Who here enjoys playing wizards?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Who here enjoys playing wizards?

Post by slimykuotoan »

For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Who here enjoys playing wizards?

Post by Rigon »

Only combined with another class. Usually fighter.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Zardnaar
Ungern

Post by Zardnaar »

Depends on the edition and level but not much. HIgh level wizard for example is powerful but I do not enjoy them.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Ack, bad memories ... I know I've told about my first character being a wizard and after I cast my last spell the rest of the party threw me to the orc hoard to slow them down when they ran away. So, I won't go more into detail ... but needless to say, I got a bad taste in my mouth about magic users early on.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

I've only played them as NPCs. I'd like to played one from level 1 at some point.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

I enjoy playing wizards... probably my 2nd favorite class to play.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Lurker wrote:Ack, bad memories ... I know I've told about my first character being a wizard and after I cast my last spell the rest of the party threw me to the orc hoard to slow them down when they ran away. So, I won't go more into detail ... but needless to say, I got a bad taste in my mouth about magic users early on.
Emphasis mine.
Sounds like the bad taste was caused by the other players. Were they running evil PCs?
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

RunningLaser
Mist Elf

Post by RunningLaser »

I like keeping things simple with running characters. Fighting types and thieves.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Wizards can be fun if the GM of the game is willing to let you play a little bit out of the box with them. I had one wizard I played that dressed as a thief sans armor. Instead of lock picks he used strong acids and droppers to disable locks. His spell load was more support than blow stuff up as well.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Ancalagon wrote:
Lurker wrote:Ack, bad memories ... I know I've told about my first character being a wizard and after I cast my last spell the rest of the party threw me to the orc hoard to slow them down when they ran away. So, I won't go more into detail ... but needless to say, I got a bad taste in my mouth about magic users early on.
Emphasis mine.
Sounds like the bad taste was caused by the other players. Were they running evil PCs?

I agree that they were the root cause, but the class never really fit me any ways.

As for their alignment, if it wasn't evil it should have been ... Heck, most of the time they played neutral greedy no matter what their alignment was listed as.

It did teach me quickly to choose my friends a bit more wisely. Luckily, I fond 'better' people to be friends with but that also liked to game, so it all worked out.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yes, but I have only ever played one as a "pure" Wizard. If I were to say what my favorite "classes" are, its Wizard-Thief or Wizard-Fighter.

The only classes I enjoy playing by themselves are Fighter, Paladin or Knight. Everything else I prefer to combine with another class.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

I really dislike the vancian casting system so I generally eskew magic users. However, having seen what happens at higher levels to the wizard so maybe someday I'll eat my words with a side of fireball.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Fine on their own, but better mixed with another class, especially one which adds utility the wizard normally has to suffer to obtain... like cleric, fighter, or thief.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

jdizzy001 wrote: I really dislike the vancian casting system so I generally eskew magic users. However, having seen what happens at higher levels to the wizard so maybe someday I'll eat my words with a side of fireball.
Rgr there. I may like them better with a 'spell point' system or something like that.

Also, back in the day, I kicked around an idea from a Dragon Mag about "Paths of Magic" However, it came out right before I dropped off the face of the world gaming wise, so I never got to house rule it into something I like and then try it out in my games.

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:
jdizzy001 wrote: I really dislike the vancian casting system so I generally eskew magic users. However, having seen what happens at higher levels to the wizard so maybe someday I'll eat my words with a side of fireball.
Rgr there. I may like them better with a 'spell point' system or something like that.

Also, back in the day, I kicked around an idea from a Dragon Mag about "Paths of Magic" However, it came out right before I dropped off the face of the world gaming wise, so I never got to house rule it into something I like and then try it out in my games.
If I ever see/find a spell point system that uses the exact same spell lists we have now, and does NOT make Spell casters even more powerful than they already are, AND doesn't require even more book keeping from deciding how to divide the points up, then I will be a fan.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.