Training to gain levels ~ do you enforce/use it?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Training to gain levels ~ do you enforce/use it?

Post by Rhuvein »

In the PHB under gaining levels (5th print, page 136).

I don't use it for online games, but have used it in my FtF game some years back. I usually worked the training into the story/campaign and it didn't take up too much game time.

:)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Omote
Battle Stag

Re: Training to gain levels ~ do you enforce/use it?

Post by Omote »

I use it as an option for the player to gain potentially further benefits. 100gp x level. 1 week.

~⊙
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Omote wrote:I use it as an option for the player to gain potentially further benefits. 100gp x level. 1 week.

~⊙
Thanks for your reply, good sir.

You reminded me, that I did grant some small XP for said training!! [Even if I used it to slow down level advancement!!! :D ]

;)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

No, haven't used it since early in my 1E AD&D days.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

It depends on the campaign.

ThrorII
Red Cap

Post by ThrorII »

No. My only rule is no leveling during the adventure. All leveling happens 'back in town'.

concobar
Ulthal

Post by concobar »

I use it.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Training is an option not a requirement. Selecting to train bestows more choices.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

ThrorII wrote:No. My only rule is no leveling during the adventure. All leveling happens 'back in town'.
That's how I run my games.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Naw. It is a DOA rule just like it was in 1st Edition. It's always been a HORRIBLE meta gaming rule.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

I don't role play it out, but if they want to level they have to pay. 25% right off the top.
Training costs 25% of an adventurer’s share of treasure earned by slaying monsters, and is assumed to be performed between adventures, with enough time passing for all training to take place. The Castle Keeper advances the game calendar a number of days equal to the longest training period in the party, plus 2d6+2 days to allow for the adventurers to get back together if they parted ways after the conclusion of the adventure. Side adventures for characters not training all fall within this time frame.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

serleran wrote:Training is an option not a requirement. Selecting to train bestows more choices.
Well, the Trolls use the word "must" train before advancing - just like they "must" gain enough XPs. I'd say it's a rule!

:P

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Rhuvein wrote:
serleran wrote:Training is an option not a requirement. Selecting to train bestows more choices.
Well, the Trolls use the word "must" train before advancing - just like they "must" gain enough XPs. I'd say it's a rule!

:P
I don't use XP either.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I haven't used XP for my current campaign. I have to say, it feels weird, but its also been liberating. I'm thinking ignoring XP will be my default from now on.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:I haven't used XP for my current campaign. I have to say, it feels weird, but its also been liberating. I'm thinking ignoring XP will be my default from now on.
I didn't for my last campaign, but that was more or less an extended playtest/tweaking of my house rules. I always liked the use of xp from the player perspective. It was a tangible thing to see the progress of my character inching his way to the next level.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Rigon wrote:
ThrorII wrote:No. My only rule is no leveling during the adventure. All leveling happens 'back in town'.
That's how I run my games.

R-
Same.
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I require training, although I don't know if what I require matches the RAW from the PHB. Basically, I require the PC to train for one week in order to go up in level. The training costs 1,000 gp x the old level. For example, if the PC is training from 4th to 5th level, it costs 4,000 gp. Training to 2nd level only costs 500 gp. Training is available in most cities.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I've never gotten the training rule anyways. On the job training works just fine, so that is what I assume they get as adventurers. Training only makes sense to me for those who never adventure and stay safely within city walls, etc... In my opinion nothing teaches you what you need to know better than constant life and death situations. Not to mention motivate you. How can a "class room" compare to that?

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

C&C btb at least, doesn't require a mentor or money to be spent, but I think adding the mentor aspect can be fun: NPCs that are tied to the characters as teachers, having them report back to the temple, wizard's tower, garrison commander, thieves' guild etc. But if you have a game where they are traveling constantly it can be a real hassle.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

I can see training for BtH, additional spells, more HPs etc.

And I can see classroom training (in a wizards' tower) or on the adventure training as well. They get it while adventuring and then have a chance to perfect it (the PH training), as it were - so they are totally prepared for their next adventure.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Yes, I do use and enforce it. They have to find someone of at least they level they need to advance to or higher. They'll get hit points right away (but not skills, etc.) and I'll allow them to continue in the dungeon/wilderness, etc. If they reach the subsequent level, they won't get anything (no hit points, skills etc.)

Warunsun
Hlobane Orc

Post by Warunsun »

I require training and it has never caused an issue. Mostly it just requires time and a little money to be spent. So it just advances the calender mostly.

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

I've used it some times and not used it others, depending on the group. Some don't like it or find it burdensome. But I've found it can improve the game when used properly. If you see it as just something the rules are forcing you to do, then shelve it. But in my games it has increased the pleasure derived from simple coinage as treasure. When I've ditched it, it has lowered the desire for money treasure and at some points the players would even moan at the idea of getting lots of gold because there wasn't a ton to use it on for a large swath of the game as written. I found ways to work around it but they were no better or worse. If you've thrown out other rules, then the training rules are likely no longer useful. But if you like money to have and extra layer of meaning and want to give your players an extra motivation and roleplay opportunity tied to levels, it can be pretty useful.
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

At lower levels, training is not much of an issue - players can find the needed trainers in any reasonably sized towns. However, at higher levels, they need to find specialized skills training, which I include in various adventures.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

I do not use training rules for leveling up, but I do use them for skills that have a fuzzy area not otherwise covered. For example, on a recent voyage at sea, a PC wanted to become a proficient sailor – I let him train for that.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Stopped using that shortly after starting character debt for training... just too much book keeping.. I make them train.. when the roll play and the time is right, sometimes for years (of game time).
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Captain_K wrote:Stopped using that shortly after starting character debt for training... just too much book keeping.. I make them train.. when the roll play and the time is right, sometimes for years (of game time).
Years!!! :shock:

ThrorII
Red Cap

Post by ThrorII »

Yeah, for full disclosure, I also don't track xp anymore. I generally have characters level every other session for levels 1-4, and every third session for 5-8, and every fourth session for 9-12 (I top out my games at 12th).

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Rhuvein wrote:
Captain_K wrote:Stopped using that shortly after starting character debt for training... just too much book keeping.. I make them train.. when the roll play and the time is right, sometimes for years (of game time).
Sure. Like Jyrdan above talked about a PC wanting to be a proficient [ocean] sailor. That takes years of training and experience to achieve.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Arduin wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:
Sure. Like Jyrdan above talked about a PC wanting to be a proficient [ocean] sailor. That takes years of training and experience to achieve.
Hmm, perhaps he/they might wish to equate years with training level, ergo - how many years for advancing level 1 to 2. How many for 5 to 7.

Then, I might or might not be shocked!