RPG Tournament

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

RPG Tournament

Post by Captain_K »

Folks, I need your help, I need to figure out how to run a RPG tournament, or contest, or some such.

Multiple groups run by multiple GMs at different times or side by side. We need a way to score or rank those player teams to nominally select winning teams.

The real winners are all the players, there will be prizes and give aways in every game and secret prizes as play uncovers things or reaches goals. Ideally, everyone gets a prize, it will just be down to the order of the picking of the prizes from the "Treasure Chest".

So I need ideas on how to do this, history of such things, ideas on how to score or rank groups, and finally, what publish CnC module would be most fitting with pregens.

Help would be most welcome, shooting to apply in March in Cleveland at a local CON.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Fizz
Lore Drake

Re: RPG Tournament

Post by Fizz »

So, is every group going to playing the same adventure? If so...

Each group could be given points based on how far they get through the story. If they reach X, they get 5 points, if they get past X to Y, then they get 7 points, etc. In addition, you could have sub-points for each clue they hit. So, maybe they get to Y, but they missed finding clue/item A, so -1 point.

For individuals, you can give points based on roleplaying. If Paul Paladin doesn't behave righteously, then no points for him. You can also provide opportunities for them to show off their skills. If Raul Ranger doesn't try to track in an obvious situation, then no points for him. Conversely, if a character finds unexpected / clever ways to contribute, then he gets bonus points.

So you just need a list of checkpoints for each GM to monitor as each group goes through the adventure.

-Fizz

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I was going with the KISS system and letting PC keep score too.
1) how many total hp left in the party at the end
2) How much treasure or X of Y key items found.

that kind of thing, but yes, all groups through same adventure.

This is like who's line is it anyway, lots of points, but in the end, winner or looser, we're after fun and exposure to CnC.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Are you looking for team, individual, or both for scoring options? As individuals, if you have a HP rule, it must be balanced such that those classes with less HP are not immediately penalized, and it must be set in such a way that healing is not paused until scoring occurs.

That's, perhaps, not an easy task.

But, really, you should get a copy of the RPGA Tournament rules, the Handbook I believe it was called. From the 80s'-90s. The new one might be worth looking at as well.

Generally, though, every module specifically designed for tournament play had its own scoring simply because every adventure and its "requirements" are different. For example, if you have a search and rescue module, not finding the Mayor or killing the innocents could be a -20 whereas in a loot and plunder module every secret door found could be worth +2 (to a max of +6 or whatever.)

Some overall basic scoring rules might be OK... but it tends to work better per adventure, especially if everyone is going to play the same game.

Things I would avoid:

1) Awarding points for gold/treasure (especially random -- it may be OK for specific conditions)
2) Awarding points for survivor HP (surviving is another matter, such as Lost Tamoachan)
3) Anything that allows the Castle Keeper to decide a point value -- everything should be set in stone; the players either did it or not
4) Letting players track their own scores

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Great input, never done this before. Thanks. How does one find this handbook? Who published it?

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Captain_K wrote:Great input, never done this before. Thanks. How does one find this handbook? Who published it?
The RPGA Tournament Rules? RPGA (which was a branch of TSR / WotC).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Offic ... t_Handbook

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Which currently in print TLG module would be the best one to use? Ideally one with a part II incase we go beyond the norm into round two?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Several existing modules can be used, including pretty much all of them. Some structure to scoring may be needed, but if I were to start with some, it would likely be A Lion in the Ropes, Assault on Blacktooth Ridge, Shadows of Halfling Hall and Fingers of the Forsaken Hand. Newer ones are likely just as good but I cannot provide any honest opinion on things I have not read without being a mule... and I am so totes working on that.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Thank you, so start at A Lion in the Ropes? I think I just need two in a row. My only fear is someone shows up to play who has played them... but likely these folks are new.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Start with any of them you want. I merely pointed out some I think could make good tournament modules. Prior experience doesn't equate a better result. That depends on how the scoring is done, the results of dice, and so forth. "Completion" is not always a goal...

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Are they a series of adventures designed to move from one to the next? Meaning if I'm going to buy two, I want to buy the correct two.

Thanks, Kirk

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

There aren't many "series" of modules for C&C....

If that's what you want, then I would suggest the C&C A-series. They contain a variety of "stuff."

Tournaments do not have to remain cohesive within themselves; 2nd rounds merely get more complex and difficult. If you want them to continue a theme/plot, that's another matter but it is not required.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I'm trying to run two or more groups into level A and then invite those that want more/did well to join for level B. Might get big at level B but it could be fun.

Thanks all for the input!