Close Supporting Fire

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Lobo316
Ulthal

Close Supporting Fire

Post by Lobo316 »

Qucik question in regards to CLose Supporting Fire from the CKG....The writeup on page 256 states that on a roll of 2-3, you may have struck a friendly (or at least a different target, in my games).

But the chart (table 17.4) states the numbers are 2-4.

Which one is correct?

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Close Supporting Fire

Post by Arduin »

Lobo316 wrote:Qucik question in regards to CLose Supporting Fire from the CKG....The writeup on page 256 states that on a roll of 2-3, you may have struck a friendly (or at least a different target, in my games).

But the chart (table 17.4) states the numbers are 2-4.

Which one is correct?

Which ever one you choose.

A bit more realistically, if you have 2 people sword fighting each other (moving rapidly while close together), the odds are MUCH, MUCH higher than this to hit the wrong guy using archery.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

A bit more realistically, if you have 2 people sword fighting each other (moving rapidly while close together), the odds are MUCH, MUCH higher than this to hit the wrong guy using archery.
That is very true. I sometimes use the rule that two in combat are really one big target- you can't distinguish one from the other in your aiming. So shoot away, but the odds are even which one you hit (assuming equal sizes).

-Fizz

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Fizz wrote:
That is very true. I sometimes use the rule that two in combat are really one big target- you can't distinguish one from the other in your aiming. So shoot away, but the odds are even which one you hit (assuming equal sizes).

-Fizz
I do the same thing. I first roll 50/50 to see which person becomes the target then have the player roll the D20. This was probably one of the driving forces behind the first wizard who researched the Magic Missile spell... ;)

House Rules

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I use 2-3.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

Omote wrote:I use 2-3.

~O
What about a natural 1? Is that just a miss, regardless?

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Arduin wrote:
Fizz wrote:

-Fizz
I do the same thing. I first roll 50/50 to see which person becomes the target then have the player roll the D20. This was probably one of the driving forces behind the first wizard who researched the Magic Missile spell... ;)

Now that is just evil!

In this area I diverge from reality - I know it's an odd thing in a game where magic exists gods & goddess answer prayers and instantly heal the wounded, orcs elves dwarves etc etc etc are behind every tree and rock :lol:

Yes in real life you will at best have a 50% chance to hit your friend, but to me even in my lower magic worlds we are being heroic. Sooooo, I ignore reality and make it lower I think the 1-3 puts the arrow on target to hit the friend . Then I roll a second attack dice to see if it makes it through their armor.

Also, I've been kicking around an idea for an archer class. 1 benefit would be that they are immune to friendly fire effects. That way even with a 1-3 they still will not hit their friend.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

Lurker wrote:
Arduin wrote:
Fizz wrote:

-Fizz

Now that is just evil!

In this area I diverge from reality - I know it's an odd thing in a game where magic exists gods & goddess answer prayers and instantly heal the wounded, orcs elves dwarves etc etc etc are behind every tree and rock :lol:

Yes in real life you will at best have a 50% chance to hit your friend, but to me even in my lower magic worlds we are being heroic. Sooooo, I ignore reality and make it lower I think the 1-3 puts the arrow on target to hit the friend . Then I roll a second attack dice to see if it makes it through their armor.

Also, I've been kicking around an idea for an archer class. 1 benefit would be that they are immune to friendly fire effects. That way even with a 1-3 they still will not hit their friend.
I use advantages, and have an advantage the removes this effect when fired within 30 feet.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Lurker wrote:
Arduin wrote: I do the same thing. I first roll 50/50 to see which person becomes the target then have the player roll the D20. This was probably one of the driving forces behind the first wizard who researched the Magic Missile spell... ;)

Now that is just evil!

Yes in real life you will at best have a 50% chance to hit your friend, but
As C&C is really a successor to AD&D we do it as per the DMG. That has worked well for over 30 years of play.

House Rules

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Lobo316 wrote:
Omote wrote:I use 2-3.

~O
What about a natural 1? Is that just a miss, regardless?
In my games, a natural 1 on the d20 roll is always a complete miss. In fact, I changed the rule to that if someone is firing a propelled weapon or hurled weapon into melee combat, a natural 1 is an automatic miss over everything. A natural 2-3 on the die roll (even if that would normally hit an opponent due to bonuses) will possibly hit a friendly target instead. Don't roll a natural 2-3 when shooting into melee combat in my games buster!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

I do it the same way that it is in the 40k RPG's. -20% on the to hit die roll (-4), if you miss because of the penalty, that is you fail to hit within 4, then you hit one of the other participants in the fight, determined randomly.