New to C&C: Newbie questions

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Eblan85
Skobbit

New to C&C: Newbie questions

Post by Eblan85 »

Hello,

We started a new campaign last night. It was awesome. We are all new to C&C and we came up with the following Q's and /or issues:

a) Does a character start with his/her max hp? Or do they have to roll? We rolled but we don't fancy a Paladin with 1 HP. It was pretty funny but it was also weird.

b) We couldn't find anywhere in the book if everyone is supposed to start with all their class and race abilities from start (as long as they don't say you need a level higher than 1 of course)

c) Loot/Treasure... All those tables are fantastic, and it makes looting very exciting. However, we wonder if someone can become OP quickly if they are too lucky. Should we worry or just go with the flow?

d) Money, Loot & Not enough things to buy. Looting can make party members rich if they happen to kill a cool creature. It happened on our first night. Nothing too wow or too high but players ended with a nice sum of coins. The problem is: The item tables in the player's handbook list only a handful of items/weapons and armor and it is all kind of cheap. What stops players from farming monsters for money and buying a whole town of supplies? The stuff in the M&T Handbook is too fancy to be sold in stores right?

e) Can you play C&C with tiles and miniatures? We would like to see some tiles and have our own minis just cause it looks cool. But can it be applied? Does it work?

Thanks for your patience and I hope you guys can help us out. We enjoyed our first night a lot. We have been gathering for 3 months to RP. Last night we switched to C&C to make sessions "quicker" and more "fun" (We are all married/work/have kids) so D&D was a bit too much for us to handle and fully comprehend.

I tried searching for old posts asking these questions but I couldn't find any. I bet it has been asked a million times before but I'm not good at using this forum's search apparently. I apologize for any inconvenience :|

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Re: New to C&C: Newbie questions

Post by Buttmonkey »

Eblan85 wrote:Hello,

We started a new campaign last night. It was awesome. We are all new to C&C and we came up with the following Q's and /or issues:

a) Does a character start with his/her max hp? Or do they have to roll? We rolled but we don't fancy a Paladin with 1 HP. It was pretty funny but it was also weird.
By the book, players roll for starting hit points. However, the book actively encourages you to house rule things to fit your preferences. Max hit points at 1st level is a very common house rule. It's how I do it.
b) We couldn't find anywhere in the book if everyone is supposed to start with all their class and race abilities from start (as long as they don't say you need a level higher than 1 of course)
The PCs start with all class and racial abilities unless those abilities specify they kick in higher than 1st level.
c) Loot/Treasure... All those tables are fantastic, and it makes looting very exciting. However, we wonder if someone can become OP quickly if they are too lucky. Should we worry or just go with the flow?
I don't know what you mean by "OP". Overpowered? If that is what you meant, there a few things you can do to prevent the campaign being wrecked by overly-wealthy PCs. Here are some ideas:

1. Keep in mind that the treasure type for humanoid monsters is for the entire lair, not an individual orc or goblin encountered in the wild. The number of humanoids in a lair can be huge per the listings in Monsters & Treasure. When a party encounters 6-8 orcs as a wandering monster in the wild, they are probably only going to have a few small coins on them. If the party wants the loot, they will need to locate the lair and clear it out. A first level party is not going to be able to do that.

2. The CK is master of her universe. Nothing says the CK has to give out as much treasure as is indicated by the tables.

3. There are lots of ways to bleed off extra cash from the party. I make lower-end magic items available in larger cities in my campaign. My players are addicted to purchasing potions of healing and extra-healing. Start selling healing potions at 300 gp a pop and a lot of money will go away quickly. I also charge money to train for level advancement. I charge 1,000 gp times the PC's old level. Thus, for a 3rd level PC to advance to 4th level, they PC has to spend 3,000 gold pieces for training.

4. I think most CKs rule that items, including magic items, can be destroyed by certain effects. For example, if a PC fails a saving throw against a fireball, there is a risk all of the items the PC is carrying will be destroyed. There are optional rules in the CKG for adjudicating this. I prefer to use the old items saving throw chart from the 1st edition AD&D DMG.
d) Money, Loot & Not enough things to buy. Looting can make party members rich if they happen to kill a cool creature. It happened on our first night. Nothing too wow or too high but players ended with a nice sum of coins. The problem is: The item tables in the player's handbook list only a handful of items/weapons and armor and it is all kind of cheap. What stops players from farming monsters for money and buying a whole town of supplies? The stuff in the M&T Handbook is too fancy to be sold in stores right?
See my answer to (c). Assuming the items are available, I don't see anything wrong with the PCs buying everything they can afford. That presents some problems for the PCs. Where are they going to store all of that merchandise? They can't carry it all around with them. If they buy that walrus they've had their eyes on, how are they going to care for it and feed it? Outside of those logistical issues, let the players reap their just rewards for risking death and dismemberment.
e) Can you play C&C with tiles and miniatures? We would like to see some tiles and have our own minis just cause it looks cool. But can it be applied? Does it work?
It works just fine. C&C isn't tied to a grid the way 4th edition D&D is, but you can certainly use a battle mat and minis. Lots of people do. You can use dungeon tiles with C&C like any other RPG.[/quote]
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Eblan85 wrote:a) Does a character start with his/her max hp? Or do they have to roll? We rolled but we don't fancy a Paladin with 1 HP. It was pretty funny but it was also weird.
I'll start by saying that C&C is very easy to house rule things, so most of those questions are easily handled by the DM putting in a house rule and/or the CK determining how they want to run their game. I have a suggestion for A but will let others, with better knowledge, answer the rest.

I've personally house ruled- since the 1980's- that all level one characters start with max HP and don't start rolling for HP till second level. This has been a house rule that no one has ever argued with me about. :lol:
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Eblan85 wrote:Hello,

I think the general trend/house rule is max hp at 1st level. Some even have a " floor" of around half max for any future levels. But the actual rule in 1e days was roll every level.

If you are going to play C&C realise its strengths are simplicity and ease of modification/house rules. So, many people tweak and house rule the game a bit
Eblan85 wrote:b) We couldn't find anywhere in the book if everyone is supposed to start with all their class and race abilities from start (as long as they don't say you need a level higher than 1 of course)
Yes, you start with all of them unless they are specifically level tied. Additionally, you add your level to class and racial ability rolls
Eblan85 wrote:c) Loot/Treasure... All those tables are fantastic, and it makes looting very exciting. However, we wonder if someone can become OP quickly if they are too lucky. Should we worry or just go with the flow?
Randomized treasure can definitely produce anomalies. It's rare, because you have to roll a series of high rolls, but it is possible. Some enjoy it because it throws a wrench in their game and they get to adapt their game in interesting ways. Others don't want it to happen, so they just ignore that roll and roll again. It's up to the DM
Eblan85 wrote:d) Money, Loot & Not enough things to buy. Looting can make party members rich if they happen to kill a cool creature. It happened on our first night. Nothing too wow or too high but players ended with a nice sum of coins. The problem is: The item tables in the player's handbook list only a handful of items/weapons and armor and it is all kind of cheap. What stops players from farming monsters for money and buying a whole town of supplies? The stuff in the M&T Handbook is too fancy to be sold in stores right?
What about a +2 walrus? Does every player already have a magic walrus? Well, then they really are not yet "rich" are they? :lol: (yes, walruses are listed for sale in the book. Or they are in my printing)

Gaining a bunch of money very quickly is a common issue in D&D style games. In game terms, that's why people become adventurers. Buying up whole towns is more difficult than one might think because a)local powers in the region will not allow it/interfere with it and b)the gold rush effect: once a bunch of money enters the local economy, eggs go from 1 silver a dozen to 10 gp per dozen (and, everybody starts thinking about stopping farming chickens and maybe exploring those ruins for themselves ((or maybe, just staking out those ruins and jumping the tired PCs as they return from a hard days adventuring ;) ))

As for buying stuff in the M&T. That is a thorny one. Some DMs want magic to be special so you cannot buy it, but presumably a market would would arise for magic just like any other good in an economy. Especially since the manufacture of magic items is relatively straightforward. 3rd edition D&D allowed the buying of magic items to be commonplace, but realise it will ramp up the power level in your game and make the finding of magic items feel less special for the PCs
Eblan85 wrote:e) Can you play C&C with tiles and miniatures? We would like to see some tiles and have our own minis just cause it looks cool. But can it be applied? Does it work?
Absolutely. But I would recommend you don't waste too much time measuring actual squares for movement etc. Just eyeball that stuff and move your miniature.
Eblan85 wrote:Thanks for your patience and I hope you guys can help us out. We enjoyed our first night a lot. We have been gathering for 3 months to RP. Last night we switched to C&C to make sessions "quicker" and more "fun" (We are all married/work/have kids) so D&D was a bit too much for us to handle and fully comprehend.

I tried searching for old posts asking these questions but I couldn't find any. I bet it has been asked a million times before but I'm not good at using this forum's search apparently. I apologize for any inconvenience :|
Enjoy the game!

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Eblan85 wrote:
First GM (Game Master) rule for treasure in a D&D type game is: 1) don't use treasure tables without thought to the overall campaign logic.
Eblan85 wrote:d) Money, Loot & Not enough things to buy. Looting can make party members rich if they happen to kill a cool creature. It happened on our first night. Nothing too wow or too high but players ended with a nice sum of coins. The problem is: The item tables in the player's handbook list only a handful of items/weapons and armor and it is all kind of cheap. What stops players from farming monsters for money and buying a whole town of supplies? The stuff in the M&T Handbook is too fancy to be sold in stores right?
See 1st GM treasure rule above. Also, if a bunch of adventurers enter a town with tons of money and start buying, prices will VERY quickly rise to meet the new supply of money. The last horse in town to purchase is going to be VERY expensive. Remember history. Spain starts hauling in tons of gold into Europe from the New World. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Price_Revolution
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Eblan85
Skobbit

Post by Eblan85 »

Aramis wrote: Absolutely. But I would recommend you don't waste too much time measuring actual squares for movement etc. Just eyeball that stuff and move your miniature.
Can you give me an example of how movement would work? Just something simple so I can have an idea.

Also thanks a lot to everyone for their quick responses. I wasn't expecting to get help so quickly. :D

Eblan85
Skobbit

Post by Eblan85 »

Eblan85 wrote:
Aramis wrote: Absolutely. But I would recommend you don't waste too much time measuring actual squares for movement etc. Just eyeball that stuff and move your miniature.
Can you give me an example of how movement would work? Just something simple so I can have an idea. We are all new to both C&C and D&D we are just starting :|

Also thanks a lot to everyone for their quick responses. I wasn't expecting to get help so quickly. :D

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Eblan85 wrote:
Can you give me an example of how movement would work? Just something simple so I can have an idea.
Just pick a scale for a square. Say 5' per square. A human moves 30' so that is 6 squares.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Eblan85
Skobbit

Post by Eblan85 »

Arduin wrote:
Eblan85 wrote:
Just pick a scale for a square. Say 5' per square. A human moves 30' so that is 6 squares.
Very clear and quick response sir. Thank you so much! :D