Sufi mystic cleric ?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Sufi mystic cleric ?

Post by Lurker »

As I mentioned in another thread, I've been listening to lectures on the steppe barbarians, which includes lectures about the Silk Road, and has just additionally lead to lectures about the spread of Islam to the "Turk Barbadians"

*** I'm not aiming at a religious discussion with Islam vs Christianity etc etc etc with this ***

One point the professor made is that very few religions made head way into the Turkish steppe barbarians until the Islamic Sufi Mystics spread along the Silk Road and then from there up into the Turkish steppes (which is not any where near the country of Turkey today). He offered various reasons for this but one I took as key was the Sufis' self focused mystic element including trances and ecstatic (at times drug - hashish - fueled) worship and charismatic individuals. The teaching was less 'study' of the teaching of Islam tied back to the official leaders of Islam back in the holy cities in the caliphate, and more 'home grown' intense internal worship.

The professor pointed to this tying in nicely with the barbarians' shamanistic teaching and style of worship . He inferred that the Sufi easily melded the local superstition with their Islamic teaching and that helped convert the clans of the Turks that came to Islam; but that despite converting, and by being taught by Sufis instead of scholarly fundamental teachers, they were different in their beliefs practices and worship compared to the Islam from Arabia

Now to the meat of the post, ... how could we make a Sufi/ mystic type cleric (ignoring the religious requirements if Islam of course) ???

He is still a holy man, so a wisdom prime would be needed, but what of the self focused personal element ??? Would it require also a charisma Prime ? If so, it is the only spell caster class that has a attribute prime requirement

They were poor, and tended toward ascetic, so their armor list should be limited (assuming like druid off the top of my head). Plus, they spend more time in individual communion with the one they worship, so little training in fighting, so a very limited weapon list (again thinking druid, but that may not be a perfect fit )

However, their rugged ascetic life would require a healthy person, so I assume a d8 HD

For the spell list, of course cleric spells, but the mystic element ... would it draw from mage divination, charm, ... This I'm not sure of (you know me, spell lists/classes are my weakness) ... However, to balance the reduction in arms and armor, they will need an improved and expanded spell list compared to the standard cleric. I don't know would curse type magic fit too, It would as a shaman or witch, (which if the professor is correct could be justified) ...

So, what do you all think ???
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Sufi mystic cleric ?

Post by Treebore »

I would think making CHA important can work if you also have them get a class skill like Oration, specifically for persuading the masses to their given deity, and base it on CHA checks. You could also open the Charm spells to this class. That combo would definitely make them exceptionally effective at recruiting new adherents.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

This is amazingly already possible. Such a character can be made from a mix of the Shaman class in the Codex Slavorum and the Celtic Druid in the soon-to-be-revealed 2nd Edition Codex Celtarum. I had noticed there was a lack of this overall and now, with these Codices covering ancient cultures, I can make it a possibility and reality to game.

Being the Codex Slavorum is now finally in print, you can get halfway there, and with the update on the actual Celtic version of the Druids (not the wild and weird Fantasy versions that derived from the historical and mythical) about to reset the mindset on it all, you can do it and then some! All you have to do is create a character, give it whatever culture and specific religion fits, in your case, a Sufi Mystic, and it is ready to go.

anvil242
Ungern

Post by anvil242 »

My reading of you post makes me think a variation of bard would be better suited. Replace anything musical with oration type stuff, say the spells are all divine in origin and your off.

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

What lectures are you listening to, are these classes or just doing on your own? I've always had an interest in the Eurasian steppe nomads as well, and how their migrations affected the Byzantines.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

maximus wrote:What lectures are you listening to, are these classes or just doing on your own? I've always had an interest in the Eurasian steppe nomads as well, and how their migrations affected the Byzantines.

The Teaching Company's lectures, this one is "The Barbarians of the Steppes" (I think, I may be off on the name a bit). The lectures are a bit bigger in scope than just the impact of the migrations effect on Byzantines, but if you don't have a huge amount of background knowledge they are a good class. I've known some of what was covered regards the western movements, but from central to east into China, I had little knowledge. However, I'm now to the point in the class that the Mongols are becoming a player on the scene so I'm on ground I'm a bit familiar with.

They (TTC's works) are top notch. I've gotten more from them than I did from some of my actual college classes. I own some of them out right - that sounds wrong, I bought some of them from the company is better - and others I've found on sale used, or a few my local library has. If they aren't on sale, or used, they can be spendy just to buy and have. But, if you find them on the cheep, or are willing to pay the sale price for something you are interested in and will listen and relisten to it multiple times, they are worth it.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

It sounds like, with the spell description and armor/fighting restrictions like a mage-monk. I would probably alter the description of their casting to make it more mental, so maybe they don't use as many components... beads and the like, perhaps, but that might be too Buddhist.

Anyway, depending on how restricted they are, for spells, I would likely look at the illusionist class for progression and give them a few minor abilities. Since they get an increased HD, naturally they pay more XP for it.

Or... I would just use an existing class and just say "good enough."

Would help more but need a more defined "this is what they can do" description. I can almost see them more like Jedi.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Tree, good point on the Cha and evangelist oration ... it was in my description, but I didn't even think of it.

CelticG ... Nice, I have to remember we have a resident epert in taking historic/mythos and changing it into a usable historic fantasy setting. With that, I can't wait to see your Druid. I've never been a fan of the current by the book class (when looked at for a historic feeling game)

Also, remembering that you have plans on writing more books spanning the globe , sooooooo when are you getting to the orient & the silk road ;) - Honestly, after listening to the lectures, I don't see how you could do the reality of the silk road/steppe and China covering the 1k ish years of pertinent history ... For China (what I'm getting from the lecture) take Greece, the rise of Alexander, morphing into Rome and it falling, then do that 3 or 4 times and you have China history.

Anvil, that would be a good quick way to do it ... do C&C bards cast spells ???? I can't remember and I haven't played one in years, so I may be mixing 2e & c&c in what I remember

Serl, good point on the mental vs component based spell casting. Rgr on the beads being Buddhist (or Catholic & Orthodox Christianity) I'm not sure what would fit a Sufi ... a shaman would ne bones animal teath and the like, just not sure what would fit Islam (or Hindu for that matter). But, that may be too deep in the weeds for history and not needed for a game

However, when have we around here ever "just use and existing class and say 'good enough'" ... you can't argue and debate with that mind set ! :lol:

C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Love me those lectures, the viking ones are great too.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.