View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Racial Classes 
Hlobane Orc

Post Racial Classes
Looking at many OSR and OSR-ish games this past week. Labyrinth Lord, Basic Fantasy, B/X, Swords&Wizardry, etc. One I've always like is Adventurer Conqueror King - one reason being is that it creates custom classes for each race like those below:

dwarven vaultguard
dwarven craftpriest
elven spellsword
elven nightblade
dwarven delver
dwarven fury
dwarven machinist
elven courtier
elven enchanter
elven ranger
gnomish trickster

This got me thinking about race as class. While I dislike "strict" race as class (all Dwarves are "Dwarves"), I do like ACKS approach of "specific racial classes".

In some sense, I don't get Halfling Wizards or Half-Orc Paladins. If every race can be every class, then your race is almost immaterial. I now the PHB has "typical classes" but that's not quite the same thing as saying "you can't be this class".

I'm sure this has been asked before (maybe even by me even) - but for C&C, has anyone done anything similar as ACKS has done with custom classes for races?

And while we're here....at one point the Crusader Companion was being updated - did this this ever get completed and if so can you link me to it? Thanks!

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:19 pm
Ungern

Post Re: Racial Classes
AD&D 2nd edition had racial kits in their "Complete" series. I used to have a gnome "Professor" named Regis Angus Noklew that was fun.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:23 am
Hlobane Orc

Wow....I can't remember a person at work I met 3 days ago and you remember a character name from "eons ago".

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:32 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Next issue of Domesday has all the major races AND two versions of dwarf and elf.. so race as class is on the way..

Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:36 am
Unkbartig

Talislanta also did that sort of thing, matching specific classes with racial archetypes.

I'm generally a fan of opening up all classes to all races these days, though I will always have a soft spot for race-as-class. I used to be all for racial restrictions, but on the whole I think it encourages more creativity than it does power gamer min-maxing.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]