Great resource for C&C...

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Treebore
Mogrl

Great resource for C&C...

Post by Treebore »

and a solid RPG in its own right. I almost went to it over C&C...

Check it out, good adventures, good alternative classes, races, and more...

Basic Fantasy RPG

http://www.basicfantasy.org/downloads.html

(Yes, I know some of you are aware of this, but a fair number of new people around here since we last talked about it.)
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Acacius
Mist Elf

Re: Great resource for C&C...

Post by Acacius »

I picked a few of the basic book up last year to hand out for Christmas gifts. Can not beat the price, i think it was like 3.99 for the book. Cost me more than that just to get my AD&D/C&C house rules printed and spiral bound at staples. Some of the adventures are pretty good.

I was surprised at how many people on google+ and youtube play this game.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Acacius wrote:I picked a few of the basic book up last year to hand out for Christmas gifts. Can not beat the price, i think it was like 3.99 for the book. Cost me more than that just to get my AD&D/C&C house rules printed and spiral bound at staples. Some of the adventures are pretty good.

I was surprised at how many people on google+ and youtube play this game.

With over 70,000 DL's I'd hope at least a few thousand people play it.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

REHowardfanatic
Hlobane Orc

Post by REHowardfanatic »

Completely agree. I love that game. It has a great bunch of expanded rules on teh website too. You can even download it in odt format and edit your own rules out of it.
Flaming is the alignment language of the internet.

If you like DC Heroes, come check out my blog:
http://mayfairexponentialrpg.blogspot.com/

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, the best way I can think to describe it, and you would have to be a loooong time gamer to even understand my description, is a stripped down conglomeration of the best parts of 1E AD&D, the Rules Cyclopedia, and the Moldvay boxed set. Leaning most strongly towards the Moldvay boxed set. Plus, it is a rule book and monster manual all between two covers, so is a "1 book needed" game.

Acacius
Mist Elf

Post by Acacius »

Treebore wrote:Yeah, the best way I can think to describe it, and you would have to be a loooong time gamer to even understand my description, is a stripped down conglomeration of the best parts of 1E AD&D, the Rules Cyclopedia, and the Moldvay boxed set. Leaning most strongly towards the Moldvay boxed set. Plus, it is a rule book and monster manual all between two covers, so is a "1 book needed" game.
I completely agree with the similar feel to the Moldvay set. I had the same exact thoughts. I do find that I like the writing, look, and over all feel of labyrinth lord more but BFRPG is a good game at a very reasonable price. I think it is around four US dollars on amazon at the moment.

Currently LL is my basic D&D and C&C is my AD&D.

REHowardfanatic
Hlobane Orc

Post by REHowardfanatic »

Another good OGL/OSR game is John Stater's Blood and Treasure. It's on lulu and is about $30, so the price is higher, but it is an OSRIC-sized book loaded with great content.
Flaming is the alignment language of the internet.

If you like DC Heroes, come check out my blog:
http://mayfairexponentialrpg.blogspot.com/

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

I have a copy of BFRPG, printed it out and have ring-bindered.

I like it a lot, but I had some negative interactions with the author at one point early on and just about that time Dan Proctor, who is a tremendously nice fellow, came out with the original LL pdf. So my subsequent Moldvay/Cook retro-clone focus was on LL.
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:and a solid RPG in its own right. I almost went to it over C&C...

Check it out, good adventures, good alternative classes, races, and more...

Basic Fantasy RPG

http://www.basicfantasy.org/downloads.html

(Yes, I know some of you are aware of this, but a fair number of new people around here since we last talked about it.)
Good stuff.

Thanks!
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Thanks, Tree! I'll definitely check this out.

Moldvay was my introduction to the D&D rules (after first playing the game with some friendd, bookless, in school based on the Holmes rules). I still grab my B/X books for nostalgia and help capture the spirit of those days in my thinking -- that the only difference between then and now is *how* I use my imagination (usually bound up by grown-up thinking) than anything else. I try to remain childlike in using it. It's helped me (along with the C&C game, of course) recapture the feelings I had when I first gamed from 1981-1990.

EDIT: I found I had some of the downloads already but then stayed up waaaay too late looking over the rest and downloading them. Heh. Cool stuff.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax