I am now to the point . . .

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

I am now to the point . . .

Post by Julian Grimm »

. . .That I am taking my AD&D books out of rotation and going full on C&C. With the recent releases of Classic Monsters and the coming Tome of the Unclean I see very little need to keep them in rotation. While I may use them for reference, they are no longer needed for table use.

A big thanks to the Troll for making this possible and keeping AD&D alive!
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: I am now to the point . . .

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I keep my 1E DMG and 2E MM within reach, but primarily I use just the C&C books.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

I was just looking at mine and wondering if i should sell my extra copies (yes I have extra table copies) since I don't use them anymore... Thanks Trolls for making me think about this (in a good way) ;)
~DMSamuel
---
Actual Play Podcast (5e): D&DeBrief

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

I'm darn close to that, and will get there once I have polished edited versions of PHB, M&T, and CM.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I've been at that point for years but it has taken years for me to learn to let go. ;)

The last time I consulted 1st or 2nd Edition books? Probably in 2009 when editing the Trick on the Tain when I was looking at some existing creature equivalents in that system to make sure the stats I had 'measured up' for the C&C module. All those books are nice to have but I have since paired down my 1st Edition stuff (still have lots) to single copies. For example, I have the premium reprints of the 1st Edition core rulebooks but have already parted with my regular 'play copies' (technically they are still in my possession but the sale is about to be finalized).

I've also realized that there is only so much 'stuff' that I truly need. I don't think I'll ever pair down my gaming collection to a shelf or two but if I can reduce it down to a single book case with some room to grow, then I will be very happy.

M

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I am now looking at accessories like miniatures (Paper mostly) and other things besides books. While I will slowly fill in the gaps in my 1e collection the books will be regulated to reference or just nostalgia reading for the occasional idea. A far cry from when I was running C&C with my PHB and the 1e/2e DMG and Monster books.
Lord Skystorm

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I'll confess that a lot of my AD&D books (both 1E and 2E) basically sit on the shelf and collect dust, although my OD&D white box gets heavy use still. Kind of sad to think about that.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I don't even take my C&C books to gaming sessions. The system is simple enough that, should I think I need to look something up, I just don't and roll along.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

serleran wrote:I don't even take my C&C books to gaming sessions. The system is simple enough that, should I think I need to look something up, I just don't and roll along.
If I did that I'd be saying bizarre stuff like "The range of the fireball spell is like, um, 17 feet, and it does like, I dunno, 12 points of damage or something? It's probably a 12th level spell, wait, they don't have those do they? Maybe 6th then? I guess I'll save vs. um, Constitution? No? Dexterity?" or "Hmm, you're like a 5th level fighter now, so you can, what, combat dominate, oh, what is it, 1d6 creatures?" "Oh, you found a helm of brilliance? I dunno. Maybe it glows or something? Definitely fits on your head though." "You evade? You can dodge 3 foes. Er, maybe that is dodge. Well, you get a plus something to your AC. Plus what? Oh, mumble barada nikto..."

In actual fact, if I didn't have books and my players did, at least one wouldn't care at all, and the other would use theirs to selectively inform me in such a way that they became the most powerful being in the game. If none of us had books, I would have no idea what game we were playing.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

The only thing I still use my AD&D monster books for are giant insects and animals. However, I have been slowly converting them to fill in for the lack of these creatures in C&C. Which makes me think that this would be a good KoC release. . .
Lord Skystorm

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Aergraith wrote:
serleran wrote:I don't even take my C&C books to gaming sessions. The system is simple enough that, should I think I need to look something up, I just don't and roll along.
If I did that I'd be saying bizarre stuff like "The range of the fireball spell is like, um, 17 feet, and it does like, I dunno, 12 points of damage or something? It's probably a 12th level spell, wait, they don't have those do they? Maybe 6th then? I guess I'll save vs. um, Constitution? No? Dexterity?" or "Hmm, you're like a 5th level fighter now, so you can, what, combat dominate, oh, what is it, 1d6 creatures?" "Oh, you found a helm of brilliance? I dunno. Maybe it glows or something? Definitely fits on your head though." "You evade? You can dodge 3 foes. Er, maybe that is dodge. Well, you get a plus something to your AC. Plus what? Oh, mumble barada nikto..."

In actual fact, if I didn't have books and my players did, at least one wouldn't care at all, and the other would use theirs to selectively inform me in such a way that they became the most powerful being in the game. If none of us had books, I would have no idea what game we were playing.

None of my players would care if we didn't have the books and they don't mind if I don't bring them either. I suppose it helps to have played C&C and its brethren for such a time that there is no difference between them... and, I don't have the hangup about playing BTB. Never have or I wouldn't own 99% of the stuff I do own much less have been asked to help create stuff for this one.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I don't doubt you. For me, with no books, my players would have no idea if anything would work the same way twice in a row.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Aergraith wrote:I don't doubt you. For me, with no books, my players would have no idea if anything would work the same way twice in a row.
Definitely understand that, especially with trying new things each campaign, or just in general. Half the fun, for me, is discovering... whether that is in the game or about it.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I think I still have every book, every Dragon Mag, and every scrap of dungeon and every PC I ever used/bought/made.. Two big boxes.... but then, I am a serious pack rat with over 1,000 paper back books too.. so well, I part with little on this front.. but it has paid off. All new group of CnC players, all tested tried and true best of ever adventures for them to try and me to tweak to CnC instead of ADnD or 2nd Ed DnD.. not much I would use with these guys in 3+... so, my advice, box them up and let your kids do something with them after you die.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

zacharythefirst
Red Cap

Post by zacharythefirst »

I see no issue in happily using books from the AD&D DMG to the Hackmaster GM's Guide with C&C. It all works with very little effort.

But yes, right now, I think I'd rather run C&C than Rules Cyclopedia D&D, and that's saying something. :)
Visit RPG Blog 2
Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
-Tennyson

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

My reasoning for doing this is that 1) C&C might as well be the true 3rd edition of AD&D and with the number of books out now I can now play it as such and 2) To save wear and tear on my AD&D books.

At this point I feel the game has grown enough that my dependance on AD&D to fill in the blanks has lessened and that the game can now stand on it's feet. For that matter the only need I have for 3.X D&D is just a few spell and monster conversions to fill in the last of the gaps I feel are in the game.
Lord Skystorm

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

The only thing from the 1E books I want to use in my C&C game is the items saving throws table from the DMG. I can just print that off and say so long to my 1E books until Gary Con VII.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Well, I put all my 2e and 3e books away and only kept my AD&D, C&C and early TLG stuff out. I wasn't going to Keep the AD&D stuff out but I still draw from AD&D enough to keep them for reference. Now it is just a matter of organization and getting things the way I want them.
Lord Skystorm