Rigon's "new" house rules

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Rigon's "new" house rules

Post by Treebore »

I think it will work. At least for non magic, non supernatural related situations. Which I think still works, because that would be why we have spells like Detect Invisibility.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Lord Dynel wrote: Being perceptive can be divided up into three areas, which are covered by the three mental attributes:

Intelligence - when surveying a scene, finding important things, things of value, or items of note.
Wisdom - to notice something out of place, a hidden item or danger, or something not normally apparent.
Charisma - to ascertain clues in a social situation, usually dealing with living creatures (primarily humanoids) that deal with body language and demeanor.
This is basically how I do it.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I updated my rules. I included the perception rules (I think I'm going to like the feel of how it plays) and removed some other things.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Another edit. I increased the level at which extra attacks are gained for warriors and for the fighters WpSp.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

Ditch Medicine: The barbarian is able to use his knowledge of herbs and plants to make effective poultices. The barbarian is able to heal 1d6+Wis mod hit points of damage once per day per person.

How has this been working for ya? Any problems with it being abused? How do you handle players using this when they are in a deep, dank dungeon or in the middle of a desert? Do you just not allow the ability or do you allow the character to carry a "medicine bag" (and how often can they use said medicine bag before it's empty)? Does it do anything Vs poisons?

Just curious, cuz I kinda like that.

If adopt it though, I'm thinking I will run it as 1d6 (+1 for every 4 levels of XP). This will help to somewhat reflect the experience of the druid, ranger or barbarian healing you.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lobo316 wrote:Ditch Medicine: The barbarian is able to use his knowledge of herbs and plants to make effective poultices. The barbarian is able to heal 1d6+Wis mod hit points of damage once per day per person.

How has this been working for ya? Any problems with it being abused? How do you handle players using this when they are in a deep, dank dungeon or in the middle of a desert? Do you just not allow the ability or do you allow the character to carry a "medicine bag" (and how often can they use said medicine bag before it's empty)? Does it do anything Vs poisons?

Just curious, cuz I kinda like that.

If adopt it though, I'm thinking I will run it as 1d6 (+1 for every 4 levels of XP). This will help to somewhat reflect the experience of the druid, ranger or barbarian healing you.
I haven't really ran a game yet with these rules, but I don't for see it being a problem since it only can be used once per day. As too in a dungeon and such, I'd allow them a medicine bag with, probably 5 or 10 uses.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm still tinkering with these rules.

I've changed the extra attacks and weapon specialization rules again. The changes this time bring it more in line with what I want.

I also changed the Attribute check modification bonus to +3 from +2. I figure the half-elf and half-orc are half human, so they should have half a prime.

And I added a class, the berserker. It is the 1st-3rd printing barbarian.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I've also been thinking about character levels beyond 12th level. I know there is expanded class info in the CKG, and, if I were running a more by the book game, I would more than likely use them; however, since I've changed a lot of the features of the game, I think I'm going to come up with my own expanded class info that is more in line with my game. That will give me something to focus on so I stop tinkering so much with these rules.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

I like what you've done with the Bard. It's more like a 2nd Ed AD&D bard, which was always my favorite version.

-Fizz

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

Question on how you run Fate Points...

Fate Points: All characters have fate points
1. Start with 5 at 1st level and gain 5 each time you gain a level
2. FPs are added (as a bonus) to any one roll
3. May use any number of FPs once per session
4. FPs cannot be used on a Nat 1

Point #4 there seems to indicate that you can declare the use of FP AFTER the die has been cast. Is that correct? Of do they need to state they are using FPs before rolling.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Fizz wrote:I like what you've done with the Bard. It's more like a 2nd Ed AD&D bard, which was always my favorite version.

-Fizz
Thanks, mine too. 2e was my favorite edition of AD&D. That's why a lot of my house rules mirror 2e.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lobo316 wrote:Question on how you run Fate Points...

Point #4 there seems to indicate that you can declare the use of FP AFTER the die has been cast. Is that correct? Of do they need to state they are using FPs before rolling.
Yes, that is correct. It is a bonus that the player can add to any one roll per session that they want. At 1st level, a PC could add a +5 to an attack roll when fighting an ogre, but would then be out of FPs until they gained a new level.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

Rigon wrote:

Yes, that is correct. It is a bonus that the player can add to any one roll per session that they want. At 1st level, a PC could add a +5 to an attack roll when fighting an ogre, but would then be out of FPs until they gained a new level.

R-
Follow up question...I'm assuming they have to state they are using fate points before you reveal the results of thier initial roll? If they roll a 16 and are not quiet sure that's gonna get it, they have to decide before you reveal the result?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lobo316 wrote:
Rigon wrote:

R-
Follow up question...I'm assuming they have to state they are using fate points before you reveal the results of thier initial roll? If they roll a 16 and are not quiet sure that's gonna get it, they have to decide before you reveal the result?
No, it doesn't matter to me since they only have a limited number to use and a limited number of times to use it.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

Rigon wrote:
Lobo316 wrote:
Rigon wrote:

R-
No, it doesn't matter to me since they only have a limited number to use and a limited number of times to use it.

R-
OK, thanks for clarifying. It's definately an interesting way of running fate points.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lobo316 wrote:
Rigon wrote:
Lobo316 wrote:
Rigon wrote:

R-

R-
OK, thanks for clarifying. It's definately an interesting way of running fate points.
I had a situation come up in a game once, where fate points like this would have stopped a tpk. That's why I developed them.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I just added this to the knight:

Inspire: This ability can be used once plus the knight's Cha bonus per day.
Embolden: This ability can be used once plus the knight's Cha bonus per day.
Demoralize: This ability can be used once plus the knight's Cha bonus per day.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Rigon wrote:Thanks, mine too. 2e was my favorite edition of AD&D. That's why a lot of my house rules mirror 2e. R-
2e was my favorite too- the first system i ever really got into. At times i wonder if it would just easier to start with 2e (all classes, abilities, proficiencies, schools of magic, etc), and then apply the Siege engine to it. Would probably make my Birthright conversion easier anyways... heh.

-Fizz

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Fizz wrote:
Rigon wrote:Thanks, mine too. 2e was my favorite edition of AD&D. That's why a lot of my house rules mirror 2e. R-
2e was my favorite too- the first system i ever really got into. At times i wonder if it would just easier to start with 2e (all classes, abilities, proficiencies, schools of magic, etc), and then apply the Siege engine to it. Would probably make my Birthright conversion easier anyways... heh.

-Fizz
That should work pretty easily. I've often thought about just using 1E classes as written and give it a try. Seems to me like it should work easily. For 2E the only question I would have to work out would be how proficiencies would effect SIEGE checks. I am thinking handle them just like a Class skill. So the proficiencies would be character specific skills that follow the class skill rules, with the exce4ption that since they are available to everyone, they won't keep others from adding their level to their checks.

So then what would be the point of proficiencies? So I am thinking that taking the proficiency maybe just gives them a +2 bonus to related checks. After that it should be easy.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
Fizz wrote:

-Fizz
That should work pretty easily. I've often thought about just using 1E classes as written and give it a try. Seems to me like it should work easily. For 2E the only question I would have to work out would be how proficiencies would effect SIEGE checks. I am thinking handle them just like a Class skill. So the proficiencies would be character specific skills that follow the class skill rules, with the exce4ption that since they are available to everyone, they won't keep others from adding their level to their checks.

So then what would be the point of proficiencies? So I am thinking that taking the proficiency maybe just gives them a +2 bonus to related checks. After that it should be easy.
I've often thought of adding proficiencies to my C&C rules. My plan was to give a +1/prof taken to the roll. So if a character took firebuilding 3 times, they would have a +3 to their roll.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Treebore wrote:So then what would be the point of proficiencies? So I am thinking that taking the proficiency maybe just gives them a +2 bonus to related checks. After that it should be easy.
Actually, i was thinking of treating them separate from class abilities. For every slot you put in, you get a +1 with that proficiency and level does not affect it. Only specified class abilities would increase automatically with level. But that's just my take...

-Fizz

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

Hey Rigon, question for ya...

Spontaneous casting: The cleric is able to swap out a prepared 1st thru 4th level spell and cure/harm 1d8 hit points per level swapped (ex. A prepared 2nd level spell can be swapped out to cure 2d8 hit points of damage).

On your "cure/harm" ability, why only 1st through 4th level? Why not just have the cleric be able to swap any level spell to cure/cause damage (swap out a 7th level spell to heal/harm for 7d8 points)? Is that just a balance thing? Is curing or causing 7d8 just too much?

And if you are limiting it, why not stop at 5th level (since that's the level where you get Cure Critical Wounds)?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lobo316 wrote:Hey Rigon, question for ya...

Spontaneous casting: The cleric is able to swap out a prepared 1st thru 4th level spell and cure/harm 1d8 hit points per level swapped (ex. A prepared 2nd level spell can be swapped out to cure 2d8 hit points of damage).

On your "cure/harm" ability, why only 1st through 4th level? Why not just have the cleric be able to swap any level spell to cure/cause damage (swap out a 7th level spell to heal/harm for 7d8 points)? Is that just a balance thing? Is curing or causing 7d8 just too much?

And if you are limiting it, why not stop at 5th level (since that's the level where you get Cure Critical Wounds)?
My main reasoning was that 4th level spells are half way (0-9th level). That range, I consider to be lesser magics. Plus it still puts cure crit in the mix when choosing higher level spells.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Talking with my players last night in preparation for my upcoming game and one of the players is playing an elven fighter/mage who specialized in the bow. He had a question about my cleave ability, so I clarified it for him. I also added to the combat dominance ability the other day and forgot to mention it, so it put it here also. I just added it to the house rules on the first page, but I'll re-list them here.

Cleave: Beginning at 2nd level, if the fighter slays his opponent, he may make an immediate attack against another nearby (5 ft step for melee, 30 ft for ranged) opponent.
Combat Dominance: Whenever a new attack is gained, increase the HD of the creature affected by 1. So at 8th level, the fighter can use combat dominance on all 2 HD or less creatures. It also works in conjunction with the fighters extra attacks.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Here is something that came up in my game last night; The group was attacked with a wand of magic missle. The M&T does not give damage range for wands. I know Treebore goes with minimin caster level to create the item (9th level for wands), which makes wands of MM extremely deadly. 1st and 2nd ed have wands of MM do 1d4+1, which is too little usefulness for higher level use. We talked about it for several minutes during the game and I decided to go with 2d4+2 for right then to keep the game moving with the caveat that I would come up with a permanent "fix" later.

I'd like things like that to be useful, not only at lower levels, but also when characters get to higher levels. So I came up with this little idea:

Unless otherwise specified, a magic item’s spell-like abilities (range, duration, area, saves, etc) function at the level of the user.

As always, thoughts and comments welcomed.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I've also added a section for magic items to my house rules with the following rules.

Magic Items
Magical arms and armors weigh 50% of their non-magical counterparts.
Magic items that have similar properties do not stack. (ie. ring of protection and magical armor)

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

This rule is now in effect.

Unless otherwise specified, a magic item’s spell-like abilities (range, duration, area, saves, etc) function at the level of the user.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Heh. Just when I thought I had enough food for thought, I come across this thread. Between Omote's "Advanced C&C," csperkins' "AD&D 3E," and your work here, Rigon, I have a lot of good ideas to customize my own game. Nice!
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Zudrak wrote:Heh. Just when I thought I had enough food for thought, I come across this thread. Between Omote's "Advanced C&C," csperkins' "AD&D 3E," and your work here, Rigon, I have a lot of good ideas to customize my own game. Nice!
Thanks Z. If you are still looking for ideas, check out Tree's House Rules. They start on the 6th post down.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Rigon wrote:
Zudrak wrote:Heh. Just when I thought I had enough food for thought, I come across this thread. Between Omote's "Advanced C&C," csperkins' "AD&D 3E," and your work here, Rigon, I have a lot of good ideas to customize my own game. Nice!
Thanks Z. If you are still looking for ideas, check out Tree's House Rules. They start on the 6th post down.

R-
:D I think I posted there last night(?). It's really cool the things this group of players come up with. Lots of great ideas, which is why I always appreciated the C&C community (in addition to generally being laid-back and not judgmental how others play their games).

EDIT: I did not post there, but I added to my Bookmarks last night. Knew I did *something*. Hahahasob. (Don't get old)
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax