Round Robin CKing

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Round Robin CKing

Post by Captain_K »

Here's and idea, kind of like the game of "finish the tale".. To give each PC a little taste of CKing.. Start in a simple dungeon with a wide open "concept/history/story"... play one night with the prime CK, the next night (for us one month later), after a random dice roll, a new CK takes over to CK for just one night, adding to the story/plot as they like.. and continue in this way for each PC to take a spin at CKing..

Thoughts? Good idea or bad? Anyone ever try anything like it? Success or failure?

This will not be forced on anyone, but mild pressure to try it will be applied..

Might also roll this into an alternate gaming group of PCs that will later be introduced as our second set of PCs. These will likely start at 2nd or 3rd lvl.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

BoomerET
Hlobane Orc

Re: Round Robin CKing

Post by BoomerET »

I like the idea, would help with GM burn-out.

(Not that I have GM burn-out, as I've never GM'd, so in my case, would help me break into that field)

BoomerET

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

It's nice to give the option to CK to others, so as to distribute the responsibility of adventure running. However, what happens if someone who gets randomly picked just isn't as good at it as the others? There are some good players out there who don't always have the same skill at weaving tales.

We did a campaign once where two other people ran one-off adventures within the larger campaign. I thought it went well and brought new ideas into the story. However, it wasn't particularly round-robin and was seen as an exception, rather than the rule. I think, if everyone is on-board with the idea, doing it as a regular rotation sounds fun. Although, I'd think random dice rolling might not always get a good rotation going, since random dice sometimes wind up being less than random. ;) Perhaps, making sure that the person who just CK'ed is exempt from the next roll?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

We do this, and have done this, for quite some time. Usually when one DM gets the itch to switch and play as a PC for a while. Unfortunately, we don't get the whole table involved, yet, so basically an alternation between myself and another. At least when we're playing C&C... I am the DM of the current campaign which is designed to cross several game systems and timelines.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I think it sounds fun, but I think I'd get twitchy if someone "ruined" my setting. Though at the same time I want my whole table to use it for their games. As long as they are about 100 miles away from my where I am running things...
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

One of my groups rotates GMing duties every 6 months or so. Each of us gets to pick the game, setting, houserules, etc when we are running the game.

So... we don't rotate in the same setting or same system (though sometimes it is the same system), the campaigns are self contained and may or may not be related to a previous game run by the same GM.

We each have our own homebrew worlds, so I don't think they would take too kindly to another GM mucking around in their back yard.
~DMSamuel
---
Actual Play Podcast (5e): D&DeBrief

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

One thing I think we do that makes this easier... before we start a campaign, one of the two current DMs will make a world map. It can be of any size. We then pick a section or two. Then, the development begins. Usually by actual game play as opposed to pre-creation. One DM (not me) will also decide which modules might be used and how they'd fit into those areas, though they're offered only and not required for use... so, we stumble upon a clue pointing to the Dark Tower, for example, but we don't have to go there.

The problem with this, for us, is me. I tend to go all over the place even leaving the world and going into weird places like... well, in the last C&C game, the PCs explored the subconscious of a lich which was described in terms of anatomy and dungeons. They spent a full year of game time in one room before realizing it was an illusion.

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

serleran wrote: The problem with this, for us, is me. I tend to go all over the place even leaving the world and going into weird places like... well, in the last C&C game, the PCs explored the subconscious of a lich which was described in terms of anatomy and dungeons. They spent a full year of game time in one room before realizing it was an illusion.
Neat idea. I like the idea of using the "inside" of a lich as a dungeon-type affair. Although, good to hear wasn't one year of real-time spent there. ;)

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I'm playing a D6 Star wars game now and we have something kind of like this.

The primary GM runs it most of the time, but after a few adventure arcks, one of the players will step in and run an advinture. Usually 2 - 4 nights worth of gaming. 2 times it has been the same characters (minus the player's who is running as the pinch hitter GM) in the same time flow, 1 time it was new characters all around in a different era. The next time I think will be a bit different as the player wants to make it a horror/Cthulhu flavored game.

It has worked great. It gives the GM a chance to play and take a break. It gets the players more involved and develops them as players. And it give everyone a taste of a little different GMing & adventure style.
Aergraith wrote:I think it sounds fun, but I think I'd get twitchy if someone "ruined" my setting. Though at the same time I want my whole table to use it for their games. As long as they are about 100 miles away from my where I am running things...
When I heard the GMs idea to do it that was my worry (for him and his game) but he said he shouldn't be GMing if he couldn't make our additions work and include our ideas into his games. It actually has made it better than just having 1 GM. New and different NPC opponents have introduced, interesting paths that we wouldn't have taken, different focuses on skills - making everyone needed - etc etc etc has opened up the game ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Great input all... We have 5 players, most are 25 somethings, first time gamers, one has a gaming background. The experienced guy offered to do some CKing.. the others are just going to "give it a try"... its all for fun, will likely be new PCs in a single setting so if they all die horridly, well, lesson learned. We'll let anyone who really does not want to try, not run the game, and I'm sure we can all "chime in" to help point out some basic rules to the new CK. If nothing else each PC will gain new respect and insight into the rules and what it takes to CK.

In past games we had three primary DMs and we each took a different sphere of influence, like noted above, based on sessions they ran- basically if you take the time to make it, it becomes that segment of the world and its key personna. We use the world map of Earth, set in about 1000 to 800 AD, but Christianity and the Romans died a crib death. Ex.: London's underworld (thieves and assassins) were run by one guy, the Monks (by outward appearances a series of orphanages) by another, and the Hill Giants, recluse Mage and old friend in a crusty old knight by a third.. we never wrecked it for one another, since we all had two PCs in the game and counted on each other to help our PCs and our sessions link and shine. We took great pride in weaving seemingly diverse settings together into "one world". This went on well for years until DnD got just too nutty.

Thanks again, you'll likely not hear about this under 9th Hour Social Diversion Society for another 6 months or so.. but you will likely hear of it again, thanks, Cap'n K
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

The lich subconscious Idea is great, mind if I steal and modify?.. What do you folks think about this, "The PCs all create characters and they play a game within a game? Should they know about this plan in the beginning or only at the end? We play this odd adventure, with each PC trying their hand at CK then when I finish it I do a TPK and close the story with the classic "the end" and the PCs are all mad at the Bard for killing all their CnC PCs..." the Bard could run a new game she just learned called "Dungeons and Dragons"... a game within a game.... kind of an Alice in Wonderland kind of thing.. if I had the PCs all pretend to be engineers it would just be too boring... " you roll a 1, darn the copier got stuck and your parts are over stressed..." no thanks..

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Captain_K wrote:The lich subconscious Idea is great, mind if I steal and modify?
Do as thou will is the whole of the Law.