What printing......?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

What printing......?

Post by thenorthman »

All,

How do you tell what printing you have? Or is it tracked?

Know with Pazio books they had it listed on the first page.

I was just curious...as got a Gods and Monster today (Yes it was a total box of awesomeness that I snuck in during that sale!) and know some have the different Castle and Crusades design on the front.

Plus had been thinking about trying to track down some first printings of some modules but won't if no way to confirm it. NO in some cases the picture on the front will tell but....it isn't a 100% way to make sure the seller and the buyer are on the same "page" per say.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Re: What printing......?

Post by Relaxo »

For the PHB at least, the last digit of the product number on the spine indicates the printing.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

Relaxo wrote:For the PHB at least, the last digit of the product number on the spine indicates the printing.
Oh thats a good point! I recognized that but then....

So...the first printing has 4 digits....but then what does it mean when has the four digits and then a 1 behind them? Its not really the 1st edition...since the one that only had 4 digits was the first....

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

The spine should be able to tell you at a glance. However, there should be printing information on the both the title page and in the OGL, if applicable.

Of Gods & Monsters I believe only had a single printing, and unlike the PHB, always used five digits for the stock number. Thus, you have a first printing.

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

Interesting....

The book I have has the new Castle and Crusades logo (orangeish), and i have seen some of the older version logo on eBay.

So unless they just switched the logo in the middle of the print run it wouldn't be a first printing. Not that big of a deal though. Just trying to figure it out.

So the product number is 80171 on the spine and a print year of 2012 which I agree it would mean first printing normally if it held true with how the current players hand book is numbered. Except there is a copy that just has 8017 on the spine, with the old style logo on the cover, and a print date of 2009. (The main reason for my confusion.)

Plus I have checked and tripled check the title page to see where it would say what printing it is and don't see anything....except the year it was printed. Nothing else stating what printing it is. As to the OGL I'll have to look at that a little better, never really looked at it before closely.

Like I said not that big of a deal really except might start deciding to pick up first editions of modules and wanted to figure away how to do it quickly if at a store or a convention or something.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

thenorthman wrote: Except there is a copy that just has 8017 on the spine, with the old style logo on the cover, and a print date of 2009. (The main reason for my confusion.)
Softcover. Hardcover wasn't available until sometime in 2010
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

I took a closer look at all the books I have....

For my 2nd edition Players Handbook that was part of the slip cover sleeve with Castle Zayag Yaggsburgh does have the 80102 but nothing on title page. Then looked at my 5th edition and 6th edition and it does mention on the tile page what edition it is.

Then looked at my Monster and Treasure of Airhde and its product number is 80191 and inside on the title page it does say 2nd printing.

Then looked at my Codex Nordicas and a softcover doesn't have anything on the spine, but the hardcover has the product number then "1" behind it. Which I can understand with the Nordica since the Hardcover was printed after it made enough money (at least I understand thats the reason) on its kickstarter.

So sounds like there was just some confusion when they first started implementing the numbering of it. Monster and Treasure of Aihde points to this while the players guide apparently there isn't a 80101 at all according to RPGGeek. Jumps from 8010 to 80102 (which is my second printing of it from 2006).

SO now I think I have a understanding....that it doesn't hold true for all products but they are attempting to get a system down. Easy to get a few crossed systems with a company spanning a decade plus!

With the modules....I'll just have to familiarize my self with the first year printed I guess. :ugeek:

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

Arduin wrote:
thenorthman wrote: Except there is a copy that just has 8017 on the spine, with the old style logo on the cover, and a print date of 2009. (The main reason for my confusion.)
Softcover. Hardcover wasn't available until sometime in 2010
Yea looking off pictures for its first printing so didn't really notice not HC. :O)

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

The A series modules are a patchwork of trade dresses until A6 was released. When A6 was released, A1-A5 were reprinted with the trade dress A6 uses, and A0 became available in print for the first time since its release in the Collector's Edition box set in 2004. Since you're at least familiar with RPGGeek, you should be able to easily see what the modules look like. The one thing you might want to think about is getting a copy of A1 in the new trade dress instead of the original. The page count almost doubled between printings, and I believe this is because the new printing incorporates bonus material that was once available separately.

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

Sweet! Will do.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Trav, I think you're right about A1. I'd have to grab my 2005 or 06 version to make certain. There were pdf add-on's to Blacktooth Ridge back then. I printed them for the additional info. All of that "should" be in the latest version of A1 and in the Umbrage Saga book (containing A0-A5).

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

*chuckles*...I better be right. I entered the new printings into RPGGeek's database.

Return to Blacktooth Ridge was one of the add-ons if I recall. The name of the other escapes me.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Traveller wrote:*chuckles*...I better be right. I entered the new printings into RPGGeek's database.

Return to Blacktooth Ridge was one of the add-ons if I recall. The name of the other escapes me.
I believe it was called "Back to the Blacktooth Ridge," but I could be wrong.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007