Classic Monsters and Of Gods and Monsters...

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
DMSamuel
Red Cap

Classic Monsters and Of Gods and Monsters...

Post by DMSamuel »

I have a very healthy RPG collection (including the core PHB, CKG, and M&T, along with several editions worth of D&D creature guides) and yet I am soooo tempted to purchase these two books. I am so tempted that they are, right now, in my shopping cart at the TLG store.

So my question is - Do I need them? What will they offer to me that i possibly don't have?

Any insight that will help me to make the purchase decision will be appreciated. :)
~DMSamuel
---
Actual Play Podcast (5e): D&DeBrief

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Classic Monsters and Of Gods and Monsters...

Post by Arduin »

DMSamuel wrote:I have a very healthy RPG collection (including the core PHB, CKG, and M&T, along with several editions worth of D&D creature guides) and yet I am soooo tempted to purchase these two books. I am so tempted that they are, right now, in my shopping cart at the TLG store.

So my question is - Do I need them? What will they offer to me that i possibly don't have?

Any insight that will help me to make the purchase decision will be appreciated. :)
Of Gods & Monsters is not just collection of well, Gods & monsters. It is a fresh look at how to play Gods...
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

For long-term players who have seen a good chunk of the usual monsters, I find having more variety and potentially things that will surprise them is of great benefit. I also think both books are nicely done, with Of Gods & Monsters having some extra oomph besides monsters, as mentioned in how to play gods but also how to play their worshipers and allow a bit more customization for clerics specific to their deities of choice.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Classic Monsters is the best thing ever written.

:twisted: ;)

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

AGNKim wrote:Classic Monsters is the best thing ever written.

LOL - how can I go wrong with such a ringing endorsement? :D
~DMSamuel
---

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

DMSamuel wrote:

Buyer beware! AGNKim is the author! But the book is pretty awesome if you're looking to add more of the original AD&D critters to your game, plus some new ones.

zacharythefirst
Red Cap

Post by zacharythefirst »

Classic Monsters is a tremendous book. It's such a great resource for the Castle Keeper--and provides a steady stream of not just challenging monsters, but really interesting ones--to throw at a gaming group. There are plenty of classic beasties included, of course, as the name might suggest. :)
Visit RPG Blog 2
Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
-Tennyson

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

dachda wrote:
DMSamuel wrote:

Buyer beware! AGNKim is the author! But the book is pretty awesome if you're looking to add more of the original AD&D critters to your game, plus some new ones.
Yeah, I got that from the signature - hence the smiley. Thanks for the warning though - While I'm a relative newbie, I've been lurking for quite some time. ;)
~DMSamuel
---

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

DMSamuel wrote: Any insight that will help me to make the purchase decision will be appreciated. :)
Swinging back around. I bought Classic Monsters as I wanted them converted for my use. You won't be disappointed in you buy it too. It is very well done.

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Of Gods and Monsters not only have the Gods and Monsters, but spells and magic items too. As well as powers that the worshipers can earn, even if not a divine caster, some of which you may want to house rule to taste. I enjoyed reading it and really liked the write up on the American Indian Mytho's, in particular.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

Classic Monsters is a very nice book that has most of the best stuff from the 1e Fiend Folio and MM2, with perhaps a few unique to C&C creatures as well. While I have the original books the monsters were culled from, and they are easy to convert on the fly, it is nice having them in ready-C&C format. I would repurchase this book in a heartbeat.

I picked up Of Gods and Monsters when Troll Lords was running an incredible holiday sale. I think I actually got Classic Monsters, Of Gods and Monsters and Creatures of Aihrde for about $25, which is a phenomenal deal.

Gods and Monsters is a quality book as well, but it falls into more of a nice-to-have, but not must-have niche for me. I generally don't use real-world mythos in my games, so those type of entries are not that useful. The generic humanoid deities that are included in the book (dwarf, elf, halfling, etc.), are well, kind of, generic and bland. Not sure if these were a straight simulacrum of the AD&D deities, with serial numbers filed off. The Aihrde pantheon is featured as well, so not sure if that is of interest to you.

I probably wouldn't pay full price for Gods and Monsters, not because the book is bad, but more due to the fact I probably won't use it for much. It wasn't a bad read though, and was well worth the small amount I ended up paying for it.

Hope that helps.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I can +1 the vote for Classic Monsters. It gives my beaten up copies of the AD&D MMII and Fiend Folio a break as well as adding in a fresh spin on some old favorites. Would love to see a Classic Monsters II (Hint, Hint). I really don't like deity books so I couldn't tell you on the other.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Post by Fiffergrund »

Classic Monsters is fantastic. And I am a die-hard devotee of the FF and MM2. I was shocked, quite frankly, that some of the creatures chosen made it in there - and I was very happy about it.

Of Gods and Monsters is worth the price just to see how Jim Ward's thinking has evolved since Deities and Demigods.
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Initially, I had reservations about Classic Monsters as I felt that they were done, and done well the first time. However, I have had a chance to look it over and, from the parts I've read (admittedly I have not had the time), I liked what I saw. Nilbogs, for example, were different but usable. It seems obvious that love for the source was there, but personalized to be something it was not -- and that's what it should be. Not a simple redo.

As it related to Of Gods and Monsters, my favorite parts are still the racial spells. I would likely grant many of them to various additional races, but they provide some fun kicks to the usual.

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

Thanks everyone for your helpful input! I went ahead and ordered both books! YAY!
~DMSamuel
---

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for the kind words. Classic Monsters was a joy to write. Glad you all enjoy it. I'm trying to do the same things for the demons and devils book I'm currently writing. Wish me luck. :)

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

AGNKim wrote:I'm trying to do the same things for the demons and devils book I'm currently writing. Wish me luck. :)
Is it something like Tome of the Unclean from last Fall?

House Rules

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

DMSamuel wrote:Thanks everyone for your helpful input! I went ahead and ordered both books! YAY!
May your players quake!

House Rules

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Arduin wrote:
AGNKim wrote:I'm trying to do the same things for the demons and devils book I'm currently writing. Wish me luck. :)
It is Tome of the Unclean. It's an ongoing work. It hasn't been completed yet.

Lordsloth
Henchman

Post by Lordsloth »

Interesting! I am a big fan of the Demons/Devils/Daemons from 1E-3E.

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

AGNKim wrote: It is Tome of the Unclean. It's an ongoing work. It hasn't been completed yet.
Fantastic! Another one to look forward to on the horizon. :)

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

AGNKim wrote:
Arduin wrote:
It is Tome of the Unclean. It's an ongoing work. It hasn't been completed yet.
Just got the latest update a few days ago! :)

House Rules

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I'm waiting for the full on hardback to come out but from what I hear it's gonna be a winner!

One thing I will add is that I have been phasing my AD&D books out of use to save wear and tear on them now that the C&C line has gotten bigger. With this many quality books to choose from I don't feel I need to use them as much unless it is for some nostalgia or inspirational reading. It also helps at the game shops when younger gamers see you pull out a few extra books beyond the core, they seem to get more interested.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

Julian Grimm wrote:I'm waiting for the full on hardback to come out but from what I hear it's gonna be a winner!
That is what I am going to do as well!

By the way, Of Gods and Monsters and Classic Monsters showed up this week and they are beautiful!
~DMSamuel
---