Racial Classes

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
capmarvel
Hlobane Orc

Racial Classes

Post by capmarvel »

Looking at many OSR and OSR-ish games this past week. Labyrinth Lord, Basic Fantasy, B/X, Swords&Wizardry, etc. One I've always like is Adventurer Conqueror King - one reason being is that it creates custom classes for each race like those below:

dwarven vaultguard
dwarven craftpriest
elven spellsword
elven nightblade
dwarven delver
dwarven fury
dwarven machinist
elven courtier
elven enchanter
elven ranger
gnomish trickster

This got me thinking about race as class. While I dislike "strict" race as class (all Dwarves are "Dwarves"), I do like ACKS approach of "specific racial classes".

In some sense, I don't get Halfling Wizards or Half-Orc Paladins. If every race can be every class, then your race is almost immaterial. I now the PHB has "typical classes" but that's not quite the same thing as saying "you can't be this class".

I'm sure this has been asked before (maybe even by me even) - but for C&C, has anyone done anything similar as ACKS has done with custom classes for races?

And while we're here....at one point the Crusader Companion was being updated - did this this ever get completed and if so can you link me to it? Thanks!

anvil242
Ungern

Re: Racial Classes

Post by anvil242 »

AD&D 2nd edition had racial kits in their "Complete" series. I used to have a gnome "Professor" named Regis Angus Noklew that was fun.

capmarvel
Hlobane Orc

Post by capmarvel »

Wow....I can't remember a person at work I met 3 days ago and you remember a character name from "eons ago".

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Next issue of Domesday has all the major races AND two versions of dwarf and elf.. so race as class is on the way..
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Talislanta also did that sort of thing, matching specific classes with racial archetypes.

I'm generally a fan of opening up all classes to all races these days, though I will always have a soft spot for race-as-class. I used to be all for racial restrictions, but on the whole I think it encourages more creativity than it does power gamer min-maxing.