Suprise?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
spacemonkeydm
Henchman

Suprise?

Post by spacemonkeydm »

I apologize if this was asked in the past.
Am i reading the suprise rules right. In the case of a suprise it is a wisdom attribute check? So wis modifer, plus level at a difficulty modified by hit dice?
When i ran this last night it seemed almost impossible not to be suprised? Am i reading this right?
Thanks in advance.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Suprise?

Post by Rigon »

It is a Wis attribute check, which would be 1d20+Wis Mod+level vs the hit die of the surpriser.

That being said, there are a number of things a party can do to get a bonus to the check as well as not even have to check in the first place. If a party is taking the appropriate steps (scouting, moving quietly, being aware of their surroundings, listening, etc), I would not even bother with a surprise roll.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

spacemonkeydm
Henchman

Post by spacemonkeydm »

Thanks. I am happy I was doing it right.
I am used to AD&D and btb you rule suprise all the time. So a habit i got to break.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I rarely roll for surprise.. its normally just roll played.. I only give rolls NOT to be surprised if someone is really in a position to surprise them. My assumption is two random parties roaming along will hear each other or see each other more or less randomly or one who has the advantage of scent and wind, or hearing, or elven eyes.... it all kind of depends.. many times, simple logic should rule, a merchant wagon train guarded by PCs will not surprise a stealthy orc hunting party on the war path, the vigilant PCs may not be totally surprised, but they also may not notice until the Orcs are just 30 yards away.. a predator cat seeking prey will surprise a party of adventurers without a ranger or druid unless the half orc is down wind.... things like that, nothing hard and fast.. you are the CK so if you want to surprise them set it up to likely do that and if, as Rigon notes, they're being careful they should get a chance not to be surprised..

Normally I don't mess with it all the time, just some times, otherwise it gets tedious.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

spacemonkeydm wrote:Thanks. I am happy I was doing it right.
I am used to AD&D and btb you rule suprise all the time. So a habit i got to break.
That was the hardest thing for me, as a CK, to get right. Not every situation demands a roll. The SIEGE Engine works best for things that have a moderate chance of failure. For example: A rogue who has several long minutes to inspect a locked door's lock may not even have to roll to see if he can unlock it. Especially if the lock is a poor one or the rogue is sufficiently high in levels. It really just takes time running the game to get a feel for when a roll will be necessary and when you can hand wave it. After you figure that out, a lot of the stuff, btb, the seems off, will make sense.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

If you don't roll for surprise, then barbarians don't ever get to use their +2 bonus from combat sense.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Aergraith wrote:If you don't roll for surprise, then barbarians don't ever get to use their +2 bonus from combat sense.
Good riddance. Barbarians suck and should discouraged from existing.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Aergraith wrote:If you don't roll for surprise, then barbarians don't ever get to use their +2 bonus from combat sense.
Funny, they had such nice things to say about you.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

When you roll it they get their bonus, they are also more likely to not be surprised when others are.. that's the shining advantage to the barbarian not surprised while fellow team members are.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

bestialwarlust
Mist Elf

Post by bestialwarlust »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Strangely I normally feel the same as barbarian is a culture not a class. In this instance I think that TL got it right for my tastes as a class if I had a player that wanted to play a classed barbarian type.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Buttmonkey wrote:
:lol:

Living up to my sig line, I see.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Am I the only one who found "wild elves" or a barbarian elf, well, wrong?