View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Has Anyone Played These Adventures? 
Ungern

Post Has Anyone Played These Adventures?
Been going through some forums and discovered a few intriguing mega-adventures on Lulu.com and Drive Thru RPG. They are the Advanced Adventures Compendiums by Expeditious Retreat Press on Lulu ($50 each, but all include 10 adventures) and "Barrowmaze Complete" and "Forbidden Caverns of Archaia" on Drive Thru. Both are written by Greg Gillespie and seem to be highly reviewed, but are $65 each.

Thinking about purchasing them and using all or part of them for my home brew C&C campaign where I mix my own material with published stuff. So I was wondering if anyone had used any for C&C or a similar game? I think they can be used for 1st edition, Labyrinth Lord, etc. The wife wants to get me some for Christmas so....any insights/experience people might have concerning any of them is appreciated.

Thanks!

Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:36 am
Red Cap

Post Re: Has Anyone Played These Adventures?
I used a few of them with my group. They're easy to convert. I purchased all of mine on DrivThruRPG...

Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:36 pm
Battle Stag

Barrowmaze Complete is one of the finest OSR products every released IMO. Un-apologetically old-school, and filled with some classic overland adventures bust mostly a giant mega-dungeon. I have been stealing bits and pieces of Barrowmaze for my C&C campaign games for a handful of years now, but never run it completely on it's own. However, it's so good that I am going to incorporate it fully into my next classic D&D/LL games. Barrowmaze Complete (not the earlier incarnations) is a Top-10 classic fantasy RPG release of all time for me.

Forbidden Caverns is only a few months old, so I haven't been able to fully digest that one yet. It looks good, but has a bit too many pop-culture references in it for my initial taste. Though the slew of outdoor travelling and dozens of smaller dungeons does seem quite good.

~O

Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
Mogrl

I have all the AA compilations, and have run or played through maybe 8 of them. Like any adventure product, there is a lot I use, and a portion I don't, or rewrite to make work for me.

I played through Barrowmaze, but doubt we got very far, but I enjoyed what we did play through.

I have no experience with the last one.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:14 pm
Ungern

Barrowmaze is over the top with treasure and magic in my opinion, but it is a great product all the same.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:14 pm
Ungern

Thanks for the feedback. Adventures have been ordered.

By the way, Omote, I'm heading your direction next week as my family all lives in the greater Cleveland area. Any good new gaming stores? Out in Mentor, where my family lives, there are a couple places, but they are fairly limited in RPGs beyond the usual 5E and Pathfinder stuff.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:08 am
Battle Stag

Pers, I've been out of the loop for a while on game stores opening and closing in the area. My fav store in still The Warzone in Cleveland out next to the airport. Mentor is 50 mins away from me so I don't know anything about the gaming store sitch out in that direction (I'm way out on the west side of Cleveland).

~O

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:55 pm
Profile WWW
Hlobane Orc

Most of the Advanced Adventures line have struck me as so-so, with a handful of good modules and a larger number of stinkers. I don't think the compilations are great values. I'd just get the individual modules that strike your fancy.

That being said, I ran an 8 month long C&C Barrowmaze game using the setting from of White Dragon Run. If you look at the attached map, I positioned the Barrowmaze in place of the "cave" at the end of the trail leading north from White Dragon Run.

I think White Dragon Run is a good setting, but Barrowmaze is simply great. I wholeheartedly agree that it's one of the real gems of the OSR. I consider Dwimmermount to be the best mega-dungeon out there, but Dwimmermount is really tied to its setting - it's a true campaign dungeon. If you're looking to incorporate a published mega-dungeon into your own campaign setting, I think Barrowmaze is as good as it gets, and that's very good indeed!

Attachments:
Small Map of the Skathernes.jpg
Small Map of the Skathernes.jpg [ 179.22 KiB | Viewed 4459 times ]
Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:05 am
Ungern

Cool; Barrowmaze, as well as the newer mega-dungeon by Greg Gillespie, have been ordered. Also looked at reviews of Dwimmermount and Lair of the Mad Archmage, but haven't decided yet on those. Not sure I need that many mega-dungeons, though they are fun to read. I have my own as well, but it's for levels 15 and up.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:55 am
Mogrl

maasenstodt wrote:
Most of the Advanced Adventures line have struck me as so-so, with a handful of good modules and a larger number of stinkers. I don't think the compilations are great values. I'd just get the individual modules that strike your fancy.

Thats probably the best way to go. The vast majority of adventures I buy are not what I would run "as is". Not necessarily because they suck, which can be the case all too often, but because its not what I need. So that is why I use what I like as is, rewrite whatever else I can modify to fill any other needs or wants I have, then ignore the rest. So the key thing I consider first and foremost are the maps. Then I read it over and see what ideas I like and can use. Then I reread and think about any ideas remaining that I can rewrite into something usable, then usually that is it.Sometimes I use maybe a 1/3 of a product, sometime roughly half, sometimes nearly all.

I don't know if anyone else would find so many adventures worth their money, let alone the effort it may take to turn them all into usable material. So buying them piece meal is likely the best way to go for most.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]