Storytellers' Thesaurus Kickstarter

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Lord Dynel
Maukling

Storytellers' Thesaurus Kickstarter

Post by Lord Dynel »

Out of curiosity, I have to ask - why did this go to Kickstarter? Does anyone know? I read the KS page, but nothing really gave me a "why." I backed it, but that doesn't eliminate my curiosity. I'm honestly surprised that this went to KS, especially since I was under the impression that this was supposed to be released in physical form at last GenCon.

Thanks!
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

pawndream
Red Cap

Re: Storytellers' Thesaurus Kickstarter

Post by pawndream »

Lord Dynel wrote:Out of curiosity, I have to ask - why did this go to Kickstarter? Does anyone know? I read the KS page, but nothing really gave me a "why." I backed it, but that doesn't eliminate my curiosity. I'm honestly surprised that this went to KS, especially since I was under the impression that this was supposed to be released in physical form at last GenCon.

Thanks!
I would assume it went to Kickstarter to generate the required capital to print a run of this product. Very often, Kickstarter seems to be used as a good, low-risk way to determine whether enough interest exists in a project, without a company having to front any of the capital themselves (or to lessen the amount of capital required).

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I don't have the pdf but as I recall, the page count is high. There may be a hefty pricetag associated with getting this book into hardcover. I'm probably going to have to opt for the softcover and pdf. One thing is certain, Jim Ward is on a roll this year.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Didn't the KS suggest 500 to 800 pages or some such tome like value.. not sure I need another big book to lug about, but I'm kind of a library collector at heart, I assume it will sit about home awaiting use in writing up adventures.. Wiki is good for most, but I like books more.. so what the heck, the in was not that high.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

I didn't get the pdf. How does this differ from the GFW stuff, especially Insidiae? I generally like Jim's work, but with a complete set of the GFW books on my shelf, plus a copy of Toolbox, how much novel material is there to justify getting in on the Kickstarter?

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

tylermo wrote:I don't have the pdf but as I recall, the page count is high. There may be a hefty pricetag associated with getting this book into hardcover. I'm probably going to have to opt for the softcover and pdf. One thing is certain, Jim Ward is on a roll this year.
PDF is 551 pages. Pages 149 - 550 are an alphabetical index (VERY THOROUGH!). I have yet to use it but I am looking forward to doing that eventually. Getting it in dead-tree form is something I've been waiting for since first hearing of it last year.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Sir Osis of Liver wrote:I didn't get the pdf. How does this differ from the GFW stuff, especially Insidiae? I generally like Jim's work, but with a complete set of the GFW books on my shelf, plus a copy of Toolbox, how much novel material is there to justify getting in on the Kickstarter?
Honestly, I this is different from the rest of the GFW books but if you were using a book like Insidae (or any other of the GFW books) to help create an adventure, you could easily use this one with it to help. It would complement and be quite at home alongside the GFW books. In short, it's a specialized thesaurus. In practice, it is most 'like' Volume II - World Builder in the sense that it is a book of lists. The Storytellers Thesaurus is just lists of words: descriptors and items and items arranged thematically. This won't have definitions or diagrams but will cover a lot more ground as a writing tool and not just for gaming.

I wrote up a review of it here based on the PDF:

http://arcanacreations.blogspot.ca/2014 ... aurus.html

M