Codex Celtarum Has Arrived!

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Codex Celtarum Has Arrived!

Post by Snoring Rock »

I am so geeked right now that I can hardly contain myself. I was at a small-town picnic, old settler's days thing this morning with my wife. We picked up herbal soap and has a brat cooked outside. We got home and we drove up the driveway, and I spotted two boxes on the front porch. I had forgotten about the kickstarter. When I opened the front door and peered at the return address and saw Troll Lord Games my heart skipped a beat.

I opened the packages to find all of the famulous goodies I ordered. I want to say first, that TLG is the best RPG company out there. These guys are personable and love the game as much as us geeky players and fans do. The quality of publication is fantastic. Seeing my gaming group's name immortalized in the Codex just makes playing tis game so personal. I feel like I helped make it happen.

The Codex just feels good in my hands! What a beautiful book! This is fantastic! I gotta go, I am curling up in a secluded spot to read my Codex!

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Codex Celtarum Has Arrived!

Post by Treebore »

Its a great read.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Can't wait for mine to show up!

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I bet it'll be late June before I see a copy. The intial buzz has been good at least. I'Ve skimmed my copies of his three adventures, and liked what I saw. Sounds like Bryan Young will be a valuable asset to Troll Lord Games.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

tylermo wrote:I bet it'll be late June before I see a copy. The intial buzz has been good at least. I'Ve skimmed my copies of his three adventures, and liked what I saw. Sounds like Bryan Young will be a valuable asset to Troll Lord Games.

Personally I think this is the best book the Trolls have put out since the PH, second printing. Definitely the best Table of Contents.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Pretty high praise coming from you, Tree.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Wow! What an impressive book. I have read bits and pieces of the .pdf version released, but I just got my physical copy in the mail today. Wow. This is an impressive looking book too. It's nice and thick, and really well put together. This is one of TLG's most impressive books (presentation) to date. A big shout out goes to Peter Bradley the layout guy. The art is also impressive. While of what I have read to date, this book is impressive all in all respects.

Nice job TLG.

Now bring on that Codex Germania!
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

Omote wrote:Now bring on that Codex Germania!
The Codex Nordicarum and Germanorum (Germania) are being prepared and fine tuned as you read this...prepare for more European gaming thunder soon!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Well said, Snoring Rock!!

+1

:D
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Celticgamer wrote:
Omote wrote:Now bring on that Codex Germania!
The Codex Nordicarum and Germanorum (Germania) are being prepared and fine tuned as you read this...prepare for more European gaming thunder soon!
Emphasis mine.
BRING IT!!! 8-)
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

THAT is a bad-ass Odin and Slepnir painting!!!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Sir Izzy
Skobbit

Post by Sir Izzy »

I just received my Codex Celtarum shipment today – absolutely amazing!

I went in big on this one, and I'm not disappointed. In addition to the Codex, I picked up the PHB, CKG, M&T, OG&M, and more. PDFs are convenient, but there's nothing better than good ol' hardcover gaming books. Takes me back to my AD&D days. I would spend hours pouring through any book I could get my hands on (my gaming group had to pool our resources and share our books). Can't wait to do the same with my new C&C library. Looking forward to receiving the leather covered version when it's ready.

Now I need to convince my current gaming group to set D&D3.5 aside so we can play C&C.
"If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it." – Albert Einstein

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Got mine as well. I still prefer print over PDF!

This book is definitely a treat! With all the Faerie Lore, creatures, and spells, this book has tons and tons of mileage in it!

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

I will tell you that the German Codex's chapter titles are as cleverly arranged as the Celtic and it looks great! This book and the Viking will more than rival the Celtic Codex...just a warning early!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

YOU TEASE!

Take my money.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Just got the Celtarum and it looks fantastic. Can't wait to dig in. I'm on board for more!

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Greetings, Sir Izzy. May your zombies remain intact.
Sir Izzy wrote: PDFs are convenient, but there's nothing better than good ol' hardcover gaming books.
Indeeeeeeeeeeed.
Sir Izzy wrote: Now I need to convince my current gaming group to set D&D3.5 aside so we can play C&C.
Indeeeeeeeeeeed.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Dead Horse
Red Cap

Post by Dead Horse »

Any chance of a PDF of the maps for britton and faery to be down loads for self printing? or being able to buy prints of these maps?
Please don't beat me.
Not Worth Any Experiance Points Alive http://nwaepa.blogspot.com/

Dead Horse
Red Cap

Post by Dead Horse »

Just wanted to add, that i am currently running a game set in dark ages Europe. Primarily in england. Faerys have been a constant theme also.
This book is beyond awesome! I cant wait for the next codex!
Please don't beat me.
Not Worth Any Experiance Points Alive http://nwaepa.blogspot.com/

vivsavage
Red Cap

Post by vivsavage »

Are there things in the book that mirror the historical druids did, such as sacrifices (for divining and blessing), performing various rites and so forth, etc?

Cyril
Skobbit

Post by Cyril »

I got my shipment last week (would have had it sooner, but the post office didn't even try to deliver or notify us that we had a package until a week later). Haven't had the chance to really dive into the Codex yet, as I'm brand new to the game and have been familiarizing myself with the other books we got with the Kickstarter around other projects I've had going on, but I really like the little that I've been able to page through it. I'm very much looking forward to giving it a thorough read.

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

vivsavage wrote:Are there things in the book that mirror the historical druids did, such as sacrifices (for divining and blessing), performing various rites and so forth, etc?
There sure is, these are not the typical fantasy gaming druids but those from Celtic myth and history both. I have rules for what our gaming groups have always called 'God Calls' that require any number of factors to entice the divine like sacrifices (human or animal), elaborate prayers and rituals, etc. I do not get detailed in how these done so much since due to space, but I lay them out for options. Derwyddon am byth!

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Went to my FLGS in Chantilly, VA and what do I see on the shelf but the Codex. It is no longer there though as it has now joined my C&C collection.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Dos Equis guy! Awesome! That book and some other convention restocks should arrive just in time for my next convention. I look forward to selling it at DieCon 13 later this month. Been waiting to peruse this one, as well as A11 The Wasting Way.