Free Rpg day 2014

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Portly Fighter
Mist Elf

Free Rpg day 2014

Post by Portly Fighter »

Hey guys! I posted this on G+ as well, but for anyone interested in the Northern Utah area, I will be running a C&C game for free rpg day this coming Saturday at Game Haven in Bountiful! To my knowledge they have never had any C&C played there so I am hoping to make a good impression. As an aside, it doesn't look like they ordered the Free Rpg Day pack. Is there any other way to get the included C&C module so I can run it? If not, what other module would make a good short "demo" type adventure?

DeadReborn
Ulthal

Re: Free Rpg day 2014

Post by DeadReborn »

The Dwarven Glory modules are made for such a thing. They have the PDFs over on DriveThru:
Looking Stones
Wyrm Well
The Winding Stair
I'm thinking of running one these at my LGS on Free RPG Day as well. Good luck with the game and welcome to the Crusade!
"My simple card trick has turned you into an ice cream cone!
Which means...I AM A LEVEL TEN WIZARD!"-SpongeBob SquarePants

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I don't know what your time constraints are, but if it's a couple of hours I'd recommend "Ruins of Ramat"

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/65697/The ... f-Ramat-CC

It's uncomplicated and plays fairly quickly. I think Rising Knight is a pretty good module, but I could say taking your whole time block with the players interrogating villagers and fairies and the like before anyone gets to a dungeon. Maybe other people are much more efficient CKs than I am.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Portly Fighter
Mist Elf

Post by Portly Fighter »

Thanks for the replies everyone! By a stroke of luck I was able to get my hands on the free rpg day module after all. I am very excited to be introducing this game to a whole new group of people and hopefully convert some of the 4E and Pathfinder players over to C&C. I'll be sure to let you guys know how the game went.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Awesome!
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Portly Fighter wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone! By a stroke of luck I was able to get my hands on the free rpg day module after all. I am very excited to be introducing this game to a whole new group of people and hopefully convert some of the 4E and Pathfinder players over to C&C. I'll be sure to let you guys know how the game went.
Glad you got it and hope you enjoy it. If you have any questions about it, just ask.

My only regret is the magic item I put in at the end. It's an item I made up for my group and loved it, so I put it in this module. Only too late did I realize it was an item that got more powerful as time went on and I put it in a one-shot adventure. :?

gabriellyon
Hlobane Orc

Post by gabriellyon »

Anyone near Delaware can join us at Days of Knights for this years C&C adventure module.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

The convention I'm working coincides with Free RPG Day. I won't be able to go to the store (an hour and 15 away) to snag a copy. Hopefully, one of the ebay or Amazon gougers will have a copy. :( I missed In Search of Adventure a couple of years ago, as well.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

My review of the Lamentations of the Flame Princess offering, in 5 words or less: FUCK YEAH! :D

I also by total coincidence had the pleasure of meeting Brian Kowalski, the creator of Cookie Fu and TLG co-conspirator! He's a great guy!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

zacharythefirst
Red Cap

Post by zacharythefirst »

No Free RPG Day for me this week. I wasn't able to score a copy, either. I'll keep an eye out for a copy to pop up.
Visit RPG Blog 2
Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
-Tennyson

Portly Fighter
Mist Elf

Post by Portly Fighter »

Much to my dismay, I ended up having to work so I had to cancel the game I was planning to run. I am however planning on running another demo session there soon to try to convert some people to C&C, and hopefully get my store to carry TLG stuff.

zacharythefirst
Red Cap

Portly Fighter wrote:Much to my dismay, I ended up having to work so I had to cancel the game I was planning to run. I am however planning on running another demo session there soon to try to convert some people to C&C, and hopefully get my store to carry TLG stuff.
Very cool. I think C&C is such an easy game to demo, because it's so easy to relay the concepts and have it seem familiar to players, whether they haven't played since 1985 or are a Pathfinder player.
Visit RPG Blog 2
Come, my friends,
-Tennyson

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Very cool. I think C&C is such an easy game to demo, because it's so easy to relay the concepts and have it seem familiar to players, whether they haven't played since 1985 or are a Pathfinder player.
+1
This is what got me into C&C in the first place. I had wanted to try RPGs again after losing touch with the hobby after collge, but wading into PF or even my old 2nd ed books seemed like a huge task.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I had a good Free RPG Day. I noted on FB and G+ that I somehow lucked into getting the FRPGD copy of the new printing of the PHB. Super excited about that! Though I'm torn - it has a special page at the front that states it's a FRPGD special release of only 300. So, I've been very careful not to be too rough with it (and with Tim's announcement that copies are going to start going out to KS backers, I can put this bad boy away! :)).

Anyway, I didn't have time to run a session, but I did sit down with some folks and we went over character creation, the primes, and SIEGE mechanic. I think they were really intrigued. Then I spent about 20-30 minutes answering questions about the system. It was a pretty good time!
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

Free RPG day was kind to me as well. My brother and I got to our FLGS (Phantom Games) shortly before doors opened and there was already a small line. This year we managed to get our hands on the C&C item, which last year was gone by the time we got there (hence why we planned on being there at door's open). No FRPG Day printing of the new PHB, so I must wait until it is sent out to backers. So, I consoled myself with Bluffside, City on the Edge; which somehow I didn't yet own. But, all in all, a good experience. Also managed to get the Fate Dice and the Valiant quickstart rules.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Any other weekend would have been ok

Post by Zudrak »

My wife and I scheduled our 1 year-old's birthday party for yesterday long before I knew Steve and Tim were going to be visiting All Things Fun! in Berlin for Free RPG Day. That means I was too busy doing house- and yardwork, along with cooking and baking, to get away from the house long enough to make a trip to the store. I hope the event was fun (as things at Ed & Dina's store often are!) and that Steve and Tim had safe travels there and back again. I hope to catch TLG the next time they head east.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Free RPG Day was 'meh' for me. The two local stores that we doing something for it weren't doing much either and seem very restrictive about how they operated it.

Normally, I am asked to run something (since I'm the C&C guy at that store) but I hadn't heard from them at all this year. I've been busy myself so Free RPG Day kind of snuck up on me.

Regardless, I woke up bright and early that day and go to one of the two stores. They had a table in the back of the store and we were allowed to choose one item and one item only. Well, understandable that they want to allow supplies to last and all but, at one item only I chose the TLG module.

As a side-rant -- Why doesn't TLG put these up for free or even for a $1 on RPGNow/Drivethru? It's a shame that these great little scenarios aren't available. Last years offering, 'Pot of Broken Bones' I think it was called, was never made available (and if it has, I haven't seen it) beyond the printed copies in Free RPG Day. I fear it might be the same for 'Druid's Lament' this year. I get doing exclusives for Kickstarters and, while I think it is a shame not to have these available digitally, exclusives are exclusives. But I don't see Free RPG Day exactly the same way. Don't do any print runs beyond the Free RPG Day ones but make them available for PDF for free. Now... back to the story.

So... with my one Druid's Lament in hand, I then do my bit to support the store. I had been cutting down expenses recently and even selling some gaming stuff in order to help pay the bills and prepare for my trip to GenCon this year. It was nice to spend a bit of money. Being addicted to the Star Wars miniatures game, I picked up a Tie Interceptor -- I was in need of a second one. I also chanced upon a copy of the 'Mesopotamia' book published by Necromancer Games a few years back which was on my want list. It was pretty much a new copy but buried and lost among all the other stuff on the shelves and severely discounted as an older d20 product. So, I move on and I didn't think I would end up hitting my regular store since I was in a different part of town with tons to do.

By a curious twist of fate, I did end up going by the other store much later in the day. I walked in, saw a game being run in the corner and the person behind the counter was friendly enough. Nothing seemed to be happening for Free RPG Day though.

I saw the new wave of released for that blasted Star Wars miniatures game and I decided to pick up a Tie Defender. While purchasing it, I inquire about Free RPG Day and he gets the box of swag out from behind the counter. It looked like they hadn't started giving the stuff out yet. But because I asked and because they know me, they had no issues in giving me something from the box... in this case, the LotFP offering. Apparently the rest of the stuff was going to be given out shortly with some of the unique/single items in the box randomly drawn and given to people presently gaming in the store and multiple item copies being distributed freely thereafter in the late afternoon (the shop was open till 10 or 11pm).

I thought it was a weird approach but I suppose it was a way to avoid people coming in early to try and grab everything they could without buying or spending much time in the store. I honestly never really noticed what they did in previous years since I was always running a game and my focus was with that. Besides, since I ran a game, they gave me a copy of the C&C module beforehand and made sure to set aside another item or two for me on the day of the event.

It didn't seem to come close to compare to the Free RPG Days I had seen in previous years though.

M

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I was visiting my daughter in college and missed Free RPG Day at my local store, but I dropped by the one near where she lives. They had a neat deal -- with purchase you get to pick one item from table one and one item from table two. Table one was this year's stuff and table two was anything left over from previous years.

Frankly, I was stunned to find anyone with stuff left over from previous years. :-O

I got the new C&C module and an older C&C module (2010, I think, with quick-start rules in it).
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

zacharythefirst
Red Cap

I lost my 2010 Quick Start Rules at some point (one of our two moves), so I ordered another one from a third-party seller. I told my daughter it'll be hers to learn before we start a new 1-on-1 campaign. :)
Visit RPG Blog 2
Come, my friends,
-Tennyson