The C&C Journal/notebook

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Treebore
Mogrl

The C&C Journal/notebook

Post by Treebore »

I like to keep journals. I still write my notes by hand, and when a reread them they do remind me of many details of the games I have run, Especially the recurring NPC's and the traits I gave them, and their own personal goals I had feeding off of what the players were doing, and so on.

All that being said, I cannot bring myself to buy the C&C journals, no matter how cool they dress them up to be. Sure, the logo is cool, the ribbon is cool, the expandable little pocket is cool, but for me, its not $10, or more, worth of cool. I'd much rather go to the Dollar General and buy the notebook these appear to be based upon for a dollar or two each. I'd much rather have 5 to 10 notebooks that are generic, without ribbons, etc... for the price I could buy just one C&C notebook for.

https://www.trolllord.com/tlgstore/#!/C ... p/68072050
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl

Re: The C&C Journal/notebook

Post by serleran »

If they had 40 pages of graph / hex (maybe 3:1) paper, I would be all over those. They are slick looking, except I personally would prefer different colors. Little mini-campaigns. Yeah. I could do that.

Though, honestly, I say that but I would likely not even use it... just have it sit and look pretty. I'm not the journal kind, except I do make a lot of notes of stuff I want to create.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I'd buy it if it was fountain pen friendly.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Graph paper for the win.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Hardcover & logo = excellent.

But,

I'd only buy if it were $4.99 or less.

:P
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

I agree that the notebook looks great. However, my preferred style is, if I'm going to prepare for an adventure, I tear out the paper and assemble it (along with any non-standard paper sized objects) in a 3-ring binder. But, it's always tough to resist new C&C products so I might cave at some point. :D

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Looking at similar quality and make commercial notebooks, this is actually a pretty fairly priced deal.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

SmokestackJones
Hlobane Orc

Post by SmokestackJones »

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree on the lower price-point (I use a fresh book for each campaign so at the current cost it'd get pricey after a while). Also, yes, grid paper instead of lined. Way more versatile. I usually go to Staples and pick up a composition book. They have them gridded for a decent price. Sorry guys, I'll have to pass on this one.

-SJ

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I ordered two. Tim said he called the manufacturer and the paper is 80 g/sm, so there's a fair chance it won't bleed with most fountain pens, but won't know until I try them. He also said the manufacturer said there may be slight show-through with a fountain pen, but I am guessing with a fine or extra fine nib this will be OK.

If you compare the price with Quo Vadis, Leuchturm, Clarefontaine, Rhodia, etc. it's not badly priced.

Incidentally, SOME dollar store paper works ok with fountain pens, but it's hard to tell by looking at it. The Dollar General composition notebooks that are made in India have only slight feathering and bleed-through.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aergraith wrote:I ordered two. Tim said he called the manufacturer and the paper is 80 g/sm, so there's a fair chance it won't bleed with most fountain pens, but won't know until I try them. He also said the manufacturer said there may be slight show-through with a fountain pen, but I am guessing with a fine or extra fine nib this will be OK.

If you compare the price with Quo Vadis, Leuchturm, Clarefontaine, Rhodia, etc. it's not badly priced.

Incidentally, SOME dollar store paper works ok with fountain pens, but it's hard to tell by looking at it. The Dollar General composition notebooks that are made in India have only slight feathering and bleed-through.
Yeah, like I said above Smokestacks post, looking at similar quality notebooks the Trolls actually have a very fair price on this.The most similar ones I can find are about $5 more than their current sale price.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The Trolls have these up on their FLASH50 sale (less than an hour left!). So at $6 I went ahead and ordered 2. Got a couple of other things too, but these were the main reason I looked at the sale.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Darn, missed the flash sale. But I did see lots of other stuff that I might try to get in the future.

The C&C dice roller cup.

Troll Knuckles.

The map/poster of Codex Nordica and Aufstrag by Jason Walton.

And other stuff, that I can't remember at the moment.

:)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I have a black hardback journal I use for ideas and while the logo is nice I can get ones like I use cheaper with no shipping. They do look slick though.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Harlock
Ungern

Post by Harlock »

Aergraith wrote:I'd buy it if it was fountain pen friendly.
Wait a second here. What kinds of fountain pens? If you happen to not know, the Rhodia Webnotebook in A5 would be a great substitute for this. Maybe they'll make a C&C sticker we could buy and stick on them?
~~~~~R.I.P~~~~~
Tom Moldvay
Nov. 5, 1948 – March 9, 2007
B/X, B4, X2 - You were D&D to me

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The ones I bought via the 50% off flash sale have been shipped to me. So hopefully by the end of the week I'll have them in hand.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Map of Aufstrag by Jason Walton? Have I missed something?