Tomb of Horrors for C&C?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Tomb of Horrors for C&C?

Post by Arduin »

serleran wrote:Tomb of Horrors is among my favorite modules but I do not think, a dedicated and clever party with a complement of allies, would necessarily be wiped out. It does take a lot of care and planning, though, but I have had successful escapes (not necessarily full victories) with level 1 PCs and complete obliteration with those of level 20.
Well, that assumes that the PC's know all about the dungeon. Not likely unless the GM is REALLY generous and into meta gaming.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

No. It takes a lot of mooks to push in front of you. And to force into testing everything to see what happens.

Pretty much how Rob Kuntz survived when it was first ran.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

serleran wrote:No. It takes a lot of mooks to push in front of you. And to force into testing everything to see what happens.
:lol:

House Rules

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I'm torn on this one. There might be three of these guys who would play based on the modules repuation. Two of these guys played numerous sessions of C&C, and another played two. They generally play PF, and some of them are being sort of turned onto D&D 5. If any others were to play, this might be their first exposure to C&C. I don't want to do that to new players. Not saying it's off the table, but what other late 70's/early 80's D&D modules are better suited for C&C? Maybe some of them will be game for that. Has anybody used Expedition to the Barrier Peaks?

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

Nope on S3, yet. But I ran S2 White Plume last year, the players had a blast.There is a typo laden write up in the Crusades sub forum.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I'd have to feel these guys out. They may just have "Tomb" on the brain. If I were to pick an alternate, it's got to be one of the all-time classics. That said, hopefully something a bit less deadly. :lol:

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

For sure, I have pdf's of Tomb, Expedition, White Plume, and Village of Hommlet. Might have some others tucked away somewhere.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

tylermo wrote:For sure, I have pdf's of Tomb, Expedition, White Plume, and Village of Hommlet. Might have some others tucked away somewhere.
Start at low level. The "Village" is good. Even B2 (Keep on the Borderlands) is simple to do in C&C.

House Rules

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

I'll cosign on Village of Hommlet. Having re-run it last year, I think it's held up quite well. And if they like it, it can always flow right into the Temple of Elemental Evil.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I'll take these under consideration. I'll check in with the guys, and see if they're still on some sort of TSR kick. Maybe they'll be up for an alternate to Tomb. Thanks, guys.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Definitely S2 - White Plume Mountain. It hits the sweet spot level-wise and has lots of cool set piece encounters.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

serleran wrote:No. It takes a lot of mooks to push in front of you. And to force into testing everything to see what happens.

Here's a modern solution to that. Micro humans to be grown for pharma companies.

When fully developed they will be able to grown them up to 3" tall. Of course with no vocal cords...

I want one ... or, two.

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, the easiest way to do that is with Summoners. Getting herds of horses, cattle, etc... in through the entrance can be a major pain. But if you do this, and have that one spell I mention, the Tomb is pretty much a tedious cakewalk until you get to the conclusion.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

galladril
Mist Elf

Post by galladril »

ToH is my favorite module of all time, and I have read the thing so many times I could walk through it by myself, and survive (assuming that I hit the monsters in the very few encounters with them.)

"How do you win the Tomb of Horrors? You walk in last, a few minutes after everyone else in the party has. You touch nothing. You wait for everyone else to die, you then loot their stuff. Then, you get out as fast as you can."

If you are trying to sell a group of players on C&C, putting them in the most ruthless, death filled dungeon of all time may not be the best way to get them hooked on the system. Just my 2cp.

Let us know how it goes - I always love reading play-throughs of it.