Undercaverns of Gaxmoor

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Treebore
Mogrl

Undercaverns of Gaxmoor

Post by Treebore »

Just Dled it, so I have yet to read through it, just scrolled through it pretty quickly.

So, judging by the maps, it looks like, over all, a pretty standard cavern crawl, again, going by the maps and the monster entries I did note. Which is fine.

What gets me is the cover. It looks to be some kind of digital process, and it has to be, in my opinion of course, one of, it not THE most ugly cover I have ever seen the Trolls use.

It looks like they may have been going for a retro kind of look, but thats not TLG. Thats Goodman games. Goodman games is allowed to have ugly covers that look like kids drew it. Thats their "thing".

I think the Trolls owe us a cover in line with how they do their covers, especially before this thing gets printed.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

vestcoat
Henchman

Re: Undercaverns of Gaxmoor

Post by vestcoat »

Is this available to non-kickstarter backers yet?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

vestcoat wrote:Is this available to non-kickstarter backers yet?
Nope.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

I disagree.

I think the cover is fabulous!

Very different for sure and very unusual, but in a great way!

Well done!

8-)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rhuvein wrote:I disagree.

I think the cover is fabulous!

Very different for sure and very unusual, but in a great way!

Well done!

8-)
Artwork is subjective, to me its ugly, and I have collected prints of the artists work. Far from my favorite work by him.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I like the Goodman covers. Kovacs' work really sells those DCC modules for me.

RunningLaser
Mist Elf

Post by RunningLaser »

What does the picture in question look like?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

RunningLaser wrote:What does the picture in question look like?
It has a tower like structure in the background, with what looks to be a night time sky. Plus there are multiple gargoyles, one of which has swooped down to attack a Wizard looking character. What really turns me off about the image is the gargoyle looks like it was drawn with a dot matrix printer, with large dots. The wizard is drawn much the same way, but the effect on him is it makes him look like he is seriously diseased.

I normally really like Mark Allens work, to the point where I have bought a couple of really nice high quality prints of his. Still, the aesthetics of this cover have completely missed the mark with me. In those polls Slimy posted a while back about which TLG covers were the best and which were the ugliest, this one would win my vote for ugliest.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I find the cover sort of amusing. The wizard is in quite a pickle!

But the problem I think is that the technique of drawing the castle, dragon, and wizard clashes with the smoothly rendered sky. Like mixing crosshatching with stippling, it usually is best to stick with one style for the entire picture.

The picture would have worked well in black and white, and I wonder if it wasn't colored after the fact.

That said, it's a pretty minor thing to me and not too out of place with lots of other RPG art in other books
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

jeffb
Ungern

Post by jeffb »

Is that not a blown up version of the pic utilized in M&T for thr Gargoyle entry?

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Gotta agree with Tree somewhat. That cover is not one of the better covers I have seen on any product.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

jeffb wrote:Is that not a blown up version of the pic utilized in M&T for thr Gargoyle entry?
Or the M&T one is shrunk down. And it does look better in B&W, though isn't really cover material. I wonder if the original artists got any say over how their artwork was colored?
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aergraith wrote:
jeffb wrote:Is that not a blown up version of the pic utilized in M&T for thr Gargoyle entry?
Or the M&T one is shrunk down. And it does look better in B&W, though isn't really cover material. I wonder if the original artists got any say over how their artwork was colored?
All his artwork, that I have seen anyways, has been colored, by him. Like I said above, I usually really like his work, but this one is very sub par to me. Oh well, I imagine the greater the body of work an artists gets, the more pieces you will find that you don't really like. I would definitely never buy a print of this one.

Kersus
Red Cap

Post by Kersus »

I think I missed this. Which KS was it in? I did Three Sisters and Lost City of Gaxmoor....
Join the scorn. Don't hate us as the home of the SCHWA RPG. Hate us because we're Furiously Eclectic. Be wildly multifarious on our dime.