Adventurer's Packs

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Mark Hall
Hlobane Orc

Adventurer's Packs

Post by Mark Hall »

So, one of the things I really like about C&C is the "pick up and go" nature of gameplay... that you can pretty much hand someone a photocopy of their race, a photocopy of their class, and a front sheet for their attributes and be playing in 5 minutes.

The problem is equipment. Has anyone come up with simple "adventurer's packs" for the classes, based on how much money they get and what they're likely to want? so you can just toss one of those pregenned packs to people, to make character creation even more of a breeze?
I don't have to have everything perfect... just good enough that the seams don't show on the monkey suit. -Me
I like that. Not going to use it because I like mine better, but I do like that idea. -Treebore, summing up most home designers' philosophy

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Adventurer's Packs

Post by Arduin »

If you literally have only 5 minutes, just allow them X GP (after armor & weapons) to draw from as they need it. (only allowing common items one could buy in a small/medium town) Once the limit is reached that's what they have.

Keeping in mind encumbrance and sanity. I wouldn't allow a player to announce that they have been carrying a 3' diameter iron cauldron with them the whole time. Nor, a ladder...
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Mark Hall
Hlobane Orc

Post by Mark Hall »

It's less a matter of literally only having 5 minutes and more "I want the players to be able to immediately get into the game, and give beginning players a good selection of things they will need, so they don't go 'Oregon Trail' and only load up on weapons."
I don't have to have everything perfect... just good enough that the seams don't show on the monkey suit. -Me
I like that. Not going to use it because I like mine better, but I do like that idea. -Treebore, summing up most home designers' philosophy

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Mark Hall wrote:It's less a matter of literally only having 5 minutes and more "I want the players to be able to immediately get into the game, and give beginning players a good selection of things they will need, so they don't go 'Oregon Trail' and only load up on weapons."
In the long run I find it better to just remind the players that they should equip their PC's according to the conditions they will probably encounter (based on available data). Keeps their brains from atrophying due to lack of use. :lol:
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

MH, from Treebore's house rules:

Equipment bundles

Pack 1, Delvers bundle

Backpack 2g
Bedroll 1s
Belt pouch large 1g
Blanket, winter 5s
Canteen ½ gallon 2g
Flint and steel 1g
Hammer small 1g
Lantern hooded 7g
Oil 6 flasks 6g
Pitons / spikes 10 1g
Rope 50’ hemp 1g
Sack large 2 1s
Torch 5 5c
Whetstone/weapon kit 1g

Total 25 gold

Pack 2, mage kit

Case, scroll or map 2 2g
Chalk dozen pieces 12c
Flask 6 18c
Ink 3oz 24g
Paper 10 sheets 10g
Quill 3 3s
Wax, sealing 3 3g
Tongs 6s
Vial 6 (1oz) 6s

Total 4o gold

Pack 3, cleric kit

Candle 5 sticks 5c
Holy symbol wood 1g
Incense sticks 6 6g
Prayer beads 2g
Wolves bane 2g

Total 10 gold

Pack 4, rogue gear

Belt pouch small 2 1g
Case scroll or map 1g
Chalk 3 pieces 3c
Chisel 1g
Cord 50’ 5g
Crowbar 2g
Dust bag of 3 -
File metal 1g
Pitons/spikes 10 1g
Rogues tools 30g
Sack small 1s
String 50’ 4s
Vial 4 4s

Total 40 gold

Pack 5, provisions cheap

Water skin 1g
Rations 2 weeks 6g

Total 7 gold

Pack 6, provisions good

Water skin 1g
Cheese block 2 4s
Rations 2 weeks 6g
Beer ration, daily 7g
Tea 1month supply 1s
Wine, fine 2 bottles 20g
Pipe, and 2 weeks pipe weed 6g

Total 40 gp

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

The Adventurers Backpack booklet from the C&C 10th anniversary boxed set would be helpful to you. Mind you, that book features a bit of what you're looking forward, some new spells, classes, etc. However, the book will eventually be released with more material as a normal-sized book. Just not sure when. That's a question for Stephen.

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

tylermo wrote:The Adventurers Backpack booklet from the C&C 10th anniversary boxed set would be helpful to you. Mind you, that book features a bit of what you're looking forward, some new spells, classes, etc. However, the book will eventually be released with more material as a normal-sized book. Just not sure when. That's a question for Stephen.
I was about to mention the "Adventurers Backpack" in the Black box. But was beaten to the punch :D !

As a side note I got it added to RPGGeek so now its an official option. Pictures will be uploaded tomorrow. Had to add "Zane Chenault" to designer credits. His name was listed on the first volume which happened to be the Adventures Backpack.

The first time I "created" an item on either RPG or Board game geek. Have done versions before or other edits but never "created" so it was....fun. :ugeek:

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

The C&C tournament modules come with a set of packs for various types of PCs. I steal that and then just tell my players what kind of armor they have. I let them pick a couple melee weapons and a missile weapon. The player decides whether to get a shield or helmet. We get through equipping PCs in about 1 minute.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

If I were to consider this, I would want 8 of them (per class) so the players have to roll 1d8.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Frog God Gams did something with Swords & Wizardry that you might find helpful. They have a set of cards they put out with one of their kickstarters that has a kit on each card. Along with a set of henchmen/retainer types for quick NPCs (or PCs). They also have a Spell deck, Treasure Deck, Monster Deck, and Encounter 1 and Encounter 2 Decks. Might want to check out that option. Noble Knight has all the packs together as a mega-bundle (where I picked it up). Here is the blurb from the equipment deck and the hireling deck:
Equipment Deck

This deck of 36 cards consists on a variety of equipment packages for use in your Swords & Wizardry game. Each card comes with the title of the kit, the cost, the weight, and the equipment. The kits are everything from basic adventuring kits, to class specific kits to specialty kits such as an undead slaying kit. This deck is a quick and easy reference for your characters to get the type of equipment they want.
Hireling Deck
This deck of 36 cards consists of hirelings for the players in your Swords & Wizardry game. Each card contains the name of the hireling along with their vocation, quirks, wage, equipment and stats. Hirelings consist of dogs, dwarves, elves, goblins, humans and orcs. This deck is handy tool for DM's and players alike!
Here is the link to it on Noble Knight: http://www.nobleknight.com/productdetai ... 2148127667
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

I have a some of these cards if someone wants some of them. I'd be cheaper than Noble Knight. :D

Although they do have some nice deals.

Also just figured out they are in Janestown, WI so will be making a trip to check their store out during Garycon.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I solved the same issue in a different way.. Pass the cards.. I had weapons sets, armor sets, $$$ sets, and "items sets" pre-written on cards. I let PCs "dress" for free at reasonable values. Then we played pass the cards around the table until they had one of each set ...., done. It took a bit more than 5 min, but not much. Now they were "dressing for a dinner party" so no plate mail was there.. but you could create the cards as you see fit. Since fighters get armor and mages don't, the cards the mages would get were spell book additions of a scroll with defensive spells or the cleric would get healing spells or some such and no one else would take them, same for the leather and thieves all in with the "armor" cards.. Make one good set of cards and its like the packs above just more mix and match and PCs get more choice rather than a handed down pack.

I would follow this up with a successful first adventure which ensured some reasonable cash and a game ending in a bazaar or bigger city market and let the PCs go "shopping" in the down time between games... then at the next game each PC should "tell the tale" of their shopping spree and tell of their total outfitting.. this is the time the CK warns them about encumbrance... and possibly "illegal" or class restricted items that must be returned for refund or exchanged.... I'll pitch my simple encumbrance system again, make them draw their PC with all their items and group vote on (with CK veto) encumbrance level... if shopping is slow... then figuring out and using encumbrance is it daddy in time killers (and interest killers for many).
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.