Empyrea for C&C

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
serleran
Mogrl

Re: Empyrea for C&C

Post by serleran »

I would like to see the full version. I have little snippets from the old AOL days and a few other things Frank made since but the whole world could be cool.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Treebore wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:
spudeus wrote:I believe a signed Darlene map is one of the add-ons and (if the KS is successful) I'm definitely going for that! Will look nice next to the original Greyhawk and Haunted Highlands maps of hers, framed on my wall. 8-)
Wait, what?

Darlene did a HH map?

I thought Bradley did that map . . or did Darlene come along later?

??

Darlene did the HH map as part of the HH kickstarter. They then sold the extra's on the TLG website.
Thanks, I've got to get one!
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Relaunch is Monday.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

capmarvel
Hlobane Orc

Post by capmarvel »

19 members in a gaming group I'm in ...and zero of them will get this.

Many of the gang are into more "narrative" type games - though there is no one game we all like. The 2 closest to that are Shadow of the Demon Lord and Marvel Heroic. Numenara/Strange liked by 2-3 of them, but they never seem to play it.

So many games out there, difficult for any one to gain traction.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

I've zero interest in this particular KS project.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Like I said earlier, the main reason I am even interested is because the 3 map makers I mentioned before make maps I love. I just figure that I will do what I do with most materails I buy, steal bits and pieces of it I like, or if I like most of it, use what I like, and throw the rest out. Did it with every setting I have ever bothered to use, from Greyhawk to Faerun to the Wilderlands to Aihrde, and any other setting, or adventure, I have ever used for any RPG. Maps I can always use, repurpose, so the more I like them, the more likely I am to buy into it.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

capmarvel
Hlobane Orc

Post by capmarvel »

Treebore that's a good point...a good map is often all you need to spark imagination and get the game going.

That reminds me of this article I saw the other day:
https://www.tor.com/2017/10/10/tolkiens ... mpaign=tor

spudeus
Ungern

Post by spudeus »

As backers know by now, it appears the plug has been completely pulled on this KS and it won't be re-booted. Mr. Mentzer sent a personal note that seems to re-affirm his commitment to publishing Empyrea, but his decision is that kickstarter is not the right venue (I suppose we could post his update if people are curious).

I admit, a pretty anti-climactic let-down!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Bah!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

capmarvel
Hlobane Orc

Post by capmarvel »

spudeus wrote:As backers know by now, it appears the plug has been completely pulled on this KS and it won't be re-booted. Mr. Mentzer sent a personal note that seems to re-affirm his commitment to publishing Empyrea, but his decision is that kickstarter is not the right venue (I suppose we could post his update if people are curious).

I admit, a pretty anti-climactic let-down!

Yeah...then Frank gets blasted for sexual harassment etc. Then more came out about him threatening to sue people over Empyrea posts they made etc.

Lorraine Williams may not be the evil queen she was portrayed to be after all. :D :D :D :D

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Any behavior Frank may or may not have done doesn't blank out his contributions to our hobby. I honestly haven't followed the DF/EM/whatever events, but I will still keep my appreciation for Frank Mentzer's work in the RPG industry in the past.

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Well, I have read all of it on every forum and Frank did kind of threaten someone at Dragon's Foot and dared them to ban him. So they did. The sexual harassment thing was kind of bated but he did not know when to drop it. His opening lines were in fact creepy flirtations. It just went downhill for there. He also made some serious threats there as well. He also cancelled his games at GameHole Con next week, and did so with a facebook post rather than something a bit more professional. All things out of character for Frank. I hold tickets for one of the cancelled games. Does that endear me to him....no. Frank is a great guy with a lot of history but his recent history is not helping him at all.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

If I judged my game purchases on the person that wrote/created the games, I would own a lot less RPG material.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Yeah so, I am not judging future purchases based this. I will not throw out my ToEE book. I am however, judging whether or not to trust the man at his word when buying tickets to an event he is running. The man, whom I respect and admire, just committed a full-frontal self-imploding melt-down on the internet for all to watch, that cost him his kick-starter (possibly the chance at publishing his setting) alienated some number of people on a forum over system all of whom are old-school gorgnards (his kind of people), and disappointed about 40 gamers who are fan-boys/girls who wanted to sit at a table with him while he ran a game. Umm....confused. WTF??

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Treebore wrote:If I judged my game purchases on the person that wrote/created the games, I would own a lot less RPG material.
Yup, I like Metallica music (only until the Black Album) but I've certainly not condoned them as people. :)

I'm not apologizing for anything Frank M. currently has done, I'm just saying let's not let current issues blind us to his past contributions to the hobby.

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

spudeus
Ungern

Post by spudeus »

The fact that Mentzer used his (imagined) weight in the industry to threaten to blackball people is pretty disturbing. I'm tempted to think this is some form of dementia or other condition since it seems out of character.

Also, if Tenkar is to be believed (and I do), lawyers are now involved in an attempt to preserve his public persona/dignity. Sheesh.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

spudeus wrote:The fact that Mentzer used his (imagined) weight in the industry to threaten to blackball people is pretty disturbing. I'm tempted to think this is some form of dementia or other condition since it seems out of character.

Also, if Tenkar is to be believed (and I do), lawyers are now involved in an attempt to preserve his public persona/dignity. Sheesh.
That could be why he cancelled. Maybe the lawyer/s told him to lay low awhile. Good advice.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Wow! This quite shocking for me.

Having met, hung out and gamed with a great many of the TSR gang ~ Frank was one of the nicest, friendliest and all around pleasant persons from that group.

I can only conclude that something must have happened behind the scenes.

I haven't been to DF in many years, since that place went down the toilet.

I know that Frank was quite disrespected there some years ago and he and many of us left that place - never to return. So I'm surprised to hear that there some issues at DF.

Bummer for all. :|

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I was curious as to why he even went back to DF after the last time. His current behavior definitely seems out of sync with his past behaviors at Conventions. Maybe he is on meds that are altering his mental state?

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Well, Frank did go back to DF to showcase the publishing for Empyreaj - only to be trolled by some of the same "assholes" over there. And unfortunately, the admins have continued to allow them to continue their behavior instead of cracking down on it.

It's a shame.

As for the other issue, here is what Frank posted on FB:

"Ms. Jessica Price has posted about me on Twitter, and I am unjustly accused.

She mentions Broken Stairs, an issue I highlighted back in April (link below).

She claims that I have blamed victims and said they were 'sick'. I did not say or imply any such things. This is false.
She claims I made further statements about her and threatened her job. These accusations are also false.

Those who have known me for years know that these claims are false.
I support equality, and oppose misogyny and other gender discrimination.
I support greater awareness of social problems, especially white male dominance.

These issues should never be obsured or dismissed. However, this is not the time or place.
I ask that you not post here, but instead take part in the important ongoing discussions on these topics.
Thank you."

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

I'm not familiar with this website, but the opinions expressed might be of interest:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction ... h=df11b6df

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rhuvein wrote:I'm not familiar with this website, but the opinions expressed might be of interest:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction ... h=df11b6df

Reads to me like the typical drama that I ignore.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

What gets me is that the part Jessica Price is most bent up about, is the part no one seems to be able to show a screen shot of. On the other hand, Frank said some pretty straight up crap stuff at DF. Yes, that group is side-ways but he did not have to sink to their level himself. Miss Price is also dragging crap from 2015. So it just became offensive in 2017?

The cancellation of a game I have been hoping for and planning on with him at Gamehole, is what has my panties in a bunch.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Snoring Rock wrote:What gets me is that the part Jessica Price is most bent up about, is the part no one seems to be able to show a screen shot of. On the other hand, Frank said some pretty straight up crap stuff at DF. Yes, that group is side-ways but he did not have to sink to their level himself. Miss Price is also dragging crap from 2015. So it just became offensive in 2017?

The cancellation of a game I have been hoping for and planning on with him at Gamehole, is what has my panties in a bunch.
I can only hope he cancelled for good reasons, not to avoid any possible public back lash from the drama. Every time I have had games cancelled on me or I have not shown up to run games at a Con its been for good reason.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

On the subject of settings....I had no interest. I have GH, Aihrde, Wilderlands, Thule, FR, and my own home brew....

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

You've probably all read by now that it's back...

http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2017/11/em ... mment-form
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I read it. Last I heard two of the cartographers that had me excited about this are now no longer part of it, so now I'm not very interested in it.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

I for one, intend to support and fund the kick. Looking forward to it.

:)

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

There will be no KS. Frank funded it the old-fashioned way. Not sure how he picked up $250K in 30 days. The theory now is that he scaled it back. Odd thing is, he announced this on a forum instead of on his KS site. It seems fishy to some, and fishy to me.

The sexual harassment epidemic is spreading. Bill Webb of FGG is involved now. An altercation at Paizo Con then NTRPG con did not ban him so there is now a call to other cons to ban him as a sex offender. Not sure Frank did anything except have an opinion on something. SJWs demand you take their world view as your own. The stuff on Bill looks bad however.

There are always two sides to everything. I hate that innocent people get accused and are then considered guilty by reason of race and/or gender. When that happens (false accusations or exaggerated), it diminishes the seriousness of the offense against the victim. I really hate that anything like this happens at game conventions...if it is true.

All of that aside, another setting does not interest me personally. Riding on the back of Greyhawk as if it were officially part of that world, some 38 years after the fact, is kind of lame to me. Maybe that is a strong statement, but really? 38 years? I do however wish Frank luck in his endeavor. Another setting that is vibrant and new is not a bad thing.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I might pick it up at some point. I do love reading settings.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007