View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
low fantasy setting 
Hlobane Orc

Post low fantasy setting
Reading Dragon Warriors (was free this week on RPGNow) - enjoying it and it's low fantasy setting. In fact it's perhaps "too low fantasy".

Is there a good/great "low fantasy" setting you'd recommend for C&C?

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:46 am
Mist Elf

Post Re: low fantasy setting
Depends on how low fantasy there's

Harnworld
Dark Albion

Are two that come to mind.

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:43 pm
Lore Drake

I have always preferred low fantasy games myself. By that, i usually mean low magic: where magic is not normal and requires some special justification.

My own setting prefererence is Birthright. Magic is certainly known, but availability is much more rarel. Only the elves and scions (those with a shared heritage to the old gods) can cast true wizard magic. So being able to cast powerful magic is genuinely special thing.

Another candidate is Midnight, which is post-apocalyptic fantasy. The main gods are cut off from the world, the evil god Izrador is sucking away the magic of the world. The magic system is very different, and significantly limits the number of spells a spellcaster can use. To compensate, the setting includes rules for helpers, like herbalism. It was written for 3E (and a 3.5E version), so should convert to C&C fairly easily.

Has anyone done a setting for Song of Ice & Fire setting other than Green Ronin? That would qualify i think, though Green Ronin's system is very different from C&C or D&D, so not an easy conversion mechanically.

-Fizz

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:18 pm
Hlobane Orc

Mentioned "Dark Albion" to friend just now...he went on minor tirade on RPGPundit. Stupid me didn't even know who Mr. Pundit was. :)

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:04 pm
Mogrl

Pendragon.

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:21 pm
Mist Elf

capmarvel wrote:
Mentioned "Dark Albion" to friend just now...he went on minor tirade on RPGPundit. Stupid me didn't even know who Mr. Pundit was. :)

Does it matter if the product is good? I no little to nothing about the author but the setting seems decent.

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:35 pm
Hlobane Orc

bestialwarlust wrote:
Does it matter if the product is good? I no little to nothing about the author but the setting seems decent.

I don't know if it matters - as I said, I don't even know who he or she is. Unless they are a pedophile I'll probably give them a pass.

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:02 pm
Battle Stag

Dark Albion is definitely a low-ish fantasy setting I'd love to run.
I particularly like the low-fantasy parts of Birthright ~ sure, there can be many higher-magic type elements, but I really find the low-magic aspects well grounded in a nice vanilla campaign setting. I personally don't worry about the high-magic parts of Birthright at all.

~O

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Mogrl

Yeah, the author of Dark Albion is a bit of a crap bag, but his material is good.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]