The Librarian it's not...

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

The Librarian it's not...

Post by Go0gleplex »

deleted
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: The Librarian it's not...

Post by Treebore »

I think this would also be a good fit for Amazing Adventures.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Nice

I've kicked around ideas for a class - manuscript / book hunter - that may play well with him.

I like your mix of class abilities, a little rogue, a little mage & a little fighter.

I don't know how well it fitsin a standard D&D setting (at least in a lower magic setting like I tend to default to) but in a more modern setting ( like Tree mentions A A ) or a high magic setting I think it would be a good class to give a try.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I was playing around with concepts of a solo capable class and a series of solo dungeons...and then got polluted by thoughts of Indiana Jones, Lara Croft, and The Librarian...

This is a decent all around type good for solid support, capable of short term stop-gap measures in emergencies. Like the Druid, it can fight but not tank and still have the Inigo Montoya panache. First Aid allows for that little bit of healing that could be crucial to survival or getting the actual healer mobile...without being the healer. It has knowledge of things lost and able to do that bit of larceny necessary to get at them without really being as capable as an actual rogue...and yet...is capable of doing just that little bit more with wards and curses in regards to runic style magics. It can even do a little bit of other magic that if chosen well and utilized intelligently can give them table turning advantage in a real fight. (Though I am thinking of adding a bit more to this with 2nd level spells at 11th level. Still undecided as yet) All without actually supplanting the core classes.

That was my thinking at any rate. As anyone that has followed my other class creations knows, I try to avoid creating 'a wizard/fighter/etc. by any other name' type classes with their own flavor and niche...and still be playable and useful.

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

This is interesting. I like it.

I am not sure it needs spells (but then i am a low-magic kind of person). Another ability you could consider is Decipher Script. That would seem useful when delving into ancient temples / tombs.

-Fizz

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Fizz wrote:This is interesting. I like it.

Another ability you could consider is Decipher Script. That would seem useful when delving into ancient temples / tombs.

-Fizz
Good point. I may do that.

The spells...well...it is only 4 first level spells by 12th level plus the three healing spells. Not a great deal. The thinking here was like many of the big screen/ pulp series type researchers where they managed to learn a little bit of the greater lore on their own and all that. I could have used something along the lines of Rune spells too though not everyone has the reference material for that and I did not feel a need to recreate the wheel per se. :)

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

The spells...well...it is only 4 first level spells by 12th level plus the three healing spells. Not a great deal. The thinking here was like many of the big screen/ pulp series type researchers where they managed to learn a little bit of the greater lore on their own and all that.
Fair enough. I should have clarified that for the kinds of games i run myself, where magic is really not normal, i would leave it off. But your reasoning makes perfect sense for a more standard setting.

-Fizz

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Fizz wrote:
The spells...well...it is only 4 first level spells by 12th level plus the three healing spells. Not a great deal. The thinking here was like many of the big screen/ pulp series type researchers where they managed to learn a little bit of the greater lore on their own and all that.
Fair enough. I should have clarified that for the kinds of games i run myself, where magic is really not normal, i would leave it off. But your reasoning makes perfect sense for a more standard setting.

-Fizz
No worries with that. Could also substitute Divine prayers (spells) for the Arcane as well if wanted which would make just as much sense in how I rationalized things. :)

Updated the class per suggestion and with what I was thinking.