How about running away/chasing?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
KeyIXTheHermit
Hlobane Orc

How about running away/chasing?

Post by KeyIXTheHermit »

I don't recall seeing this elsewhere, although I may be overlooking it.

Anyone got a good set of simple rules to allow for running away from a battle and/or chasing or being chased?

It's easy to get into a fight, but not so easy (for me, anyway) to adjudicate escaping from enemies when the PC's are getting overwhelmed.

In a perfect world it would take movement into account, but not require maps and stuff. Obviously, a monster moving 60'/round can capture anything moving 30'/round or slower, so there needs to be other factors at play besides just speed.

At the same time, I don't want to bog the players down with an entire "run subroutine" every time the players get overwhelmed. If running away is too difficult (or fails too often), they'll eventually just not bother, and (I feel) the game will suffer for it.

So, what are some ways you handle running away/chases? Thanks!

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Re: How about running away/chasing?

Post by Buttmonkey »

You could just do a SIEGE check. I'd probably base it on constitution. Challenge level for escaping equals the monsters' hit dice as per a typical SIEGE check. If the monster has a slower movement rate than the PCs, assume the PCs automatically get away. If the monsters' movement rate is greater than the PCs, assume the monsters automatically catch the PCs. Where there is a speed differential, but other factors suggest a different result (e.g., the monster is faster at straight-line movement and the PC is going to weave through the trees of a forest), then revert back to a SIEGE check with challenge level equal to the monsters' hit dice (and tweak it from there if you feel doing so would be appropriate).

A similar Constitution check can be used for the PCs chasing an opponent.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

BM has the gist of things. SIEGE check with modifiers for breaking contact but then other things need to be considered by the CK on the modifiers...and if the PCs really HAVE broken contact and not just been given a false sense of security.

factors to consider: suitability of ground/terrain to the movement types of the pursued and pursuer; lighting; relative speed of each; and hunting tactics of the pursuer.
An amphibian will likely make better speed over mud and water than a horse, a flier will make even better speed though if in a forest this might not be a good thing due to obstructions. Most birds do not see well at night or the darkness could be hiding tripping hazards like deep holes or roots. You mentioned the relative speed bit, though this can be modified based on burdens and clothing in addition to the terrain. Hunting tactics might involve a pursuit type like the cheetah going all out to catch their prey directly while an ambush hunter/tracker may let the prey run and tire themselves out thinking they are away from danger and the pursuer has actually caught up and is waiting to ambush them when their guard is down.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Go0gle has a lot of good ideas in there. Keep in mind as the CK you are free to set the granularity that works best for you. You can look at all sorts of factors to give a very nuanced SIEGE check or you can just wing it by setting the CL level at hit dice and ignoring all of the granularity. Do whatever works best for you in the moment.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Spade Marlowe
Ungern

Post by Spade Marlowe »

An example for a Siege Engine constitution check is given in the PHB (pg 166 for the 6th & 7th printing) that covers something similar to this. Their example is for a Ranger running away from a band of orcs, and the check is if he can he keep running without having to stop and rest.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

IN OD&D is was spelled out in vol 3 (page 12)... Here is a quote from a clone of OD&D rules (Delving Deeper v4 book 2 page 13)

The players have the option to flee unchallenged whenever monsters are surprised or are more than 3" (30ft in the underworld) distant. Monsters will pursue unless they are surprised or have a proper motivation not to.
Flight and pursuit speed is four times normal pace with no mapping possible. The gap will open or close according to the movement rates of the two parties, and pur- suit will continue for so long as the pursuers do not fall more than a full move be- hind (more than 90ft behind for pursuers with a movement rate of 9"). The players may wish to discard treasure or equipment in order to lighten their encumbrance and increase their speed. Should the players turn a corner, take a stair, or pass through a door the pursuers will continue only if a throw of a six-sided die is 5-6.
Discarded foodstuffs will distract unintelligent pursuers with a throw of 2-6 on a six-sided die, and animal or intelligent pursuers with a throw of 4-6 or 6, respec- tively. Treasure is inversely likely to distract pursuers and burning oil is also an effective deterrent.
Perhaps that help with something you can turn into siege ready.

PS - If it outdoor there is a another set of rules..
Evasion and Pursuit
A smaller group may desire to evade a larger group rather than encounter them. Hostile monsters (including previously offended stronghold residents) will pursue with a throw of 4-6 on a six-sided die, while non-hostiles will pursue only with a throw of 6.
The possibility of evading an encounter is determined by the relative size of the parties. If the evaders are not more than one-quarter as numerous as the pursuers they will evade with a throw of 3-6 on a six-sided die. If they are no more than half as numerous as the pursuers they will evade with a throw of 4-6; otherwise they will evade only with a throw of 5-6.
The odds of evasion are adjusted as follows:
Continues on see page 27.. (Or OD&D vol 3 page 19-20)

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Any one with more than 5' of movement rate should win.. if they know where they're going. Dropping off weight and crap helps too. Warriors in full gear with weapons do not catch orcs who drop their gear to flee for their lives. I always assume "everything wants to live". Thus once the going gets tough, they all want to get going." Folks rarely kill everything and less so with smart things or old things. Never had anyone kill a dragon, they always get away. Demons/devils/gods. no chance.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

KeyIXTheHermit
Hlobane Orc

Post by KeyIXTheHermit »

Captain_K wrote:Any one with more than 5' of movement rate should win.. if they know where they're going. Dropping off weight and crap helps too. Warriors in full gear with weapons do not catch orcs who drop their gear to flee for their lives. I always assume "everything wants to live". Thus once the going gets tough, they all want to get going." Folks rarely kill everything and less so with smart things or old things. Never had anyone kill a dragon, they always get away. Demons/devils/gods. no chance.
I'm not sure my players would go for that, Captain! :lol:

After playing a whole adventure, that final conquest is part of the fun. If I snatched the final victory away from them every time they came up against a powerful foe, I don't think I'd have players much longer!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I use a slightly different method as I do not think the SIEGE Engine is a good fit for pursuit, as it is not for some other things as well.

Each party involved draws a card from a standard poker deck, Jokers removed.

If the colors do not match, no change. Whoever is ahead stays there.
If the suits match, whichever drew the higher card (Ace is considered highest), gets ahead.
If the same card value is drawn (for example, two groups pull an 8), I roll on a table for special events such as an obstacle or crowd, but may decide based on prevailing circumstances.

I don't usually bother with same color, but different suit (i.e., Hearts and Diamonds drawn) but this can matter if there are multiple groups in the chase.