What do you consider are the essential C&C modules?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
RunningLaser
Mist Elf

What do you consider are the essential C&C modules?

Post by RunningLaser »

Trying to slowly grab some C&C modules as I can. Doing research, I see that Assault on Blacktooth Ridge, Rising Knight and Mortality of Green are liked, so I picked those up. What modules do folks here think best represent C&C and are must haves?

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: What do you consider are the essential C&C modules?

Post by Treebore »

To me, modules are what I make of them as the CK running them, and I have made all of the modules I have run worth while. Which is the majority of the ones in this one day sale. I have not ran the newer modules, but I now own them in print! I already owned them all in PDF. :)
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The A series has its weak modules (Slag Heap in particular), but over all is very strong. I also strongly recommend the Halflings Hall adventure, as well as Fingers of the Forsaken Hand, and the Haunted Highlands module series, but I don't consider any of them to be "bad". Just remember, I judge modules by the experience I turn them into, not how they are actually written. So the potential of all of them is for a great game experience.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Lion in the Ropes is a great module.

My players and I really enjoyed playing this one some 8 or 9 years ago!

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

None of them are essential because it is so easy to put your own stuff together.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Go0gleplex wrote:None of them are essential because it is so easy to put your own stuff together.
No it isn't. I spend far more time looking up creatures close to what I want, finding or creating my own maps, writing up my own NPC's and finding images suitable for them, etc... than the time I spend when I simply re-purpose a module to my own ends.

Thats even with me already have a rather larger "image bank" for me to search through on my own computer for NPC's, and having bought a couple of hundred general purpose maps by Paizo, Heroic Maps, The Forge, and others. Heck, just drawing out my own maps, while fun, can take many hours.

So I much rather buy a module and rewrite it to my own purposes and re purpose their maps and their NPC's to my needs.

Mileage varies for each of us, and all that. Its just how I've ended up doing things.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

RunningLaser wrote:Trying to slowly grab some C&C modules as I can. Doing research, I see that Assault on Blacktooth Ridge, Rising Knight and Mortality of Green are liked, so I picked those up. What modules do folks here think best represent C&C and are must haves?
You pretty much nailed it with those 3.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Castle Zagyg.

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

Rigon wrote: You pretty much nailed it with those 3.
Agreed. Also, to add to the list I would also include the Free RPG Day modules. They're often good points of entry for people new to C&C. And, if you can make it to FLGS on Free RPG Day, they're also free. :D

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

serleran wrote:Castle Zagyg.
Indeed.

Easy to overlook and for me, I ran UP and Yggs for a few years and our group enjoyed it immensely.

I'd say CZ is essential for any edition/version of D&D/C&C. It just rocks and kicks ass!

8-)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

maasenstodt
Hlobane Orc

Post by maasenstodt »

For a straight dungeon crawl, I really like Dark Journey. I think the magic items need some spicing up, wandering monster tables need to be added, and the author's recommendation to avoiding restocking is wrong. In fact, I think those are weak spots in many of TLG's modules. Nevertheless, the dungeon layout is really good and it has a pretty good mix of encounters, making it a good introductory adventure.

I think A2 - Slag Heap is great for its factions play, and well worth adding along with A0 (which I really like) and A1 (which I think is solid but a bit overrated).

Speaking of groups of three modules, I think I1 through I3 are quite good as well. If you like running large battles with lower level PCs being up against the wall, you'll find few better.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Absolutely loooved Verdant Rage.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

joneshoward
Mist Elf

Post by joneshoward »

I picked up a huge swathe of them in the last couple of days, what with the .99 cents sale on site and then the 1.99 sale over at RPGNow.

I'm immensely impressed with all of them so far. They're just dripping with atmosphere. Even if I won't use them exactly as written, I'm totally nabbing a whole bunch of the details.

I didn't pick up anything from the Haunted Highlands -- perhaps during some future sale.
"Who dies first?"
--Conan, "The Phoenix on the Sword"

http://www.howardandrewjones.com

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Though the correct answer is probably Castle Zagyg, I will still say the very best is Heart of Glass. An immense series of adventures tucked away into a tiny micro-setting within Aihrde. Even though I don't really run Aihrde, I do love this module/sourcebook.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<