another whacky PHB question

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
capmarvel
Hlobane Orc

another whacky PHB question

Post by capmarvel »

OK...I apologize for this one ahead of time:

I'm a new player say. And I get the PHB. I find that 30 pages of MY book (at least) are not for me as there is a CK section in the back of MY book.

Then in the CK book the first approximately 70 pages are for MY characters.

Was there ever any talk about moving things around so all the player stuff is in one book and vise versa?

Or was the idea that the PHB could be the only book a group needs to get started to avoid making them buy multiple books?

(Actually looking at now doing this myself - splitting the PHB and CK up then merging with the "proper" sections added).

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: another whacky PHB question

Post by Rigon »

The only book needed to play C&C is the PHB. That's why there are the 2 sections. The M&T is nice for monsters and treasures, but any old school monster book would do (with some tweaking). The CKG material is all strictly optional. I don't use the expanded class info for my games as I've made changes to almost all the classes that don't fit with the CKG.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

But I do think there was some talk of including the expanded class info in the PHB at one time.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

As the C&C game expanded, so to did the books. After years of wanting high-level characters, TLG finally put the rules for such things in the CKG because it was up to the CK to decide if high-level characters were warranted in their game. In fact, by the base C&C rules you can keep your characters advancing beyond the 12th level limitation by whatever rules the CK needed at the time. Some players still play by their own set of advancement rules.

As RIG stated, there was some talk last year about merging the high-level and even more expanded class rules of the CKG and Expanded Class Supplement with the PHB, perhaps as an appendix, but that idea may have been scrapped. Not sure.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

capmarvel wrote:OK...I apologize for this one ahead of time:

I'm a new player say. And I get the PHB. I find that 30 pages of MY book (at least) are not for me as there is a CK section in the back of MY book.

Then in the CK book the first approximately 70 pages are for MY characters.

Was there ever any talk about moving things around so all the player stuff is in one book and vise versa?

Or was the idea that the PHB could be the only book a group needs to get started to avoid making them buy multiple books?

(Actually looking at now doing this myself - splitting the PHB and CK up then merging with the "proper" sections added).
What Rigon said, but something else to keep in mind, the CKG is not the DMG of Castles & Crusades. Instead, the CKG is a collection of optional rules that you can insert into your game as you wish. Some are for the players, some are for the CK, but none are required.