Treasure Generator for C&C

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Treasure Generator for C&C

Post by alcyone »

I wrote a treasure generator, you can find it here. I hope someone finds it useful.

It's in continuing development but it's complete as far as the information in the 5th printing M&T.

It's very simple but has some nice features, including highlighting cursed items in red and providing their appearance, which can help keep the CK from blurting out the name of the cursed item at the table and spoiling the "surprise".

The goal was to roll treasure by the book. There is a lot of missing information on EXP for items and this is necessary to roll treasure types 1-9, which have an EXP limit on magic. In these cases I set the EXP to 0, with the idea that the CK can weed these out. Future versions will pick up information from other printings as they fix the EXP listings.

It's a little quirky because of how it handles re-rolling on treasure types 1-9; it may be proportionally more likely to get an artifact or cursed item at low treasure types because of getting turned away from other tables for the EXP limit (of which cursed and artifacts have none).

I plan to add an 'Experimental' button to fix the above problems in various ways.

The software doesn't replace your M&T; you will need it to look up the items. And you'll certainly need to look over what it suggests to determine if it's appropriate for your party.

Send a private message for comments, suggestions, and bugs.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

pawndream
Red Cap

Re: Treasure Generator for C&C

Post by pawndream »

Very cool. I played around with this a bit and can definitely see using this for the Play-by-Posts I run. Thanks!

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I just put 1.05 out there, which I think will be the last one to use M&T 5th Printing.

The main thing that's different is in certain situations (hoarding, in lair) it would give you 4x rolls for magic items instead of 2x.
That my player may have benefited from this mistake is purely an innocent coincidence.

Link is in my signature.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Wow! Nice footnotes! On your other docs, obviously not your generator. Of course your cacophony doc is the most heavily footnoted.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Yeah, I need to bring CACOPHONYYY up-to-date with the newest printings.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

WE have a winner! Update to latest M&T and TLD's should host.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Yeah. This could be good on the KotC resource site once it goes live.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

maasenstodt
Hlobane Orc

Post by maasenstodt »

Great job! Thank you!

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Arduin wrote:WE have a winner! Update to latest M&T and TLD's should host.
I was looking at the newest M&T and I see a few issues I need to make a decision on, like what EXP values to assign to the special armors. I could just use the old values, I guess.

I am all for TLG hosting. I have it packaged in such a way that it has an embedded database and web server so it's pretty self-contained. I've asked Tim if I can share the source also, then anyone can hack on it.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I am also sort of thinking, now that I did a by-the-book generator that simulates doing what a CK with the book would do, I can write a new one that uses weights instead of dice ranges, lets CKs log in and have their own user-defined charts, or maybe have sliders to set for each treasure type or monster HD what percentage coins you want, what percentage magic, etc.

But there is stuff like this: http://www.dxcontent.com/TableRunner.html that you can just use and probably does what you want already.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Aergraith wrote:
Arduin wrote:WE have a winner! Update to latest M&T and TLD's should host.
I was looking at the newest M&T and I see a few issues I need to make a decision on, like what EXP values to assign to the special armors. I could just use the old values, I guess.

I am all for TLG hosting. I have it packaged in such a way that it has an embedded database and web server so it's pretty self-contained. I've asked Tim if I can share the source also, then anyone can hack on it.
I'd use the old XP values. GMs tend to house rule XP all over the place anyway.

Hope Tim says yes. The more C&C "goodies" for new GM's the better for the brand. IMO

House Rules

JohnD
Ungern

Post by JohnD »

Thanks for sharing this!

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Just for fun I maxed it out, what a 10x in lair horde, Smaug would have been proud to sleep on that heap! Well done. Dare we ask the hours that took?
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

The treasure generator may go down this week at some unspecified time when I find time to upgrade the server. If you think you will need it, maybe go in and generate your treasure ahead if time. I don't anticipate a lot of problems but you never know.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Played with it some more, what's with all the toe rings??
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

You never know what that nasty random number generator has in store for you.
I hadn't noticed a predominance of them, but I'll check the code. As near as I could I modeled the Trolls' charts and instructions.

One thing I will do someday is collapse those miscellaneous trinkets and give a quantity, so you don't see them strewn randomly about.

Of course, only if anyone besides me uses it.

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

That's freaking awesome, man! Great job!

(Bookmarked for easy finding)
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Aergraith wrote:You never know what that nasty random number generator has in store for you.
I hadn't noticed a predominance of them, but I'll check the code. As near as I could I modeled the Trolls' charts and instructions.

One thing I will do someday is collapse those miscellaneous trinkets and give a quantity, so you don't see them strewn randomly about.

I use it and haven't noticed anything unusual in the distribution.

p.s. random.org (generates true random numbers) has a free service under "Web Tools and Widgets for Your Pages" where you can pull from them for your app if you want.

House Rules

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Arduin wrote:
Aergraith wrote:You never know what that nasty random number generator has in store for you.

p.s. random.org (generates true random numbers) has a free service under "Web Tools and Widgets for Your Pages" where you can pull from them for your app if you want.
It had crossed my mind. The Java PRNG is random enough, of course, for a role-playing game, but if you can connect to real world random numbers, why not. Random.org has a free API until December, but we'll see what they charge after that. If someone else ended up hosting the app it would become a burden for them. There used to be more random number APIs on the web. One of them used a series of lava lamps and a web cam, another sampled sensor noise from a webcam in a dark box. HotBits uses radioactive decay of Cesium 137. They have a java class to connect to them, but I wonder about the availability and reliability of their site.

In any case, it's a neat idea. Maybe one of these days.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Aergraith wrote:
Arduin wrote:

It had crossed my mind. The Java PRNG is random enough, of course, for a role-playing game, but if you can connect to real world random numbers, why not. Random.org has a free API until December, but we'll see what they charge after that. If someone else ended up hosting the app it would become a burden for them. There used to be more random number APIs on the web. One of them used a series of lava lamps and a web cam, another sampled sensor noise from a webcam in a dark box. HotBits uses radioactive decay of Cesium 137. They have a java class to connect to them, but I wonder about the availability and reliability of their site.

Oops. I didn't know that it was until December. I remember the lava lamp site. Long time ago...

House Rules

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Aergraith wrote:
Arduin wrote:

Charging for random numbers? I will give you one for free:

You're welcome

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Treasure Generator 1.06 --
- Split coins no longer cheats you out of 1 gp.
- Sort gems, extraordinary items and magic items in a hopefully useful manner.
- Combine extraordinary items of the same type and value into a stack with a quantity.
- Show xp values for magic items that have them. In some cases I've assigned them. As always, it's the CK's responsibility to make sure this stuff makes sense.
- Show total gp of Extraordinary Items
- Show total xp for magic items, and magic items + fungibles
- Generate types for "CK Choice" expert weapons so they can have a gp value.
- Experimental mode is now the default and can't be changed. It wasn't all that experimental anyway.

- Switched to SecureRandom
- Color code some of the magic item types
- No XP for artifacts (it's used internally to keep them from popping up too early.)
- Minor bugfixes

http://www.rpggrognard.com/treasure/

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Thank you sir! Although I thought Aramis was going to supply the random numbers... :mrgreen:

House Rules

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Arduin wrote:Thank you sir! Although I thought Aramis was going to supply the random numbers... :mrgreen:
Unfortunately as he is located in Canada, the shipping was killing us.