Kindle ??

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Kindle ??

Post by Snoring Rock »

So are the core rules in Kindle or Nook yet? Errr..I suppose I could get the PDF's and fenagle them onto my iPad. Can I get them in app yet and where?

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Kindle ??

Post by Arduin »

Why don't you just put the PDF on your Kindle?
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Ok, so I am in the middle of choosing between a Kindle Fire HD or and iPad. I am told that getting PDF's on a Kindle takes some kind of conversion and an app. Anyone know just how much trouble that is? I have purchased to many things, being told they work, later to find out...not so much. Do you read PDF's on a Kindle? How much trouble is it? Or would you prefer an iPad?

I would love to put all my game/adventures/setting on PDF -- on to my future Kindle/iPad.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I have a reader, but not a Kindle. I just DLed a free app and then put the PDF's on my reader which then automatically converted them when I opened them. So if your reader is similar, it should be similarly easy.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

You can plug you kindle in and drag pdf's into the documents folder. They will appear on your kindle nothing else needed. However because of the screen size and fact the pdf does not scale prepare to go blind. :)

The iPad with it's bigger screen is a better reader for these kinds of RPG pdf's. You import them via iTunes.

We have a kindle touch and 1st gen iPad in the house, the iPad gets heavy use by me for reading PDF's.

-Mike

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I have a Kindle Fire. All I did was take the pdf of the 5th printing PHB, email it to Kindle with the special kindle email you make when you register it, and it loaded up just fine. I think I could transfer it with a wire, too, but the email was easy. If you want to make it a Kindle document, you email it with the word "CONVERT" as the subject (no subject otherwise, if you just want to leave it as a pdf) and it becomes a Kindle document. My wife has the standard Kindle, but I've never used the convert email procedure on the standard Kindle. I've used the convert method on my Fire, but not for the PHB - the pdf was just fine the way it was. Admittedly, not all documents convert well. But I didn't need to do it anyway for my PHB, so I was fine.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Download an app called "Calibre" and it will convert between multiple formats and even natively supports both platforms for ebook management. It's an awesome (and free) app that works on Mac, PC, and Linux. Without this app, my ebook addiction would not be as rampant as it is today ;)
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

I'd go with the iPad between the two - just more functionality. Though personally, if given the choice I'd go with the NOOK HD+ over the Kindle Fire. Screen is bigger and there is more functionality, albeit less than an iPAD.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Breakdaddy wrote:Download an app called "Calibre" and it will convert between multiple formats and even natively supports both platforms for ebook management. It's an awesome (and free) app that works on Mac, PC, and Linux. Without this app, my ebook addiction would not be as rampant as it is today ;)
I'll second this. I to have Calibre and it is awesome. I've never had any problems converting books using it.

http://calibre-ebook.com/
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

if you have the ipad and it can run os6, then you can buy baulders gate from the app store. just saying.

i have tons of pdfs on my ipad and have no issues with it. also my 4 year old has mastered the ipad so if price is not an option, go with teh ipad. however, if its price then go with a nexus 7. they are way better tablets than the kindle or kindle fire.

http://www.google.com/nexus/7/

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

My kindle paperwhite will be here tomorrow according to amazon. I have had a sony prs505, a nook color, an asus transformer prime and now a Dell XPS 12 tablet/ultrabook hybrid. I have read books from each and every one. My personal findings are that, for just reading books, there is nothing at all (other than an actual paper book) that compares to e-ink. Just my .02 and YMMV!

EDIT: PDFs stink on e-ink, Im talking about epub or similarly formatted ebooks in the above statement.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Me like Nook Tablet. Reads anything, and there are ways to fool B&N system into allowing all Android apps.

That said, as soon as Google's tablet drops another ten bucks, IT MUST BE MINE!
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

My only experience with a Kindle is via the Fire, and it didn't work too well for PDF. Or, I'm just too expecting it to be like a PC reader.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Kindle Fire does as well as most arm-based dual core processor android devices. You can make it much smoother by purchasing EZPDF for android devices. It is the best of breed of pdf readers on android, IMO. I have read 200 meg RPG PDFs on my Asus Transformer with few issues. Yes, it's not as fast as a true computer, but its acceptable in many cases. Having said that, my XPS 12 rocks at PDF viewing and is a 12" 1080 IPS display tablet/ultrabook hybrid. Of course, it's a core i7 with 8gb of ram which helps a lot.
-Genghis Khan

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

i put almost all my pdfs onto the Kindle Fire via a simple app called, creatively enough, "send to kindle" or somesuch.
it takes, like, a minute to load the Amazing Adventures pdf to the device.
I love it.

To me, the iPad isn't worth the money, but I'm not using the Kindle Fire as a tablet computer, just a reader and we putter around the net a bit and we LOVE Amazon Prime for movies and such. Also, the KF is like, a 1/4 of the price of the ipAd, and with another 50 bucks we got a Roku, so new we can watch all those Amazon Prime movies on our TV.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

scp
Ungern

Post by scp »

LOL -- I probably posted a question too early, and I probably should have posted it in this thread first -- I am looking for the CKG in ePub format: http://trolllord.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12797

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

WooHoo!

I got an iPad for Christmas and I ave used DropBox.com to move all my PDF's over and use the free Adobe Reader App. Just way too cool, too easy........Snoring Rock, welcome to the 21st century!

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Nastybad Kindle. We hates it.

Oh wait - I rooted my Nook Tablet.

Nice Kindle clone (and everything else clone). Lots of books. We loves it. Our precocious! Our smurfday present!
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Snoring Rock wrote:WooHoo!

I got an iPad for Christmas and I ave used DropBox.com to move all my PDF's over and use the free
You can't use a USB cable from PC to iPAD?
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules