Hybrid Classes

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Mark Hall
Hlobane Orc

Hybrid Classes

Post by Mark Hall »

So, I'm not a fan of the class and a half rules; one of the things I like about C&C is its plug n play nature. However, there's a couple of archetypical character types I miss from other games, and those are the hybrid type classes... fighter/thieves, fighter/mages, mage/thieves. Or the 2e style bard, who dabbles a bit in magic in addition to his other abilities.

Does anyone know of good classes for this? Have usable hacks?
I don't have to have everything perfect... just good enough that the seams don't show on the monkey suit. -Me
I like that. Not going to use it because I like mine better, but I do like that idea. -Treebore, summing up most home designers' philosophy

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Hybrid Classes

Post by Rigon »

Look at my House Rules for a 2e style Bard.

For the F/T, F/M, and M/T, you could use a more traditional multi-class system, or come up with original classes.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Take a look at the classes in the Crusaders Companion...

http://www.trolllord.com/downloads/index.html
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Mark, can't you just have Fighter/Mage in a dual-classing role? For example, by following the rules in the newer PHBs, just combine the classes together, double the XP requirement per level (essentially) and voila!

Or, do you not like the dual classing rules either?

If that's the case, perhaps you'll need to invent your own classes which I feel is pretty easy using C&C.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Mark Hall
Hlobane Orc

Post by Mark Hall »

Pretty much, yeah. Basically, what I like about C&C is that it's straightforward. Dual-classing or multiclassing doesn't really do it for me... it winds up being slow to level at low levels, and only marginally different at higher levels. I vastly prefer single classes that cover such archetypes, rather than kludges that don't.
I don't have to have everything perfect... just good enough that the seams don't show on the monkey suit. -Me
I like that. Not going to use it because I like mine better, but I do like that idea. -Treebore, summing up most home designers' philosophy

GatewayTodd
Mist Elf

Post by GatewayTodd »

Have you taken a look at the Expanding Classes supplement? I just downloaded it yesterday and, although I haven't had time to scour over it in great detail, I have seen some pretty interesting options within.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/190 ... ng-Classes

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Check out the Domesdays at the Knights of the Crusade site, there are some in there and shoot me a PM and I'll give you a sneak peek at a Bard that is going into Issue IX.

When you make or find something you like, shoot it my way.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.