Great Scimitar, 6th Printing

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Great Scimitar, 6th Printing

Post by alcyone »

:D In 6th printing, the Great Scimitar is no longer a two-handed weapon. Get one in each hand!

Plus, now druids can wield ANY sword.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Great Scimitar, 6th Printing

Post by Rhuvein »

WOOT!!!

Druids are ascending!!!

8-)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'd have to look, but I thought "sword" was listed as a weapon available to druids from the 1st printing and was assumed to mean "any sword."

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Rigon wrote:I'd have to look, but I thought "sword" was listed as a weapon available to druids from the 1st printing and was assumed to mean "any sword."

R-
You are right, but in the 6th printing the scimitars were included in the equipment list under Sword, Scimitar and Sword, Great Scimitar (previously they did not have Sword in the name in the equipment list). So, there could have been confusion since scimitar was listed previously as a different weapon in the allowed weapon list, and Great Scimitar was not listed at all in the Druid weapon list (though one could assume a scimitar meant any scimitar).
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Scimitars are listed as swords in the 6th print equipment list because that is what they are. They just happen to have a curvature to the blade. However, that's beside the point, which is that the Great Scimitar should have an asterisk next to it, as it is a two-handed weapon.

As to what swords a druid can wield, in the 6th print it's broadsword, longsword, rapier, scimitar, and short sword. That leaves out the bastard sword, falchion, flamberge, hook, and two-handed swords. The 9-ring broadsword and the great scimitar I'd leave as a CK judgement call, though in this CK's assessment, I'd allow both. For clarity reasons, in the next printing, great scimitar should be included in the druid weapon list.

Fifth and earlier printings simply listed "sword" and "scimitar", so in those printings a druid could in fact use any sword or any scimitar. Obviously, we fixed that for the sixth print, though as noted we missed the great scimitar.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

How did a Celtic or Gaulish Druid ever get caught up with a scimitar an Egyptian/Arabic weapon? Druids have little armor but can use shields.. so going two handed kind of limits them further.. not sure the 2H version is worth the loss of the shield..
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Right. So I allowed Penny's gnome druid to wield a great scimitar (at full specs) . . Aergraith, did I also allow her to use a shield??

Uh, oh?? LOL!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Captain_K wrote:How did a Celtic or Gaulish Druid ever get caught up with a scimitar an Egyptian/Arabic weapon?
Not sure, but I would guess that it's based on the description as presented in the AD&D PHB: "Druids can be visualized as medieval cousins of what the ancient Celtic sect of Druids would have become had it survived the Roman conquest."

Being that Muslims spread into parts of Europe during the middle ages, it wouldn't be impossible to get your hands on a scimitar.

Scimitars were allowable to druids in AD&D. Hell, in Unearthed Arcana the khopesh was added as a weapon of choice for the druid class. :)

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Rhuvein wrote:Right. So I allowed Penny's gnome druid to wield a great scimitar (at full specs) . . Aergraith, did I also allow her to use a shield??

Uh, oh?? LOL!
Whew, I can breath easy. I allowed her char to wield the great scimitar one handed and she has a shield in the other hand!

"Hell hath no fury like a female gnome druid scorned by a tightwad male CK", said some dumbass gamemaster, somewhere in time.

;)

Rhu, who loves to kick the shit out of the PH and game rules to make C&C work better than the average RPG

8-)

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I'm with you man.. my own players made fun of how much stuff our gnome druid had.. check out "Crusades, 9th hours social diversion society.." somewhere around the first or second page for a hand made sketch... of the shortest gnome allowed in the DMG (the player is 6' 9" in real life) with a wolf spear and a large wooden shield and a Badger "Animal Friend" who is tougher than our best fighter....

If the Druid was to be any "natural" priest.. then Egyptian or Sumerian or any group more closely tied to nature would make sense and their weapons would go with.. so old school religions could use old school weapons of those lands... so strike my comment, I learned something new tonight... thanks guys.

Capt'n
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Rhuvein wrote:Whew, I can breath easy. I allowed her char to wield the great scimitar one handed and she has a shield in the other hand!

"Hell hath no fury like a female gnome druid scorned by a tightwad male CK", said some dumbass gamemaster, somewhere in time.

;)

Rhu, who loves to kick the shit out of the PH and game rules to make C&C work better than the average RPG
:lol: That's what I like about C&C, you can make things as over-the-top or silly as you want and it still works! ;)

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Captain_K wrote: If the Druid was to be any "natural" priest.. then Egyptian or Sumerian or any group more closely tied to nature would make sense and their weapons would go with.. so old school religions could use old school weapons of those lands... so strike my comment, I learned something new tonight... thanks guys.
Makes for interesting possibilities, probably the original reason for adding those weapons back in the day.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Kayolan wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:Whew, I can breath easy. I allowed her char to wield the great scimitar one handed and she has a shield in the other hand!

;)

:lol: That's what I like about C&C, you can make things as over-the-top or silly as you want and it still works! ;)
Well said!!! :geek:

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I think scimitars were included in the Druid's weapon list back in the day as it has a curved blade and is similar to a "reaping" weapon. I think I read that somewhere is the long ago.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Rigon wrote:I think scimitars were included in the Druid's weapon list back in the day as it has a curved blade and is similar to a "reaping" weapon. I think I read that somewhere is the long ago.

R-
That makes sense to me!
Traveller wrote:Scimitars are listed as swords in the 6th print equipment list because that is what they are. They just happen to have a curvature to the blade. However, that's beside the point, which is that the Great Scimitar should have an asterisk next to it, as it is a two-handed weapon.
That makes sense to me, too. Had I noticed it lacking an asterik, I probably would've penciled one in and been done.

All this talk about druids and scimitars...why is Raiders of the Lost Ark popping in my brain all of a sudden?? :D
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Rhuvein wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:Right. So I allowed Penny's gnome druid to wield a great scimitar (at full specs) . . Aergraith, did I also allow her to use a shield??

Uh, oh?? LOL!
Whew, I can breath easy. I allowed her char to wield the great scimitar one handed and she has a shield in the other hand!

;)

8-)
"You'll get my scimitar when you pry it from my cold, dead hands," Thimbleberry growled to the CK.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Penny-Whistle wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:

Uh, oh?? LOL!

;)

8-)
"You'll get my scimitar when you pry it from my cold, dead hands," Thimbleberry growled to the CK.
I need to get you a ring of flying and then have Jaybird paint a picture of your char flying and wielding into battle!! :D

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Now does anyone play the hinted at rule that the metal in the sword must be cold forged metal only? This is not alloy steels, but natural metals beat into form.. not the best and likely brittle... old school baby..

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Cold forged metal was discussed in a thread about the ghast's cold iron vulnerability. See http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 3&#p239213 for details, but in short, no steel or bronze as both require a forge. Most CKs likely don't use the rule as it's more flavor text than anything: there is no penalty for not using a cold forged weapon.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I recall that. I think it was Arduin who noticed that and brought it up.. I was just seeing if anyone else recalled that very interesting conversation.