Of Gods & Monsters Question

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Michael Montalto
Ungern

Of Gods & Monsters Question

Post by Michael Montalto »

Will Of Gods & Monsters have a Kickstarter to update the content sometime in 2016? I would like to purchase the PDF and then the hardcover once it is released but I don't want to purchase the old model if it's going to be updated soon. I would prefer to have the latest cover (I like the new ones a lot more).

Second, the book gets many great reviews. What are your thoughts on the book?

-mM

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Of Gods & Monsters Question

Post by Treebore »

I am guessing they will, but its going to be a while yet before they get to it. As for the book itself, yes, some of the powers given to worshippers are too much, but can be easily tweaked or totally ignored by a CK. Aside from that, its pretty good, with a number of interesting magic items that gods can loan to favored worshippers and some decent spells. While I also like the write ups of the deities themselves, your not really going to get anything new from the write ups, aside from the special powers/abilities devout worshippers can earn. If you want a truly awesome write up on religions for an RPG, pick up the 3E Book of the Righteous. I think Green Ronin did that one.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Fortenbras
Skobbit

Post by Fortenbras »

I really like the book a lot although I would have liked to see Chinese mythos included. Some of the powers really are a little nuts (ahem...Roman) but then again, if it applies to everyone in the campaign (NPCs Included) it should even out. You can easily just houserule them out or change them however. I personally like the idea of special abilities going to all worshipers rather than just clerics, it gives PCs a real reason to get involved in the mythos of their world/local. There is a danger of min/maxing but that can be dealt with if it gets out of hand.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Yes, this book is not a book for use by players. It is book to give ideas to GMs. I do not think for a second that the author intended it for players to use in char gen.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Fortenbras wrote:I really like the book a lot although I would have liked to see Chinese mythos included.
Which ones? There is a pantheon pretty much for each of the 32 different cultural regions of China from what bits I've read on their mythology. 8 million gods for the Japanese. Though I think the Korean and southeast asian countries are a bit tamer in their numbers. :lol:
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

It used to bother me that certain deities granted exorbitant gifts and then it stopped. I figured that there could be a very good reason: advertisement. After all, a powerful god can afford to give powerful attributes to their followers, as means of saying "thank you" and others might need a few select individuals to broadcast what they can do. Nothing says there is no hard limit to how many people can receive benefits... only what they might be. As more join the fold, perhaps the benefits increase or simply more fun is spread around. It also encourages the power's enemies to provide likewise or be seen as weak, selfish, or whatever which may be fitting (or not.)

Just my own catharsis on it. No one need agree.

Fortenbras
Skobbit

Post by Fortenbras »

Go0gleplex wrote:
Fortenbras wrote:I really like the book a lot although I would have liked to see Chinese mythos included.
Which ones? There is a pantheon pretty much for each of the 32 different cultural regions of China from what bits I've read on their mythology. 8 million gods for the Japanese. Though I think the Korean and southeast asian countries are a bit tamer in their numbers. :lol:
In the immortal words of Egg Shen, "Chinese have a lot of hells." They also have a lot of gods. :) I think they would just have to do like they did with the Native American mythos, choose a few of the more common beliefs/deities and go with that.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I'd like to see the old DnD Deities and DemiGods basically converted.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Michael Montalto
Ungern

I just picked it up via RPGnow. I'm a little confused as to why it's in a .exe file, but no big deal. My players are all craving Gods, and I plant to give it to them.

-mM

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Michael Montalto wrote:I just picked it up via RPGnow. I'm a little confused as to why it's in a .exe file, but no big deal. My players are all craving Gods, and I plant to give it to them.

-mM

I'm surprised that your PDF reading s/w opened an .exe file...

House Rules

Michael Montalto
Ungern

Yes. I'm shocked as well. This shouldn't have been an .EXE. Its a bad file and installs garbage onto your machine. Thankfully I run a VM for my Windows machine and will simply roll back.

I've contacted RPGnow and informed them of this issue and told them that I want my PDF. I hope that they get this to me soon as I spent $20.00 to get it and I was sent a fricking virus.

-mM

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Michael Montalto wrote:Yes. I'm shocked as well. This shouldn't have been an .EXE. Its a bad file and installs garbage onto your machine. Thankfully I run a VM for my Windows machine and will simply roll back.

I've contacted RPGnow and informed them of this issue and told them that I want my PDF. I hope that they get this to me soon as I spent $20.00 to get it and I was sent a fricking virus.

-mM
Yes, the oft used vector for malware. Can't believe they screwed up that badly at RPGNow

House Rules

Michael Montalto
Ungern

UPDATE:

I received an email from RPGNow. They credited my account and informed me that the product that I had selected was not the book that I was expecting to purchase (I had selected an incorrect product). I was able to download the book (and am reading it now) and have a credit with the company.

This doesn't resolve the fact that the file that they are sharing contains malware, but it does rectify my scenario. I wanted to ensure that everyone knew that the company does in fact remediate the issues that come their way.

-mM

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Did you maybe download the Fantasy Grounds version? What garbage did it install? All the FG stuff I have gotten so far just installs the FG module/book files in the Fantasy Grounds folder.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Thanks for the update.

House Rules

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Michael Montalto wrote:Second, the book gets many great reviews. What are your thoughts on the book?
Mike,

Pretty interesting book, but for the most part it's banned at my table. Of note, I'm using one of the Halfling dieities right now in my game, had to think of one on the fly so quite handy. A good tool for the CK, just not the PCs.

When I started the campaign, I allowed the PCs (Cleric types) to choose any god if they wanted or a homebrew one. The problem with the book, IMHO, is the bonus they give are way, way too overpowered for the type of game I'm interested in playing. I had regular PCs start looking through the book to min/max their PC which is why I've now gone to banning the book. The PC that is the Cleric still get's his initial bonus (archery), but no access to the overpowered spells, etc. That being said, you could certainly make it work, by having the NPCs have access to just as much stuff.

While there is a great selection of gods, I was disappointed on two fronts. The first is the trolls missed an opportunity to address Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Christianity, etc. While some don't want to go there, there are plenty of Modern day worshipers of some of the faiths in the book (Native American, Norse, Celtic) so not dealing with "real" world faiths was a missed opportunity. Secondly, I would have liked to have seen something akin to the Chaos/Law conflict of Elric of Melnibone, kind of what DCC did. Not sure how that would look though.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

TheMetal1 wrote: The first is the trolls missed an opportunity to address Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Christianity, etc. While some don't want to go there, there are plenty of Modern day worshipers of some of the faiths in the book (Native American, Norse, Celtic) so not dealing with "real" world faiths was a missed opportunity.
Probably because of all the hate mail and death threats they would risk getting for "not doing it right".
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:
TheMetal1 wrote: The first is the trolls missed an opportunity to address Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Christianity, etc. While some don't want to go there, there are plenty of Modern day worshipers of some of the faiths in the book (Native American, Norse, Celtic) so not dealing with "real" world faiths was a missed opportunity.
Probably because of all the hate mail and death threats they would risk getting for "not doing it right".
:lol: So true

House Rules

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I third that, "no modern mythology" is about the only religion rule I have in my world..
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Captain_K wrote:I third that, "no modern mythology" is about the only religion rule I have in my world..
It's not about at the table but as a publisher... If a person wants to play a cleric of a contemporary god I'll fit it in to the game.

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I prefer to not risk opening up any cans of worms, let alone that one. There are plenty of cool options already, so I'm not going to bother risking such potential arguments over what is supposed to be a fun, imaginary, game.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:I prefer to not risk opening up any cans of worms, let alone that one. There are plenty of cool options already, so I'm not going to bother risking such potential arguments over what is supposed to be a fun, imaginary, game.
I've not had a problem. Just make sure you have adults playing at the table of course. I'm really not impressed when someone claims to be offended by another's RPing.

House Rules

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Treebore wrote:
Well...I can understand the concern considering what happened in Paris yesterday.

From a 1st Amendment Perspective, though both from Religion and Press we shouldn't allow fear or terror or political correctness prevent anyone from writing a book like that. From a business concern pressure can certainly be exerted, but I would think - as no one has really taken it on (albeit precisely because of fear mentioned above) - it would be a worthwhile project.

Green Ronin did some work on this for a 3.0/3.5 D&D Varient called "Testament: Role-playing in the Biblical Era." They covered the Hebrew culture including monotheism pretty well. They also covered Babylonian, Egyptian and Canaanite cultures and religion. There were some follow up I'd be curious to know if they received any backlash. I don't think it sold all that well, but I did manage a few games of it.

I don't think that by doing a contemporary religious book, like "Of God's and Monsters 2" or follow in the series the most excellent series that Brian Young is doing for the Trolls with the various Codices would garner a negative response.

Let's mention the elephant in the room though. Doing an RPG book based on the Islamic religion would be a challenge. Not that it would be interesting talking about Jinn, the desert environment, Arabian nights, Al Quadim but with monotheistic perspective. How to stat out Allah or the Prophet Mohammad is probably where the focal point of tension is. (The same goes for stating out Jesus and YHWH - or the respective "Avatar"). Further, Art becomes a challenge as in Islam, IIRC, there is a prohibition from drawing that include images of people and in particular the Mohammad. Which the previous Paris attacks on Charlie Hebo were about.

How you present the material is important as well. Not out of a Political Correctness, but out of fun first and of course, dignity and respect.
Arduin wrote:
Treebore wrote:I prefer to not risk opening up any cans of worms, let alone that one. There are plenty of cool options already, so I'm not going to bother risking such potential arguments over what is supposed to be a fun, imaginary, game.
I've not had a problem. Just make sure you have adults playing at the table of course. I'm really not impressed when someone claims to be offended by another's RPing.

I second Arudin's comments here. That being said, Tree, I do understand the concern. A lot of folks want to leave behind the real world for the purpose of fun and escapism. Adding the granular level of detail about contemporary religions may be turn off for some, though it may alleviate tension for others who are offended or off-put by the game as whole with demons, devils and pagan gods, at least giving them a choice to have monotheism alongside the polytheism (and atheism - as Pathfinder has a nation-state that has banned all religion, "Rahadoum."

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I learned long ago that just because people are above a certain age, doesn't mean you have a bunch of adults sitting at the table. If that were the case, I'd be able to talk politics, religion, etc... with anyone over 18. So no, I don't care how many years I've known the people I game with, I am not going to risk ruining everything by bringing things into the game that may ruin everything. Already have had that happen twice in my gaming career, I am not going to invite a third.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Treebore,

Religion and politics is a topic we don't typically bring up, as we're all there to game, likely because most of us don't care (because we're here to game) and two it's an uncomfortable topic for a lot of people. Maturity, difficult and uncomfortable topics are not for everyone because it can ruin the fun and hurt relationships.

So contemporary religion may not be something the Trolls want to do, but at the very least, they should include a chapter on montheism, dualism and the "one" church. Using elements contemporary religion without invoking them (much like demons/devils/angels etc.) would be interesting.

Would that be something worth considering?

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Personally where most Gods books/publications went with Avatars I thought was wrong. Avatars are not appropriate for most past religions. I always thought the Judeo Christian devils and demons were out of place similar to Solars and other "angles" under another name... I like letting things belong in their region or sphere of influence, but not universally over all other regions... that said, that is my concern and my methods, not for everyone.

This whole topic has been pretty darn polite and professional, there may be hope for us!