View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Rune Mark -- Let's Discuss.... 
Lore Drake

Post Rune Mark -- Let's Discuss....
I am preparing a campaign set in Aihrde. I love reading the setting material but it has never really hit the "oh, I gotta run that" spot for me. That has been discussed elsewhere. I am good just walking away, but I like the concept and want to save it if I can.

Ok, so this class known as the Rune Mark. I have had players run this class and for most part, we found the HD "is it 6 or 8" thing as well as some very incomplete descriptions for spells that can be very over-powered in a game. I like the extra option of this class. I want to use it but I have to wrench on it a bit to make is truly work. So, please feel free to let me know how you use the class. Do you go RAW? Did you add some caveats to the spells? Have you thrown it in the trash? Give me your thoughts and solutions...

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:45 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Post Re: Rune Mark -- Let's Discuss....
Any new fundamentally unique spell caster is different. Even the "anything can happen" illusionist throws many players and CKs into a tailspin. The Runes are more than abilities to the class, so I treat them like spells and modify as needed when too powerful. That said, work with your player to tweak, a good player who want the class to be included should be helpful not argumentative

Best of luck, try it three times, see if it fits.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:10 pm
Lore Drake

Captain_K wrote:
Any new fundamentally unique spell caster is different. Even the "anything can happen" illusionist throws many players and CKs into a tailspin. The Runes are more than abilities to the class, so I treat them like spells and modify as needed when too powerful. That said, work with your player to tweak, a good player who want the class to be included should be helpful not argumentative

Best of luck, try it three times, see if it fits.

Sounds like good advice. We had a few overpower moments. I like the class and want to make it work without a total rewrite.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:53 pm
Mogrl

I compare the desired effect against that of existing spells to see if there is one comparable. If so, that is how it is resolved, with a few caveats:

1) If the spell cast is higher level than normally available, the target receives a bonus to save equal to the difference in minimum caster level. That is, for example, a level one caster fires off a rune version of fireball which is a 3rd level spell, so those in the area of effect get a +4 bonus to save since it takes at least level 5 to cast it. This can still lead to being overpowered, but see point #3.

2) If there is no save and higher level than can be cast, as mentioned for #1, the effects are automatically at half efficiency. Again, this can be overpowered for damage effects but much weaker for healing -- in fact, I do not allow runic healing, save for very minor effects (maximum spell level of 3 so no casting heal or the equivalent.) It is possible to resurrect or raise dead, a la Conan the Barbarian, however... but it might be temporary.

3) Casting a spell above your traditional ability is taxing. Any spell cast afterward, for the next 24 hours, is considered to be +2 spell levels which means opponents are always going to receive a bonus to save (if there is a save) or always take half damage... for every spell cast. This also applies to 9th level spell equivalents.

I might be missing something, but that's the general idea, anyway.

For effects that do not seem to correlate to a given spell, I use either level 3, 5, 7 or 9 as the spell level, depending on how powerful the effect. Most are within the 5 - 7 range, like a limited wish. The same caveats above apply.

So basically, it comes down to rune marks can cast the same type of spells as a standard magic-user but can choose to go beyond that when needed, but it will make things harder on them. A sort of glass cannon, in a way.

This has only been tried for a few sessions so not thoroughly tested.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]