-states, so if someone wanted to do something more directed, like a traditional module, that existed too. Of course nothing stops you from placing modules and overarching stories into the world if you want. The idea though is to provide a setting, and the characters bring the events through their interaction with it.

The way that the A series is written, with lots of optional locations and the ability to accomplish about anything in any order as long as you are up to the challenges, I think it lends itself well to such a sandbox.

RPGNow.com has the original Wilderlands of High Fantasy in PDF form, as well as the excellent Necromancer Games version for D20 that compiles and adds to the existing material. There is also the Wilderlands of Majestic Fantasy that Rob Conley did for Swords and Wizardry, and Wilderlands of High Adventure that James Mishler did for C&C. For a free similar sandbox setting see Rob Conley's "Blackmarsh". He also did the Points of Light setting for Goodman Games.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Good work, sir! Liking the map!
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Valens
Mist Elf

Post by Valens »

Thanks to both ;) Funny thing is I picked C&C up cause I was tired of complex systems, and wanted to get back to the old school feel. I've been trying to get my wife to run a game for years... So I pick up the umbrage Saga, and most of the main books in digest version... run a demo for our group, now she wants to run the umbrage saga. :) So I've been put on mapping duty and regulated to play a character that doesn't know to much about the area.

If anyone wants the hexomaper file I can see if I can find a place to host it. Everything should be compatible with the free version to make modifications.