Low level shaman magic items ???

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Low level shaman magic items ???

Post by Lurker »

Ok like I mentioned in my last thread, my girls just made it through a long running battle fighting rats badgers and other vermin.

One of the bad guys they killed was a low-mid level shaman rat. Normally, it wouldn’t be a big deal, but they rolled exceptionally in the battle to notice it specifically slinging spells, went out of their way to save 2 friend mouse fighters who were getting pelted with minor lightning attacks from it, then rolled a 20 on their to hit (with the bow) and finished him off with a charge into danger by my younger daughter’s fighter, while the older keep pelting him with arrows. – great rolls great tactics, so they do deserve a bit of a bonus

Then after the fight was over, the rolled exceptionally well on searching for items – had to remind my older daughter that looting in the middle of a battle with arrows flying all around and people running here and there with sharp pointy things isn’t a good idea for a long life … she is tending to be a murder hobo … - Then made a 19 on the cha check when they showed it to the knight that lead the expedition – so he didn’t say the loot the found was part of the expedition’s loot to be divided amongst all the survivors.

However, I’m at a loss on what 2 minor magic items a shaman would have that I can give them that won’t unbalance them (they are at 2nd almost 3rd level.

I narrated a ring and a broch is what they found, along with some odds and ends of bones rocks and other shamanie paraphernalia.

Oh yeah, I already have 2 magic items they will find in the cave crawl designed for them …
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Low level shaman magic items ???

Post by Rigon »

Ring of Protection +1 and a Brooch of Shielding?

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

deleted
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

The ring is made of fine silver wire, intricately wound and woven to resemble a serpent biting its own tail. Small rubies for eyes. while the wearer sleeps the snake animates and climbs over the sleeping owner's body constantly patrolling for vermin and parasites which it poisons &/or consumes. The ring is always aware of the wakeful state of its owner and returns to a finger (random finger on one hand or the other) before the sleeper awakens. If touched by another it forms a ring and becomes inanimate immediately. The fact that the ring moves about should be fun to play.

Bonus: Protection from Vermin and Poison. 1/day poison spray as per burning hands but damage is caustic/contact poison. 3/day touch for sleep

This ancient bronze penannular brooch comes from the Celtic People and is blessed by and symbolizes the goddess Belisama. It does more than keep one's kilt or shawl closed against the cold winds, it keeps whatever it fastens drier and warmer than it has a right to be.. if it should be soaked, it becomes only damp quickly. If it should be icy and cold, it is dry and warm.

Bonus: Protection from Fire as per the druid spell. Produce light on command word. Wall of Fire once per week.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Thanks for the replies

I like those rings and broaches ... consider them copied and pasted into my notes !

Now, and it kills me to say this, ... I actually think I need to ramp up the items more than I planed on. They are only 2 characters, playing a Ranger and a fighter. So, they have no magic casters or magic abilities. It hasn't been a problem in level 1 & 2, easy enough to kill a rat or 2 with a bow and arrow or a spear thrust. However, soon enough they are going to need a spell here and there.

I have already linked them up with the local church to get cure potions so that need is taken care of. But other spells not so much...

So I'm thinking give them these items with a minimal number a spells per day with a list of lower level spells to pick from - none of the big magic fire ball high damage type spells ; things like know direction, light, obscuring mist, dancing lights etc. Also, to keep it from being too powerful for them, limit the spells they have access at 2nd level (there current level) to chose from 3 or 4 spells. Then when they hit 3rd level the get to chose from a few more, then when the get 4th level the get the whole list.

Now, if it was a regular group with the standard classes in the group, there is NO WAY I'd give 2nd level characters something that powerful ... but with only a ranger and a fighter ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Make the ring able to make a sword into a flame sword. Give it a few levels and let it do a fireball or such every so often. By that time they should have other magical items to help take up the slack.

The brooch could imbue the arrows with lightening like a shocking grasp type level. A few character levels later it can allow the archer to fire an actual lightening bolt. Again, by that time other magical items should be available. No?

BTW - Broach is to raise or a cask. Brooch is the ornamental jewelry. :ugeek: :lol:

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

added to above via edit... all in one place.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Go0gleplex wrote:Make the ring able to make a sword into a flame sword. Give it a few levels and let it do a fireball or such every so often. By that time they should have other magical items to help take up the slack.

The brooch could imbue the arrows with lightening like a shocking grasp type level. A few character levels later it can allow the archer to fire an actual lightening bolt. Again, by that time other magical items should be available. No?

BTW - Broach is to raise or a cask. Brooch is the ornamental jewelry. :ugeek: :lol:

Ohhh I already have plans for their magic weapons ... They each have a masterwork weapon (Lauren has a hewing/boar spear & Kaity has a hand axe) . In the middle of winter (at the winter solstice), they are have to go save a cleric out in the woods gathering items for the celebration. That will get the Rangers axe 'blessed' with some abilities. Then, in an early thaw they will have to race against time to save some farmer's son lost in the woods before the cold spell returns and the kid dies in the cold. They will have to shelter in a dead fall - after fighting berserker wolverine(s) - there they will meet a 'hermit' and exchange stories and the like. When they wake up he will be gone and the fighter's spear will be ... different. Then in the spring, they will stumble onto a fairy / pixy in a spider web, (they are already learning to HATE spiders and spider webs) and that will get the ranger a magic bow . ,,, I'm not sure what to do for the fighter's other weapon ...

Oa ... oo ... I'm an Okie from the back woods. You are lucky I use big words like Broach/brooch ... I could have said 'little shiny thing that sticks into a coat ' ;)

CK. nice addition. Consider it yonked in case they ever play a real / non harvester's game when they are a bit older !

C&C Society

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Well...I just dinnae wan' ta see ye wee bairn thar hoistin' a broach s' soon, ye ken? :rofl:

Hmmm...fighter with a spear already. Will likely want something for close in fighting...like tekko-kagi. She can do a X-man Wolverine routine. lol

A light mace or hammer or typical long knife/short sword works well too. Or go really wild with a bladed buckler. Defense and offense all at once while still being able to use the spear.