updated M&T and CKG

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Fizz
Lore Drake

updated M&T and CKG

Post by Fizz »

Hi all-

Are there any plans to release versions of M&T and the CKG with the same style as the 5th printing PH? The new styling and color scheme is my favorite of the variations the Trolls have gone through. I'd love to have a matching set of core books. (And i don't care if the inside is colored or not.) :)

-Fizz

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: updated M&T and CKG

Post by Treebore »

They want to do the M&T one day, haven't seen the CKG mentioned.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I remember speaking with Stephen (sometime last year) about convention restocks, and the topic came up. Unfortunately, I can't recall what he said. I'm guessing it may have been between 6 months to a year from the release of the latest phb. I'm fairly certain whatever time table he gave was not written in stone. I imagine the current printing of M&T would have to be sold out first. There was a very brief period of time where phb 4th was an endangered species between printings. I'm just an occasional TLG convention sales and demo rep/ fanboy/acquaintance, so I have no knowledge of how many m&t's and ckg's are still left from the current print runs. However, I'm betting the ckg would be more abundant. Maybe Stephen, Todd, or Tim will chime in. Disclaimer: I know nothing. Barely enough to be dangerous at best. :-)

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

Has anything of note changed in the 5th printing of the PHB?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lobo316 wrote:Has anything of note changed in the 5th printing of the PHB?
I believe the only thing added was colored artwork.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Rigon wrote:

R-
And a new cover.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Sir Ironside wrote:
Rigon wrote:

R-
And a new cover.
Well, yeah, that too. :D

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Arakor
Hlobane Orc

Post by Arakor »

And the simplified Encumbrance rules.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Arakor wrote:And the simplified Encumbrance rules.
I'd like to get a look at those.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Sir Ironside wrote:
Rigon wrote:

R-
And a new cover.
And corrections of maybe 5% of the errata ... ;)

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Really? I did that bad a job on the book? ;)

Do understand that the bulk of the errata issues should have been handled by Pete or the Trolls before it got into my hands. Some typos did appear that weren't in previous printings because I didn't cross out the entire sentence and rewrite it like I should have. I have a post on the boards regarding those typos.

As to game mechanics errata, there should be none left in the PHB. There were posters on this forum who were declaring that certain things in the PHB were errata because the CKG information didn't jive with the PHB. Word of God has it that the CKG is a book of options, and thus optional rules cannot be used to define what is or is not errata in the base rules.

With all of that said, I can tell you that Monsters & Treasure will get the spiffy new cover design. The one thing that I do anticipate happening is the rules in Monsters & Treasure being consistent with the PHB, especially when it comes to encumbrance.

<Random Musing>I still think an updated version of the White Box is a good idea.</Random Musing>

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

LOL, I'm mainly teasing, but yes, there are substantive errata left, not to mention spelling / punctuation / grammatical errors. As far as straight up rules-based errata and really important clarifications, I think it's down to the following:

Page 45: Saddlebags have a Capacity of 20.
Page 112: In the Tiny Hut spell, the example should read “thus, if it’s -20 degrees outside, inside it’ll be 50 degrees.” (In other words, it should be negative twenty, not positive twenty.)
Page 131: The first sentence of the second full paragraph of the Grappling section should read “The armor class of a defender in a grappling [not “an overbearing”] attack,” etc.
Page 135: The first full paragraph in the right column doesn’t need to be in a grey box: it’s a part of the rules, not merely an example.
Page 136: The first sentence of the “Evil Clerics” section should read: “Evil clerics can assume control of the undead instead of destroying [not “turning”] them,” etc.
Page 136: Paladins are treated as unique undead for the purposes of turning by evil clerics.
Page 136: The last sentence of the second full paragraph should read: “Thus, a 6th level evil cleric could control a maximum of 30 skeletons.” (The cleric level needs to be at least 5 greater than the skeleton’s 1 HD.)
Page 137: The Spell Resistance section mentions that all creatures effectively have SR 1. This simply reflects the fact that they are entitled to saving throws against relevant spells; no additional roll against the creature’s SR is required. Ignore any reference of SR 1 in Monsters & Treasure or any other source, as it is essentially redundant. (Alternatively, you could bump any SR1 up to SR2, if you feel the creature should have some minimal SR.)

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

You did pass those on to the Trolls, right?

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Oh, yes - on more than one occasion ... I think I added them to various threads at one time or another as well.