Hex Crawls and Vision/Visability

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Hex Crawls and Vision/Visability

Post by T1Hound »

I'm researching:
1) hex crawls / wilderness exploration and travel
2) vision and visibility (Wilderness Survival Guide)

Any ideas on materials to review? I am currently using the Wilderness Survival Guide for the visibility rules.

I'm looking at ideas / materials for running a hex crawl. My general interpretation is it's a dungeon but outside and the terrain and weather play a large part on encounters, movement, etc. but what could I be missing and where should I possibly look.

Any advice on how you run a hex crawl?

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Re: Hex Crawls and Vision/Visability

Post by T1Hound »

Actually the CKG has good information on Vision and Distance on 309 (6th printing) however was distracted looking for the index by artwork on 352. Focus Pinky - Focus!

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I use the 6 mile hex, which has the property (in an Earth-sized world) of having your visibility typically extend no further than the edges of the hex if you are standing in the center. Googling "6 mile hex crawl" will almost certainly yield everything you ever wanted to know about hex crawls, but if you haven't read these blogs, start here:

http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/173 ... s/hexcrawl

http://hillcantons.blogspot.com/ good discussion on sandboxes in general and "pointcrawls"
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Well....I cannot resist. I can tell you are a Wilderlands fan. For Hex Crawls, I like to set at random or by design, the hexes with real interest ahead of time. Then sprinkle a few in that have clues or lead to the ones with true interest. Then fewer still of those with just random stuff. Then I let it grow organically during play. I like the 5-6 mile hex as well.