Page 1 of 1

Half Orc Barbarians bonus

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:32 pm
by Mordekai82
Half Orcs really are my cup of tea. No half orc as a playable race is a deal breaker for me and C&C got it right. Love the way C&C did the barbarian too, not just one-dimensional berserker but a Conan style übermensch with some ranger-like abilities.

When it comes to combine both, I give the Half Orc Barbarian a special bonus. As the half orcs has enhanced sense of smell as a racial trait, that one gives him a +2 on his surprise roll (which stacks to the Combat Sense +2 bonus of the Barbarian class). ¿Why? Because my good old half orc Barbarian not only spider-senses nearby enemies, he smells them too!! Good luck trying to backstab him! (if you prime Wisdom, that's a sick combination).

¿What do you think? ¿Is that cool?

M.

Re: Half Orc Barbarians bonus

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:07 pm
by serleran
I don't know what "cool" is, but it seems to be fitting and intended.

Re: Half Orc Barbarians bonus

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:32 pm
by Mordekai82
Cool as in "according to the spirit of the system". You don't need to be rude about some word I use man, I'm new and not a natural english speaker.

Re: Half Orc Barbarians bonus

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:19 pm
by Go0gleplex
Mord, Serl was not being rude. His statement seems to simply say cool is subjective. Serl is a good guy despite how he sounds sometimes.

Re: Half Orc Barbarians bonus

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:59 pm
by Mordekai82
Oh ok, so thanks then.

"Cool" sounds a little like "what's up dog, just chillin' with my homies..." :D

Re: Half Orc Barbarians bonus

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:00 pm
by serleran
Mordekai82 wrote:Cool as in "according to the spirit of the system". You don't need to be rude about some word I use man, I'm new and not a natural english speaker.

OK...

Or I could mean "I don't know what cool is" because I am very much not cool...

Welcome to the forums.

Re: Half Orc Barbarians bonus

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:02 pm
by Mordekai82
Same here!!! The Uncoolest One would be my godly title. My regards!

Re: Half Orc Barbarians bonus

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:47 pm
by Fizz
Interesting idea. It opens the door nicely to a preferred class for each race. Do you have other combinations as well? A halfling-rogue bonus, or a gnome-illusionist bonus?

-Fizz

Re: Half Orc Barbarians bonus

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:12 pm
by Mordekai82
So that's how the shadow of powerplaying starts to grow... By little bits of reasonable rule bending!!! Next thing you know, you're playing Pathfinder homebrew with a lvl 74 dragon-halfing ninja warlock mounted on a demon pegasus! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Not yet man, I gave most of my thoughts to half orc barbarians because that's my PC. I'll keep you posted if something else comes to my mind!

Kind regards.

M.

Re: Half Orc Barbarians bonus

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:11 pm
by serleran
Racial profiling!

Actually, I'm pretty sure the PHB has or had racial adjustments to certain class abilities, to encourage use of archetypes.

Re: Half Orc Barbarians bonus

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:22 pm
by Mordekai82
Indeed it does, Half Orc has ranger bonuses, Halfling has Assassin, Ranger and Rogue bonuses and so... Fully legit.

M.

Re: Half Orc Barbarians bonus

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:21 pm
by Captain_K
Please download the latest Domesday Issue IX.. read the racial classes and PLEASE write up the half orc and orc racial class!

Re: Half Orc Barbarians bonus

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:25 pm
by Mordekai82
Captain_K wrote:Please download the latest Domesday Issue IX.. read the racial classes and PLEASE write up the half orc and orc racial class!
I guess I don't know what Domesday is and where can I find the IX issue, if you can enlight me please?

Re: Half Orc Barbarians bonus

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:41 pm
by Go0gleplex
Mordekai82 wrote:
Captain_K wrote:Please download the latest Domesday Issue IX.. read the racial classes and PLEASE write up the half orc and orc racial class!
I guess I don't know what Domesday is and where can I find the IX issue, if you can enlight me please?
On the C&C Society downloads site I mentioned to you M. :) It is the official fanzine/newsletter of the C&C Society.

Re: Half Orc Barbarians bonus

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:44 pm
by Mordekai82
My bad! I'll be joining the society right away!!! (Anyway, I found the domesday IX in this same forum and I'm checkin the racial classes section!).

Re: Half Orc Barbarians bonus

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:31 pm
by dachda
I agree. I'd allow the stacking of the +2 for 1/2 orc smell and +2 for barbarian combat sense. Makes sense and fits the class/race. I'm also a big fan of the C&C barbarian and 1/2 orc. I've always hated the berserker nonsense of the mainstream barbarian. For one thing historically there is debate about whether berserkers even existed and if they did they are limited to a small group of Norse warriors. So if I'm playing a barbarian from a non-viking/Norse type culture, why would I be able to berserk? Always seemed dumb to me. And 1/2 Orcs having that sense of smell just fits the Tolkien style orc that D&D perpetuates. At least that's my two cents worth.

Mordekai82 wrote:Half Orcs really are my cup of tea. No half orc as a playable race is a deal breaker for me and C&C got it right. Love the way C&C did the barbarian too, not just one-dimensional berserker but a Conan style übermensch with some ranger-like abilities.

When it comes to combine both, I give the Half Orc Barbarian a special bonus. As the half orcs has enhanced sense of smell as a racial trait, that one gives him a +2 on his surprise roll (which stacks to the Combat Sense +2 bonus of the Barbarian class). ¿Why? Because my good old half orc Barbarian not only spider-senses nearby enemies, he smells them too!! Good luck trying to backstab him! (if you prime Wisdom, that's a sick combination).

¿What do you think? ¿Is that cool?

M.