Castles and Crusades Cyclopedia?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Castles and Crusades Cyclopedia?

Post by tylermo »

It's in the wee hours of the morning, and I don't remember where Stephen mentioned this. Was probably in the phb 6 thread, or the one about phb layout. Either way he alluded to, or off-handedly said something about a C&C rules cyclopedia. It wasn't the latest product announcement, but just a thought. I like the idea. I'm sure the book would include most or all of the info in the phb, but what would you carry over from the ckg and m&t? It's late and I don't have the ckg in front of me, so this isn't my definitive list. Definitely the character classes expanded (13th-24th), the extra combat maneuvers (push, called shot, etc.), reload times for heavy crossbows, expanded equipment (or at least the extra lodging and meal prices), and liquid damages (from the ck screen). Maybe combat wastage, the racial variant ages, height, weight, etc., and a few other things. It's easy to consider putting too much in. If possible, resist the temptation to put in things that are best left in the ckg. I haven't even touched on m&t. It's been awhile since I'Ve seen the D&D cyclopedia (if we're using that tome for inspiration), so I can't recall how complete it was in the monsters and magic items department. As I said earlier, I love the idea of a C&C Cyclopedia. Perhaps we'll see it "on the anvil" someday. Not until after the next printings of phb, ckg, and m&t, or the upcoming book of familiars and codex of Aihrde. Your thoughts?

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Re: Castles and Crusades Cyclopedia?

Post by Sir Ironside »

Everything on the new screens should be available in the cyclopedia.

I particularily like the light rules.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

If we're talking about the landscape ck screen, I would probably include all information from the attributes and battle side...minus the impact of negative hp section. As for the situational and adventure side of the screen, I would "maybe" include meals, lodging, equipment usage, swimming, and light underground. Maybe the latter. Of course, that's in addition to some or all of my previous post. I think the key for the Cyclopedia would be to give folks an expanded phb, (all of the spells, etc.) as many of the monsters and treasure from m&t as possible, and the more vital information from the ckg, whilst leaving the optional bits (advantages, geography, modern weapons, adherents, fate points, and a million other things) in that tome. Then again, I don't know $%!# from shinola. :) Thanks for weighing in so early in the morning, Ironside!

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

tylermo wrote: Thanks for weighing in so early in the morning, Ironside!
The curse of being a night owl and sometimes insomnia. ;)

I read a lot of posts but rarely post myself. Mostly I don't have the knowledge that most people have here. :D

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

What screen are we talking about? I have one, I think the first one produced. IS there one that is better?

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

PeelSeel2 wrote:What screen are we talking about? I have one, I think the first one produced. IS there one that is better?
The latest was a landscape screen.

As far as better, that is really all subjective. I'd hazard a guess that you'd find proponents for both types. I'd even go as far to say that everyone has their own version, apart from the two offered, that suits them better.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

For me the landscape is set up better because I'm lazy and like to sit down and we play at a table, but I don't use screens and don't have to hide dice rolls very often

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I have to go with the original "portrait screen" overall (information and art-wise). I don't have them in front of me, but I would use most of the portait information, adding turn undead material, and the extra combat maneuvers from the ckg (and also on the landscape ck screen). I do prefer the the landscape screen size-wise. The art is good on that one (particularly the half with the battle scene). That said, and I've said it a million times, the portrait screen art is possibly Peter Bradley's best work ever. PeelSeel2, do you have an opinion as to what material should be contained in this Cyclopedia that doesn't exist...yet. :)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I would be happy with all the info in the M&T, including monsters, and the PH and CKG being included in a single volume, either as a collection, or better yet, redone to have it all go together in a logical order, much like the original Rules Cyclopedia. I'd pay about $50 for such a book, in B&W.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.