He slammed C&C.

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
maximus
Ulthal

Re: He slammed C&C.

Post by maximus »

Aergraith wrote:
maximus wrote:
Penny-Whistle wrote:
Traveller wrote:I have little to add here. He doesn't frequent RPGGeek, thankfully, and thus I don't know him. But I do know that getting butthurt over a word is all the rage in today's society. So he's butthurt, but he's nothing more than a crank. He doesn't speak for anyone except himself, and I would hope any adherent of Islam that visits these forums understands that they're welcome here.
The way to make sure people feel welcome is to avoid intentional or even accidental offence -- and when a problem comes up to hear what they are saying to see if there is something I might do to make the situation more comfortable. Sorry it distressed so many people but I prefer knowing to being oblivious. We only have a couple of Muslim friends but I think now that if we get together to play again I might bring this up to check in on their feelings.
So what happens if your Muslim friends are offended? Are you going to quit playing the game?
If it makes them uncomfortable we have a whole shelf full of games. We like our friends and like them to enjoy themselves when they come to visit. We'd play C&C with people that it didn't bother and play whatever else with them.

I can't imagine they'd give a crap, but it's easy to accommodate and show hospitality so why not.
As would I, but I'm not going to walk around on egg shells just in case I might offend someone either.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

All that's happening is one lonely person out there, attempting to impose his warped view of political correctness on a community that really doesn't care. The rpg.net thread should have told him that, but he was too myopic to see it.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

I think there comes a point where pc-ness ceases to be a means of creating a healthy, accepting environment for all, and instead becomes a weapon used by 'not very nice people' to attack and divide others, and to flaunt their -often superficial- 'moral superiority'.

Not cool imo.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Yeah, and the word police come from both sides of the political spectrum.
Patriotic Correctness
slimykuotoan wrote:I think there comes a point where pc-ness ceases to be a means of creating a healthy, accepting environment for all, and instead becomes a weapon used by 'not very nice people' to attack and divide others, and to flaunt their -often superficial- 'moral superiority'.

Not cool imo.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Agreed.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

GameOgre
Ulthal

Post by GameOgre »

You know I read threads like this and realize how bad things have gotten. It's a seemingly small thing and I can see many posters trying to dance carefully around and not confront things head on for fear of insulting someone especially a fellow gamer who likes C&C.

I certainly don't want to send the wrong kind of message myself. I don't care what religion or race you are, if you are a gamer then come on in! Pull up a chair and game the night away with us!

At the same time I don't want to have to dodge pot shots that have absolutely nothing to do with gaming but fired anyway because of peoples personal agendas. This isn't the place for politics or religion unless its the kind between dwarves and elves!

People taking historical liberties with facts and twisting them to suit their agenda and masquerading the entire thing as proof to support their cause is so damn tiresome and the C&C board is the last place I thought to find it. My gut reaction was to jump into action throwing facts and entire texts supporting my families personal history and view point to counter the ( to me) offensive allegations put against Christians ....all of this has nothing to do with C&C or even gaming in general and really doesn't have a place on these boards.

As far as the name of the game goes. It's a name derived from the founding of our hobby and a great name indeed! Anyone who would be offended by it and somehow relating it to real life events from hundreds of years ago, probably doesn't have much to offer the gaming community in the first place. Not much of a loss.

Penny-Whistle * You seem to be distressed about the recent election and want to vent and discuss things. I submit to you this isn't the best place for that. Many of your statements come across as backhanded hostility. For someone so concerned with making peace and not causing offence you sure do go out of your way to poke people in the eye. I just think there are better places to get all that out of your system and wish the C&C boards would be used more to promote C&C and stretch your imagination and maybe even improve your game or help someone else improve theirs!

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

All I can do is shake my head.

Ending slavery was a moral crusade. Getting women the right to vote was a crusade. Innumerable very noble and laudable happenings throughout history have come from personal, moral or civic crusades. If you choose to only focus on the negative aspects of a single word and let it form your opinion, you choose to denigrate and deny the positive ones. As a writer, that irks the bejeezus out of me, but I can't really change someone's mind that is that entrenched.

There's definitely a part of me that just sighs in regret that this has become so prevalent in the modern world, that we can put so much point of emphasis and perceived oppression behind the negative perceptions of a word and so little on context and overarching message.
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."