Tales from the Table: How Are You Using/Planning to Use C&C?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
pawndream
Red Cap

Tales from the Table: How Are You Using/Planning to Use C&C?

Post by pawndream »

First off, congratulations to the Troll Lords for running a highly entertaining, extremely rewarding, immensely fun Kickstarter to bring the Three Sisters into the World of Color. It was a heck of a ride!

Hopefully this Kickstarter will bring a lot of fresh blood, err new Crusaders to the Fight!

I thought it might be fun to start a thread where we could briefly describe our current Castles and Crusades campaigns and maybe even discuss plans for new campaigns we might have in the works. I think it will be interesting to see the way members of the community are using C&C.

I will start it off, hopefully others will play along :)

Active Campaign
I am currently running a Play-by-Post C&C game on RPoL.net in a homebrew setting that is a hodge-podge of ideas from different campaign settings (Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Lankhmar, Thieves World, Star Wars, etc.). This is a very pulpy, low-magic campaign that revolves around adventures in and near a large metropolis, Stormhaven. I have been running this game for just over two years and the characters are currently level 3-5. Most of the players have been in the game since it started, a rarity for play-by-post.

Campaigns-in-the-Works
I have been slowly putting together the pieces to run a Haunted Highlands Play-by-Post for the past month or so and am pretty close to advertising for players.

I am also trying to work out details on the feasibility of running a C&C game on Roll20 or perhaps even locally (any of you out there on the island of Oahu and interested in playing some C&C?).

So, what other sorts of C&C games are going on out there?

pawn

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Tales from the Table: How Are You Using/Planning to Use

Post by Treebore »

My current game has been centered around running everyone through as many of the 1E modules as possible, and are currently wrapping up the last of the Slavelords. From there, assuming they live, Tegal Manor is probably next.

My next campaign ideas have been jumping around. My main ideas have been involving the use of the Ravenloft setting, but I have had others that may win out in the end.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Started a new group who hadn't gamed in decades or never gamed with the Brave Halflings Ruins of Ramat, then we went on to the A-Series. It has a few home brew things, mix of monotheism/polytheism from an adventure I'm working on. In Botkinburg wit the Characters finishing up their level training, mostly level 2 or 3. Our face to face group has a lot of moves out of the area for work, but we're using Fantasy Grounds to keep going. I have the Ultimate version, so all they need is the free version from Steam. Did a couple of sessions using FG, one face to face with all our laptops. That helped a lot. We'll likely have one final game. FG is much easier clean-up, no need for a stuff - minis, pawns, flip maps, screens, books, food, drinks, table set up. But then again, I know I'll miss all that stuff! A tournament, jousting and the like, is coming up as part of the Knight's training, and the Assassin in the group is being forced to take out Voltmor the king. Will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I'm currently running a homebrew campaign that steals stuff from all over. At the moment, I'm running my players through the Lost Tomb of Shaggoth the Necromancer.

There is a forum on this site called "The Crusades" dedicated to people posting about their ongoing campaigns. It's just a little farther down from "The Rules, the Law, and the Chaos."
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Shadowslayer
Ungern

Post by Shadowslayer »

I'm currently running a game for my 15 year old daughter, my better half, and my better half's best friend. Yup....I DM an all girl group.

Were just doing basic C&C, no fancy houserules. Combat is with a battlegrid and minis.

Everyone is a newb so everyone is learning. I was afraid they wouldn't like it enough to come back, but they were more into it then I expected.

The campaign itself is set loosely in the Wilderlands...or at least those are the maps I use. It is set in a small Kingdom...I sort of liken it to the Camelot of the British "Merlin" tv show. (Makes it easier for them to visualize)

Got a loose arc set up with a plotline that connects Beacon at Enan Tor, to Fairhill and parts of Crucible of Freya. Then we'll hit my own butchered version of the 3e Sunless Citadel module. (Its basically that module, except that the dungeon map, and the factions, have been broken into bits and spread around a large forest.)

We're having fun with it.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm running a series of mods from Dungeon Mags based in FR and will follow it up with some other adventures as I come across them. There are a few in Dungeon that are compared to ToH, so I may give them a look.

I'm also running some teenagers through whatever adventure I have to hand. They're not picking and just want to play. Which is fine with me for now, as they are just learning the game, but eventually, I want to start them on a campaign.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Hoping to get my home campaign onto C&C.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

gabriellyon
Hlobane Orc

Post by gabriellyon »

Ongoing Game:
Set out of Kalas and using some modules including castle of the mad archmage. 4 PC's currently with an option to add a fifth player if we find someone interested.

Demos
Free RPG Day at DOK's- I will, assuming I get the module in time, be running this years C&C free RPG module, same as last year. Last years demo went over very very well and helped to stir up enough interest that the store now carries C&C.

International Games Day at your Library- University of Delaware Library will be hosting the ALA sponsored Game Day and I intend to use C&C for one to two demos for rpg's. The other one we may have running is Savage worlds.

So far these are the only two confirmed events I am scheduled to do.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Active & Ongoing
I'm currently running a C&C campaign set in Frog God Games Lost Lands setting (Rappan Athuk, Slumbeing Tsar, Tomb of Abysthor, Bard's Gate, etc). This campaign is about ready to enter its 2nd year. We play approximately 2-3 times per month. The characters started at 3rd level and are now all approaching 9th or so. The basis of the game is Rappan Athuk Reborn! Re-delving into a dungeon that the former campaign believed to have "cleared out" 20 years prior. The previous characters already ran through Rappan Athuk, but only hit about 50% of that dungeon before defeating the big bad Orcus. Now, the forces of evil and Orcus himself attempts to crack the seal that keeps Him from the Ayrith and once again set upon the lands that his forces dominated in the past. Currently the group plumbs the depths of the Tombs of Abysthor in search of answers to the possibility of Orcus's return.

The second campaign is a low-powered, political drama set within the Free City of Greyhawk. The power-mongering Thieve's Guild has been laid low after the events of the Beggar's War. Now, they are trying to hold on to the reigns of power within, and outside of the city walls. The influence of the demon Fraz Urb'luu and his lich lieutenants Has Baal Bar weigh mightily upon the party who is trying to discover the dark secrets bubbling up from beneath the City of Hawks.

Future Campaign Thoughts
Thinking about two types of campaigns next. One, of classic adventure set within the Haunted Highlands.

The other, children of regents in a Song of Ice and Fire style campaign set within the Birthright setting. It all began with a storm that sealed the fates of children by turning them into adults far before the times set by their parents. Can the blooded children of powerful nobles actually force change in the kingdom my claiming control of their own lands? What will the parents do to children who threaten to gain power do to their own flesh and blood? Does blood really mean more than family or wealth?

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

Current: I'm running a sorta-homebrew C&C campaign using Gygax Magazine's Gnatdamp town setting as a base template for the family, kid included. Also, am GMing the Dresden Files RPG for the other gaming group (for grownups).

Plans: To get the gaming group for adults to eventually try C&C. We've done AD&D 1st edition, D&D 4th edition. While I think most are anticipating transitioning back to D&D when 5th edition releases, I continue to be the voice of dissent in favor of C&C. Everything I enjoyed about D&D 4th edition was about the stories and nothing about the system. I'm not sure 5th edition will be any different and thus, would rather go with Castles & Crusades for its internal consistency, solid and easily comprehensible rule system, and having just enough rules and tools to tell the stories I'd like to do.

dunbruha
Ulthal

Post by dunbruha »

I'm running my group in my world based on the Wilderlands. They started out in the ToEE, but have left that (for now) and are exploring the Black Monastery (from FGG).

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Post by Fiffergrund »

I'm running my homebrew as described in the Crusader Hammer & Anvil articles. We're into some dungeon exploration beneath Acton Dinsbury now.

It's pretty awesome when the players (not just the characters) realize that everything they've been standing on is just a veneer.
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Not for a long time. When I do, though, its going to have TORG inspirations in that each continent introduces its own "rules" for characters. Have a large campaign to finish first.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Check out the above "Masters of the Keep" at their Crusades descriptions. Many of them give you great detail in their on just about all they do.. I think Buttmonkey spends more time detailing his groups antics than playing.. the man as the patience of a saint.

Welcome and share your campaign in "Crusades'..

Cap
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

shadow
Skobbit

Post by shadow »

After our group finishes our Shadowrun game, I plan to run Planescape with Castles & Crusades. I thought about using the 3.5 rules, but with so many splatbooks for 3.5 I figured it would be easier to make characters using Castles & Crusades.

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Our current C&C campaign is my 1st ever Forgotten Realms campaign, set using the 3rd edition era sourcebook and some 2e material.

Prior to that we have run 4 C&C campaigns: Our 1st campaign was an Aihrde campaign that was epic, and was the inspiration for the story "Winds of Fate" that 2 of my players Roz & Brooke wrote, followed by a campaign in my own world of Ilshara, a 2nd Aihrde campaign, then a very epic Greyhawk campaign. Each campaign has been around 1 to 1 1/2 years - we started back in 2007 with the 1st. We started the Realms just this year.

We took 2 short breaks for a Shadowrun campaign run by one of my group between two of the above campaigns, and last year between Greyhawk and FR we did a brief Amazing Adventures short campaign that was a blast.
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

Omote,

You have some fascinating campaigns. I always liked Birthright, I wish it would have continued into 3ed D&D.

JLL

Greyblade
Hlobane Orc

Post by Greyblade »

Moved all my D&D-styled gaming from 3.5/Pathfinder to C&C 2 years ago, and I haven't looked back.

The simplicity of it all was a breath of fresh air after playing for years with the rule bloat. Couldn't be arsed to run anything with PF or 3.5 anymore tbh.
Durka durka Muhammad djihad

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Captain_K wrote:I think Buttmonkey spends more time detailing his groups antics than playing.. the man as the patience of a saint.
It takes quite a bit of time, but it's not bad. Unfortunately, doing the campaign journal feels like homework compared to actually playing and I fear my journal is sometimes (hopefully not always) pretty damn dry as a result. I keep meaning to try to do a second draft of my journals to make them more interesting, funny, etc., but I keep slapping them together and posting them in a rush. Writing a really good campaign journal is a bitch! I'll do my best to put up a stellar entry after this coming Saturday's game session.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.