NPCs Needed

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

NPCs Needed

Post by Captain_K »

NPC for their own sake and NPCs suitable to be player characters are needed at the Knights of Crusade (KoC) site. Please use the fill-able pdf format also available at the KoC site. Currently there is a limited number of NPCs off only level 3, 5, 7, & 9.

It sure would be nice to have every level filled with enough NPC/PC to make at least two unique groups of 8 PCs. Better still every level, every class, dare I say it, every race. Assuming up to 12th level only, that is 12 x 13 x 7 = 1092 NPCs needed. Divide that up between all the "field knights" (not officers or commanders) by my quick count there are 48 of us.. so only 23 NPCs per Knight. Take a year to do it, that's just two a month. Plus there are already some there. This seems daunting, but its really manageable.

I plan to have my group of players write up their PCs in detail in these forms. My group currently have three PC each. I get my team to do this, bam, 20 PC ready to go and I personal only do my two.

How many knights are up to the challenge?

Future Knights, this is a great way to earn your golden spurs!
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Re: NPCs Needed

Post by alcyone »

Since this is C&C, there aren't really any choices to make when leveling, and there is no official way to generate high level characters or give them loot. No one gets stat bonuses except through magic items. The only thing that really changes are spellbooks and equipment. After 3rd level or so, everyone probably has all of the standard equipment they need.

I'd suggest we get some guidelines together for generating high level magic items so these are consistent.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

If you absolutely must have a system in place, I recommend 30-50% of the character's current xp max. in magic items...since most games I have ever played where Pre-Gen PCs and NPCs were used, the GM modified what the characters had before start of play to better fit their game-verse. It's not like this is rocket science.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Maybe it's been too long of a day and i'm brain-dead from my exam today, but i can't find the fillable pdf. Where is it?

-Fizz

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Its on the Knights of the Crusade web site under Downloads, just after the Domesday Books.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Great points, that does make it nice, so for me focusing on each race and each class is likely better than every level.. might explain the odd level stuff. But to me its having the details of language, history, name, unique items, that kind of fun stuff that each player or CK brings to the NPC or PC.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Oh and as for items, its easier to "delete than add" so I would have many items that are "unique" and they can quickly be devalued or deleted.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Captain_K wrote:Oh and as for items, its easier to "delete than add" so I would have many items that are "unique" and they can quickly be devalued or deleted.
Now you are speaking my language !

Back in the day when I DMed almost all items I gave out were unique - in at least some fashion ... I'll have to brush off the dust from my old old old notes

That said, back in the day I never played higher level games, so nothing will be power leveled for a 12+ level game
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I'm with you, why supply a simple drinking horn that prevents poisoning when it could also be a nanny goat's drinking horn that produces gallons of goat's milk too (great if you're an adventuring wet-nurse battling lactose intolerant Asian demons). Or a magical dagger that is dull to the flesh, but sharp against metal and stone, floats in water, and is non-reflective. If I ever gave a +3 weapon it would have to be a harpoon or a dagger.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I was looking through my notes, I already have characters in the various Domesdays.

Do you want those converted onto the official fillable character sheet ?

Or, is it good enough that they are in the Domesdays ?

If you do want them converted, then I will change their level that way there aren't just a rehash of what is in the mag.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

It's good enough that they are in the Domes Day. NPCs should be RAW based also so that anyone can use them with the basic information.

Spade Marlowe
Ungern

Post by Spade Marlowe »

How do you want the attribute scores generated, 3d6 or 4d6 drop the lowest (or does it really matter)?

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Spade Marlowe wrote:How do you want the attribute scores generated, 3d6 or 4d6 drop the lowest (or does it really matter)?
Doesn't really matter. I use 4d6 in a 6x6 grid to get the best options.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Lurker, Go0gleplex and I differ in our thoughts on the NPC roster. My ultimate goal for the KoC NPC/PC file is to have a searchable data base of characters searchable by level, class, and race... so the more the better, the Domesday will not be in that search pool. Personally, I fear no one really reads the things... that said, if you want to convert to the fillable character sheet, follow Go0gleplex's RAW suggestions and submit them please.

Thanks, Capt_K

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Captain_K wrote:Lurker, Go0gleplex and I differ in our thoughts on the NPC roster. My ultimate goal for the KoC NPC/PC file is to have a searchable data base of characters searchable by level, class, and race... so the more the better, the Domesday will not be in that search pool. Personally, I fear no one really reads the things... that said, if you want to convert to the fillable character sheet, follow Go0gleplex's RAW suggestions and submit them please.

Thanks, Capt_K
Rgr, I found my notes on my Paladin / Cavilear , and then my straight cleric that I need to convert. Then I'll go through the ones from Domesday. I know some of them are more heavily house ruled, so I'll not convert them (or just convert the idea and spirit behind them)

I also may have a fighter thief from my first C&C game back with Rigon in 2007/2008 ish.

C&C Society

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

My opinion is based on two things. 1) having submitted most of the posted noted NPCs outside of Domesday; and 2) having been told point blank by the Trolls not to dual post NPCs, items, classes, etc. that have already been posted in Domesday or other works, hence I am following the policy handed down to me at the time of my own submissions after already having the discussions being re-raised with the current difference of opinions.

There is no problem with doing house ruled NPCs or NPCs with elaborate backgrounds...IF you want to have them included in Domesday. In fact Lurker just submitted one that should be part of its own short story if not novel. :)

The NPCs posted independently are intended to be setting generic as much as possible so anyone can use them without needing more than just the PHB and M&T.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I don't know why a generator isn't provided. Why bother manually creating a hundred or so when you can make thousands with a click or three.

Of course, it does take someone to write the code...

I do not volunteer. I would if I had time.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Go0gleplex wrote:My opinion is based on two things. 1) having submitted most of the posted noted NPCs outside of Domesday; and 2) having been told point blank by the Trolls not to dual post NPCs, items, classes, etc. that have already been posted in Domesday or other works, hence I am following the policy handed down to me at the time of my own submissions after already having the discussions being re-raised with the current difference of opinions.

There is no problem with doing house ruled NPCs or NPCs with elaborate backgrounds...IF you want to have them included in Domesday. In fact Lurker just submitted one that should be part of its own short story if not novel. :)

The NPCs posted independently are intended to be setting generic as much as possible so anyone can use them without needing more than just the PHB and M&T.
Rgr, I'll make sure I don't double tap any with that. I should have 2 maybe 3 more to convert, after that I'll have to create any more from scratch

As for history with a short story or novel ... That is why I sent the history separate from the sheet. I'm not sure you want or need anything that in depth. Plus like I said, trim it down as much or as little as you all need to.

& if you think that one was bad ... ask Tree & Rigon about my others' ... In one background I tied into a whole city's political infighting and house/family conflicts. For fun Rigon just turned it on me and now has a member of the rival family (slavers villains, and dastardly ne'er-do-wells the whole lot of them each and every one) kidnapping some of my street spies for an offering to a murder god, and kidnapping a songstress from my favorite tavern ...

C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I will double check, but I'm pretty sure the trolls have had a change of heart on putting NPCs in the NPC pile no matter where they came from (not sure how long ago your chat was G0). I think its their chaotic alignment? The change of heart part. I'm quickly coming to the conclusion a) no one really reads the Domesdays all that much, b) they don't search them for NPCs, and c) even if they find the they are not always in the handy printable format that we like in the NPC section.

Not trying to fight, just going to triple check. My goal is simple, get a pool of NPCs. If you don't like one, it has too much flavor for you, don't use the flavor. If someone can make auto generator that would be great. Heck, I'm hoping the guy or gall that made the fill-able pdf NPC sheet will do it again with the class specific sheets.

I'll check in with Tim so we get this ironed out and we don't waste our time.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

serleran wrote:I don't know why a generator isn't provided. Why bother manually creating a hundred or so when you can make thousands with a click or three.

Of course, it does take someone to write the code...

I do not volunteer. I would if I had time.
I'm working on it, but no ETA.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Generators are neat, but I would hope one created and fleshed out with details and unique items, etc. are still better. Otherwise I'm being replaced by code.. what a dystopian future.

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Post by T1Hound »

Once approved, can we have a recap / fresh thread of what's being requested? I was a business analysis working with a developer. I like nice clean requirements.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

working on it.

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Post by T1Hound »

Any news on this?