Gen Con Event Registration

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Gen Con Event Registration

Post by Snoring Rock »

Event Registration is May18th

They should post the schedule sometime this week if they do what they normally do. I know there are folks who haunt these forums who do not play or run games on the grid. I like both. I like knowing when I have a game and being able to count on that at a certain time. I know that just throwing down a bag of dice on an open table is good to. But I like being able to count on things.

Who is going to GenCon 2014 and who is running games? I have two games up, one on Thursday evening and one on Saturday evening. I limited the game to 6 players this time. It will be high level set in the Wilderlands and fighting the great red dragon, Analegorn and his young (if you call 800 years old, young).

So what are you running? Are Troll Lords running anything? Will there be much on the grid this year? Last year there was talk of a TLG game room. Where is that this year?

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Gen Con Event Registration

Post by tylermo »

I haven't heard anything more about a TLG room. I think it'll be a maintance closet with a small card table, a couple of broken chairs, and some 4-month old Dr. Pepper. ;)

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Or at Scotty's Brew House. I cant play with all the noise. But you may be right.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I have to contact the guys soon (regarding our June conventions). I'll try to remember the TLG game room inquiry. ;)

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Are the Trolls looking for posting games on the grid this year?

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Snoring Rock wrote: Event Registration is May18th

They should post the schedule sometime this week if they do what they normally do. I know there are folks who haunt these forums who do not play or run games on the grid. I like both. I like knowing when I have a game and being able to count on that at a certain time. I know that just throwing down a bag of dice on an open table is good to. But I like being able to count on things.
Ditto, Snoring Rock!
Snoring Rock wrote:Who is going to GenCon 2014 and who is running games?
I'll be attending again and plan to run one private game for a bunch of friends who usually get together once a year at the convention. Gonna throw down with one of my favorite old AD&D modules!
Snoring Rock wrote:I have two games up, one on Thursday evening and one on Saturday evening. I limited the game to 6 players this time. It will be high level set in the Wilderlands and fighting the great red dragon, Analegorn and his young (if you call 800 years old, young).

So what are you running?
Gonna throw down with one of my favorite old AD&D modules! I can't say which because one or more of them might see this...
Snoring Rock wrote:Are Troll Lords running anything? Will there be much on the grid this year? Last year there was talk of a TLG game room. Where is that this year?
Good luck with your sessions!
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Snoring Rock wrote:<snip> I cant play with all the noise. <snip>
I'm with you. Last year I tried my hand at The One Ring and there were so many people crammed around tables in a small room we had to shout to make out what was being said. Not fun.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

The games list was released today. Of all the thousands of games being run, mine are the only two games for C&C. Yet again, I stand alone. I know there are others, off the grid that maybe could, might happen at 7 or 8 on Friday, or Saturday, or whenever...

:(

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I don't go to Gen Con anymore, too dang expensive.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Snoring Rock wrote:The games list was released today. Of all the thousands of games being run, mine are the only two games for C&C. Yet again, I stand alone. I know there are others, off the grid that maybe could, might happen at 7 or 8 on Friday, or Saturday, or whenever...

This year's GC will only be my third. I'm still stoked about a couple of games I couldn't find at any other gaming con! But if I get around to running on-the-grid games at GC, like I did at Dragon Con and Origins, C&C will be my in-print game to run.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Since you will be there, be sure and get a ticket to my game either Thursday or Saturday night at 7pm. Bob II and Bob III tell me they will drop by. I am running Analegorn of JG Wilderlands fame. I wrote it myself.

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

I only found two Castles and Crusades games and both show sold out....is that all their is officially?

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

That's it. Sad really.

Actually, it is not too late. The Trolls can still enter games. GenCon is still accepting them. It seems counter-intuitive to me. Getting games on the grid at GenCon, seems to me to be a great way to get the word out there and have people try your game.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Snoring Rock wrote:That's it. Sad really.

Actually, it is not too late. The Trolls can still enter games. GenCon is still accepting them. It seems counter-intuitive to me. Getting games on the grid at GenCon, seems to me to be a great way to get the word out there and have people try your game.

I think it is more a matter of having people to run more games than anything else. As I'm sure the Trolls would love to have 5-6 official games at GenCon. I would also think that if GenCon is still excepting games, anyone willing to run a game should contact Steve and let him know you want to run an official game or register one yourself and let Steve know.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

Maybe next year....feel I should play in a few C&C before I run one. :D

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

thenorthman wrote:Maybe next year....feel I should play in a few C&C before I run one. :D
I get ya. I ran my first ever convention game at Con on the Cob a few years ago and it was a little nerve wracking. Luckily, my first session was with 3 friends (Tree, Jaybird, and Glad) and my 2nd session, while having Serleran and Omote in it, went well. Plus I got Serl to sign my 1st print M&T.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

I ran 5 games on the grid and 3 off the grid last year. The Trolls are very aware of my enthusiasm and willingness. No takers. There are plenty of us willing and able to run games. So head count for help is certainly not an issue.

The two games on the grid now, are mine. I have scheduled 3 off the grid as well.

It has been a busy time with back to back and over-lapping kickstarters so the dates were missed. Perhaps there is a difference in philosophy here. If it were me (it is not), I would have as many grid games as possible. It is a great way to spread the word and make your presence known. People looking for new stuff see you that way. Hidden games played off grid, get no attention at all. But I do not own or operate a game publishing company. My expertise is not in marketing, so maybe I am off base.

I think it has worked well for Paizo pretty well. Again, what do I know?

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

TLG doesn't have a swarm of volunteers to run these games like Paizo does. All (or most) games being run has to come from the fans. Much like all small press publishing, the fans need to make this happen. I mentioned this before, but it's weird to go to GaryCon and see 20 C&C games on the schedule, and only a handful at GenCon. Perhaps, cons like GenCon do not cater to the classic style D&D crowd as much as smaller, more focused conventions. This statement could even be true from a C&C fan's perspective who may not want to run games at GenCon, but does want to run them at smaller conventions.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Snoring Rock wrote:I ran 5 games on the grid and 3 off the grid last year. The Trolls are very aware of my enthusiasm and willingness. No takers. There are plenty of us willing and able to run games. So head count for help is certainly not an issue.

The two games on the grid now, are mine. I have scheduled 3 off the grid as well.

It has been a busy time with back to back and over-lapping kickstarters so the dates were missed. Perhaps there is a difference in philosophy here. If it were me (it is not), I would have as many grid games as possible. It is a great way to spread the word and make your presence known. People looking for new stuff see you that way. Hidden games played off grid, get no attention at all. But I do not own or operate a game publishing company. My expertise is not in marketing, so maybe I am off base.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone and I'm glad you are running 2 on grid games. The problem is, you are the only one.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Omote wrote:TLG doesn't have a swarm of volunteers to run these games like Paizo does. All (or most) games being run has to come from the fans. Much like all small press publishing, the fans need to make this happen. I mentioned this before, but it's weird to go to GaryCon and see 20 C&C games on the schedule, and only a handful at GenCon. Perhaps, cons like GenCon do not cater to the classic style D&D crowd as much as smaller, more focused conventions. This statement could even be true from a C&C fan's perspective who may not want to run games at GenCon, but does want to run them at smaller conventions.

~O
I would much rather go to a smaller Con than GenCon. And I will be running 2 sessions this year at CotC.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Nice Rig. I'll also point to a brand new con in the Cleveland area called ConCoction. It's a small, mostly game con that was last weekend. I think they had about 200 people and are looking to expand next year (around May 2015). I'll probably run a game or two there. I'm not sure if I'm going to run C&C at Con-on-the-Cob this year or not. I think C&C is going to be well rep'd by you and a few others that I heard about. I might do a round or two of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2E and/or some Star Trek Attack Wing. Maybe even some Robotech RPG Tactics (miniatures). I was talking to James Y of COTC fame, and he is also planning on running some classic, old-school stuff. There's going to be a lot at COB this year.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Omote wrote:Nice Rig. I'll also point to a brand new con in the Cleveland area called ConCoction. It's a small, mostly game con that was last weekend. I think they had about 200 people and are looking to expand next year (around May 2015). I'll probably run a game or two there. I'm not sure if I'm going to run C&C at Con-on-the-Cob this year or not. I think C&C is going to be well rep'd by you and a few others that I heard about. I might do a round or two of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2E and/or some Star Trek Attack Wing. Maybe even some Robotech RPG Tactics (miniatures). I was talking to James Y of COTC fame, and he is also planning on running some classic, old-school stuff. There's going to be a lot at COB this year.

~O
I am definitely going to try to game more this year. I just have to stay away from Jay and Jeebus. They ruin everything (in a good way).

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Rigon wrote:
Snoring Rock wrote:I ran 5 games on the grid and 3 off the grid last year. The Trolls are very aware of my enthusiasm and willingness. No takers. There are plenty of us willing and able to run games. So head count for help is certainly not an issue.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone and I'm glad you are running 2 on grid games. The problem is, you are the only one.

R-
I wish that were not the case, but I will have fun no matter what. I love the huge GenCon atmosphere. I get to meet big names and everything you can imagine is there to see. I do wish C&C had more representation on the game floor than ODD or B/X does.

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

Sad to say that I didn't opt to run my own games this year because (with an 18 month old who gets into everything) I didn't feel like I will have the time to do the prepwork I'd usually have for a con game.

The times I've run at GC in years past have been a mixed bag. Two years ago I ran three games that I'd run with great success at WhosYerCon, but at GC two of the slots were washouts-- players didn't show and I had to cancel them. The one that everyone showed at didn't last two hours before the party splintered and half the group more or less TPK'd each other. Then last year I ran three, set up by the Trolls, and the attendance was great, and so were the games themselves, and a lot of folks had a blast.
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

zacharythefirst
Red Cap

Post by zacharythefirst »

I'm doing some seminars, but no official games this year. I'm thinking of doing an unofficial run through Tomb of Horrors using C&C, though. Should be...lethal. :)

EDIT: A lot of truth in this thread. I don't think I can do much about it this year, but next year, I'll commit to a couple of slot running C&C "on-grid" at GC.
Visit RPG Blog 2
Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
-Tennyson

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

zacharythefirst wrote:I'm doing some seminars, but no official games this year. I'm thinking of doing an unofficial run through Tomb of Horrors using C&C, though. Should be...lethal. :)

EDIT: A lot of truth in this thread. I don't think I can do much about it this year, but next year, I'll commit to a couple of slot running C&C "on-grid" at GC.
Hopefully, next year, with the help of the KotC, there will be more games at GenCon next year.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I'm going... and it's my first time at GenCon this year. I've run demos and such in stores and the process to set up a game seems not too difficult but being my first time at GenCon, I didn't want to worry about running anything officially.

Would love to meet up with my fellow Crusaders at some point. Who knows... maybe do some sort of unofficial pick up game.

M

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

moriarty777 wrote:Would love to meet up with my fellow Crusaders at some point. Who knows... maybe do some sort of unofficial pick up game.
This part seems to happen more than actual, officially schedules C&C games.

The problem is, off-grid C&C games do not usually come together until during the CON. Besides SnoringRock's off-grid games last year (which I couldn't attend... dammit), there were at least two others I heard about. One of them had 11 or 12 people playing!

So they are out there, but the question is how does one coordinate best these off-grid games? And since sometimes it is hard to find a spot to play (particularly hard for people who haven't been to GenCon often, or don't know the hotel scene), proposed off-grid games dissolve soon after they start.

So here's a quick and dirty idea... I started a Facebook group!

C&C @ GENCON ~ A Crusader's Guide to "Off-Grid" Games

If we want to get together, and discuss our on or off-grid games, Facebook provides and amazingly easy way to coordinate this. Plus, you can get this Facebook group on your smartphone. Get updates to on and off-grid C&C games on the go.

If you are on THE FACEBOOK, search out this group name.

I set the group up as a open group. Maybe this will be a great way to have GENCON CRUSADERS be able to coordinate a little bit more effectively.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I started a seperate thread to get this going. If you are interested, hop on over to
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14330

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

If you are going to GenCon, and looking to get in some OFF-GRID C&C while there, may I suggest you check out the following Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Castles ... desGENCON/

This is an OPEN group, but you have to "JOIN" this group and wait for a moderator to let you in. We do this to avoid unnecessary spamming and people who are not truly looking to play some off-grid C&C at GenCon. We apologize in advance if this is not optimal for you. At least it is a viable option to get in some much needed C&C at GenCon! If you are already a member, please tell your friends that are interested in playing off-grid C&C games at GenCon.

There are spots opening up for C&C at GenCon. I you haven't played with our very own resident Crusader Maximus SnoringRock, you owe it to yourself to get in on one of his mega-games! He's now offering up slots at his table! Get in now while the getting is good.

I've been asked a few times as to why I made this little CLOSED C&C group on Facebook, well here's the reason:
With the Facebook app on your phone, you can easily check to see who posts in the C&C @ GENCON, A CRUSADER'S GUIDE TO OFF-GRID GAMES and see up-to-the-minute who has openings in their off-grid games, and where those games are. This is a perennial problem at GenCon. Having a list of games at the TLG booth is cool, but the Dealer's Room is only open so many hours. Plus, the Trolls are not responsible for getting you in contact with other off-grid games. They've got enough to do selling product and shoeing away Tom Tullis of Fat Dragon Games. I have personally played in a few off-grid C&C games that never got enough players (perhaps 1-2) that had to fold because not enough people showed up, or knew where the C&C game was. The following days you hear endless players say "oh man, that would have been cool to go to if I only knew about it" and the like.

Don't let the enormity of GENCON get you down. If you want to play C&C, there ARE games being played. Please use this little resource to find them.

See you at the show.

~O

PS: It's funny, with the off-grid C&C games being run, and in the manner of requiring times and slots for these games, it's almost like a mini-C&C conventions within GenCon. :)
VAE VICTUS!