Black Box?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Warunsun
Hlobane Orc

Re: Black Box?

Post by Warunsun »

Rigon wrote:I wish one of my good friends going to GenCon would pick me up a copy of the Black Box and mail it to me.
I am sure that TLG will sell them on the website after the convention. Until very recently there were copies of the White Box available from years ago! I bought one in April of this year.

galladril
Mist Elf

Post by galladril »

seskis281 wrote:It's a simple black box containing:

1. A can of Dr. Pepper
2. Roll of duct tape
3. 1-sheet pamphlet with suggestions for use of both
I'd actually buy that... Throw the C&C logo on the cover in Gold Leaf, and you have a winner.

So, I was digging through Stephan's Kickstarter comments, and this is what I came up with, in case anyone missed it (I certainly did.)

Someone named Pat asked: "So Steve... Any plans on getting the Story Teller's Thesaurus in print for Gen Con? ;)"

"Pat, not as of yet. It would be great, but not right now. We do have the black box for Gencon though! Steve"

Pat then asked: "Black Box? Please... tell me more."

"Back in 2004 we released a white box, designed just like the original D&D boxes. That was for the 30th anniversary. This gencon is C&C's 10th and D&D's 40th and we are planning to put out a black box to celebrate. Within will be 6 teaser classes from Adventurers Backpack, new spells, Aihrde stores and more! That's the plan. Steve"

Someone named Douglas asked: "Will the black box be made available outside of Gen Con?"

@Douglas -- Yes it will be available outside of Gencon. Tim

Someone named "Experiencing" asked: Troll Lord - Can we pre-order the black box?

"Not at the moment for the Black Box, but if we do decide, we'll make sure to let ppl know in the updates or on the social media. Tim"

I can tell you all this - this is my number 1 item to snag in the Dealer's Hall. I also need to pick up a copy of F5 (I don't know how I missed that release) and a new screen.

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

Unfortunately I cannot make it to GenCon, but I will be getting this as soon as it is available to us non-con-goers! It will sit nicely next to my white box.
~DMSamuel
---
Actual Play Podcast (5e): D&DeBrief

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Nice investigative work. TLG hasn't talked about this much. One of the authors(?) AGNKim mentioned briefly that he was working on this back in June on these very message boards. Unfortunately, I cannot find that comment. He did not mention what type of work he was doing for The Black Box.

There was a picture on Facebook or Google+, which in the background of some Dr. Pepper and other nonsense a mock up of the The Black Box cover could be seen. However, there was no specific mention of the contents of The Black Box.

Since we haven't heard anything about this box, I really hope TLG got this done in time for GenCon. That would be a nice surprise for the con-goers.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

zacharythefirst
Red Cap

Post by zacharythefirst »

I asked today, and it sounds like they're doing their best to have it done for Gen Con. I really hope they do!
Visit RPG Blog 2
Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
-Tennyson

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

There is one slight mention of the Black Box on the Troll Blog here:
http://trolldens.blogspot.com/2014/08/t ... iliar.html

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Omote wrote: There was a picture on Facebook or Google+, which in the background of some Dr. Pepper and other nonsense a mock up of the The Black Box cover could be seen. However, there was no specific mention of the contents of The Black Box.
I remembered that the cover of The Black Box mock-up was all black with this image in white on the cover:
http://www.trolllord.com/knightsofthecrusade/

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Found it:

~O
VAE VICTUS!

galladril
Mist Elf

Post by galladril »

That looks TIGHT, but I really hope it has something in it that is in print instead of just the USB drive, especially since I'm getting one from the 3 Sisters KS. :)

Guess we are all gonna find out in about a week, huh?

Warunsun
Hlobane Orc

Post by Warunsun »

galladril wrote:That looks TIGHT, but I really hope it has something in it that is in print instead of just the USB drive, especially since I'm getting one from the 3 Sisters KS. :)

Guess we are all gonna find out in about a week, huh?
Pretty sure that USB drive shown is a teaser from the Kickstarter and not included in the black box. I think the idea of that picture was to show what they were working on (several projects).

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I just hope they're not sold out of the black box and a few other things on Thursday. I'm not going to arrive until sometime that afternoon.

zacharythefirst
Red Cap

Post by zacharythefirst »

tylermo wrote:I just hope they're not sold out of the black box and a few other things on Thursday. I'm not going to arrive until sometime that afternoon.
Hopefully, they're able to get them to Gen Con! Sounded like it was going to be close!
Visit RPG Blog 2
Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
-Tennyson

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I keep forgetting to ask Stephen if M&T and CKG are going to be available at GenCon. We need that M&T badly.

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

tylermo wrote:I keep forgetting to ask Stephen if M&T and CKG are going to be available at GenCon. We need that M&T badly.
What he said on front of TLG page:

"At any rate we are hammering on the Monsters & Treasure, entering edits and in the CKG the first round of cleaning up is done. I believe most if not all the art for the M&T is in so it should be heading to layout in the next few weeks. Wouldn’t be a problem but for Gencon, which is causing us a bit of a bump don’t you know"

So no, not looking like likely for GenCon unless that post was several weeks ago (guess it could be... hadn't looked really there till today).

:cry:
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

This ancient crap computer of mine doesn't do well with the Troll Lord front page. I hadn't seen that. I will likely be speaking and/or corresponding with the Trolls between now and Tuesday. Late afternoon Thursday for sure, but they may be stopping off in SE MO on the way to GenCon. If so, I'll have to ask him.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Could these be the books that are going to grace The Black Box? Let's hope. The covers look great.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

Oh My!!! That looks great!!!

Who wants to pick one up at GenCon for me and then mail it to me? I'll pay for the item, the shipping, and a handling fee :D
~DMSamuel
---
Actual Play Podcast (5e): D&DeBrief

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

Love the black and white artwork. In an age of full color artwork, not that I mind it, it's nice to see something that looks like the games I played when I first started enjoying role-playing games. Looks interesting in terms of content: something for adventurers (aka PCs; what else would be in a backpack), a monsters/deities book, and maybe a module?

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Dude, where in the Hell did you find those images? :) Awesome! Please let me arrive early enough on Thursday to get one of those. As for the white box, I would "think" they would reprint those eventually. That way folks new to C&C can have both sets. I think I have two or three wrapped white sets here at Troll Lord's Southeast Missouri branch office and warehouse. Not sure how many white sets they have left in Little Rock.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Wait a minute...I assume the blox box is a replacement for the old white set? Either way, those covers are amazing. Any word on retro dice like those included in the white box? As many of us know already, The Golden Familiar used to be included with the portrait screen. Speaking of screens, I remember the Trolls took comments (on kickstarter?) about new screens. I certainly put in my two cents. ;)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Tim has confirmed those are the Black Box contents.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

But what exactly is The Black Box? It seems pretty clear that whatever this product exactly is, it will be set within Aihrde. TBB cover posted above shows that this is "A Guide & Rules System [for] Fantasy Role Playing." That means, this might be the replacement for the C&C White Box. Does this mean that this is TLG's basic version of the game?

Also, since a few years ago TLG was talking about The Adventurer's Backpack as being a guide filled with alternative and replacement rules for C&C. Perhaps TLG just used the term because it's cool, and everything you need to play the game comes in The Adventurer's Backpack.'

Assuming all of this is true, are TBB rules going to be different than White Box? Will it even be the same game? It's safe to assume it will be. Different character classes?

But, will the layout be different than the White Box? Will it be a bit more comprehensive?

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

And will it be available in time for GenCon 2014?

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Acacius
Mist Elf

Post by Acacius »

This looks bad ass. Hope they have a few left to sell after GenCon.

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

Those are very nice illustrations. Will be interesting to see if this is just a reprint of the White Box, or something new altogether.

galladril
Mist Elf

Post by galladril »

:o

That. Looks. AWESOME.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

I modeled the Black Box contents off the white box . . . somewhat.

Inside are three books and a set of C&C collector's dice.

The books are

The Adventurer's Backpack. Like the Players Handbook from the white box, this book is an abbreviated version of the Adventurer's Backpack. Within you'll get three (maybe four) new class, a list of ready made back packs, and 40 new spells. The eventual hardcover of this book will have much, much more.

Of Gods & Monsters of Aihrde. This book rolls out with a brief list of the Val Eahrakun, a description of the same. Then a nice bunch of gods and monsters. 16 new gods, 5 giants, 5 eldritch goblins, 4 fiends (CKs will love these) and 1 of the Captain Kings.

The Golden Familiar is an adventure previously available in print only through the old screens. We've updated it and included more maps and it joins the trio.

Obviously the books are small and we are limited by space so we had to pick and choose.

But in all its a load of new content and a portent of things to come!

Hope that helps.
Steve

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

HOW DO WE BUY IT!!??
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

BAM-O! Get more C&C up in ya!

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

I THINK we'll have 105 of them at Gencon. We are printing

Then we'll put them up on the store for sale.

They will not go through distribution, but they will be available to stores who wan them.

Thanks!
Steve