Is 1 point ability raise enough? (ckg)

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Is 1 point ability raise enough? (ckg)

Post by tylermo »

I realize Stephen hasn't officially started a thread for the upcoming CGK 2nd printing, but I thought I'd ask the following...is the 1 point ability raise (in the ckg) for each class at level 15 enough? Given that C&C isn't a power-gamer's game, I think it is. I guess I'm more concerned that the one-point in a pre-determined ability score (determined by the class) will be useless to some, depending upon what their score is. For example, a player who's already at a +1 modifier might not advance to a +2 because their score is on the lower end of the range. However, I suppose a score increased by 1 point could be useful to all in the case of spell that lowers said ability. Either way, I'm probably ok with the level 15 increase as is. I was just curious as to what the rest of you think. Thanks.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Is 1 point ability raise enough? (ckg)

Post by Rigon »

I allow characters to raise one attribute of their choice, to the maximum allowed by race, by 1 every 6 levels. Also, I don't use the expanded classes from the CKG. But I definitely think that +1 to attributes works out just fine.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

I would do t by player choice like Rigon. Maybe a person wants to play a very wise fighter..
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

For a designated gain, yes. In my home game I actually have rules for them to train up their attributes, to racial maximums. IE 18 +/-1, after that, magic is needed.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:For a designated gain, yes. In my home game I actually have rules for them to train up their attributes, to racial maximums. IE 18 +/-1, after that, magic is needed.
Yeah, you need magical assistance to go about racial maximums in my game too.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

GreyLord
Hlobane Orc

Post by GreyLord »

I actually think that at 15th level that's good, but maybe once they get a few more levels over that (22nd, 23rd, or 24th) perhaps letting them get yet another +1 could also be a nice thing?