C&C In Greyhawk?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

C&C In Greyhawk?

Post by Snoring Rock »

Ok sports fans, I am having a hard time getting emotionally attached to Aihrde for now. I am doing this new campaign in Greyhawk. So, anyone doing the same? I have the original and bits of the 3.5 edition some 20 years after the Greyhawk wars. Any preference? I love these maps by Ann B. Meyer. But they appear to be from a later edition of my world. Anyone have a preference? I too out my old T1 mod and blew the dust off.

Wow....memories. I thin my DCC's are gonna fit in here really well!

So how well does C&C work with old-school Greayhawk?

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: C&C In Greyhawk?

Post by Treebore »

Works great! I play in a Tuesday C&C game set in Greyhawk. Kayolan runs it.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Works great. That's what I'm doing. It's certainly not canonical Greyhawk (if there is such a thing), but it's a natural fit as far as I'm concerned.

I use the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer for a certain amount of convenience, 1st ed. modules, and then I just make it up as I go. :)

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

My campaign is set in post-war Greyhawk and is working out fine. Since most of the world is pretty much fluff there is nothing to really convert. If you are using a Greyhawk module you will have some conversion but it is pretty easy. And like Snoring Rock I never could get attached to Aihrde.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Julian Grimm wrote:My campaign is set in post-war Greyhawk and is working out fine. Since most of the world is pretty much fluff there is nothing to really convert. If you are using a Greyhawk module you will have some conversion but it is pretty easy. And like Snoring Rock I never could get attached to Aihrde.

Yeah, Aihrde was not easy to get "into". I kind of literally had to make myself use it, with the A series modules by TLG. That is what made me grow to like it. It still is not my favorite setting, but I have no problems using it.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Works perfect. I play in a long-time Greyhawk campaign using Castles & Crusades. My next campaign will be in Greyhawk using C&C as well. The campaign I play in is set in the year 568CY, so well before most of the released material. It has never been a problem and works perfectly well.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

GameOgre
Ulthal

Post by GameOgre »

Yeah up till I fell in love with Midgard,Greyhawk was my setting of choice for years.

The 3.5 setting book is almost all fluff so its a good resource,even if it is post Wars.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

As others have said, C&C works well in Greyhawk. In fact, C&C works well with just about any old TSR setting, I'd imagine. Greyhawk's got that particular feel, though, that I think makes it fit particularly well. I've used C&C with the Grey Box Forgotten Realms, and I feel C&C did good with that setting, so Greyhawk should be a cinch.

And to echo others' sentiments, I have also felt that getting into Aihrde was a little difficult. Maybe difficult isn't quite the word, but maybe it wasn't as seamless as I hoped it would be (at least for me).
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

I started playing C&C in a greyhawk setting and love it. There is a lot already set up for the world and a lot of story arcs in place and modules you can convert for gameplay into C&C

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

As far as Aihrde goes, I first have to say that is has one of the most awesome world maps that I have ever seen. It is truly a work of art. That said, my biggest problems came with the history of the setting being, in my opinion, too intrusive and that there is little to nothing of the framework of the countries.

What I would love to see from TLG is the setting done like the old Mystara Gazetteers with the focus on the feel and tone of each area and less on the overall history. I have really been hoping for a Gazetteer on New Aenoch similar to what was done with Karameikos and feel that would be a great addition.
Lord Skystorm

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

I got maps of Aihrde from Gary con and a list of the monsters and treasure, just paging through it I like the look of it, I haven't done any looking and haven't got any other of the works yet but it does seem to be at least very beautiful on the outside

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

It is a pretty cool setting. The hard part is deciding what to do about "The Winters Dark". Once you settle that (even getting rid of it all together), the rest of the setting history is full of flavor.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I keep toying with running Aihrde and have come up with having the Winter's Dark be metaphorical rather than an actual thousand year winter. Unklar would have been the god of the empire with a succession of emperors. I think that this is the best way to keep the event but remove some of the issues.
Lord Skystorm

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

When I first playtested C&C a decade or so ago I didn't have any Aihrde materials, so I chose Greyhawk as my playtest campaign. Worked great. I haven't been back to Greyhawk with my group in years, but we loved the setting and it fits C&C just fine!
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Ok, my new campaign has kicked off and is up and running. The fresh start is good. We started in Hommlet. What a classic. Anyway, I am plugging in 2 DCC's from Goodman Games and then I am replacing the Temple of Elemental Evil with Rappan Athuk. ToEE never did do it for me. I was one of those who waited for its release and when it finally hit the shelf and then my game table, it was dud. So, I am replacing it. Any other ideas?

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

While this Greyhawk game is running, I will be working on a game set in Aihrde. That open takes time and I want to see what is in the new Codex of Aihrde when it is released.

Hey Troll Lords, hurry up!

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

I forget where Hommlet is supposed to be located / don't know where you are locating it, but I really like the region S-SE of the City of Greyhawk itself. The environments are really varied (plains, desert, forest, sea, marsh, and of course the city itself. It makes it really easy to plug all sorts of different published modules into your campaign.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Regardless of gaming system (D&D, AD&D, 3E, C&C), I have always played my swords and sorcery in Greyhawk when I have refereed it. I have had no issues playing C&C in Greyhawk. Rather, it reinvigorated our campaign when we switched from 3E.

I have played sparingly since we moved in 2009 (just with my son), but when I have it's been a blast. I tried returning to AD&D 1E but the simplicity of C&C pulled me back. I just use house rules for my campaign to bring back a few of the old AD&D mechanics (thieves' abilities, for one).

There is talk of getting a new group together and I hope it pans out this summer.

Greetings to all the familiar faces and "friends" here at TLG.

Happy gaming,
Zudrak
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Mac Golden
Hlobane Orc

Post by Mac Golden »

After Aihrde and Inzae, Greyhawk is the best setting.