Elemental Magic

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
JohnD
Ungern

Elemental Magic

Post by JohnD »

Some of these spells have "h" next to save and SR. Assume this means half effect if successful?

If so, what about something like the Damage Reduction and Cure With Fire spells?

Asking for a friend. :)

JohnD
Ungern

Re: Elemental Magic

Post by JohnD »

I think I may just have found the answer to my own question, page 86 PHB 6th printing;

SAVING THROW (SV): most harmful spells allow an affected creature to make a saving throw to avoid some or all of the effect. This entry details whether a spell allows a saving throw, what type of saving throw is made, and the effect of a successful save. A parenthetical (h) indicates a harmless spell, one that is usually beneficial but still allows a targeted creature to attempt a saving throw if it wishes. If a spell does not include a saving throw entry, then assume no saving throw is allowed.

SPELL RESISTANCE (SR): Whether spell resistance (SR) will resist the spell. A parenthetical (h) indicates a harmless spell, one that is usually beneficial but still allows a targeted creature to attempt to resist the spell if it wishes. If a spell does not include a spell resistance entry, then assume no spell resistance check is allowed.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Hey since we are talking about elemental spells....

I have read through them, but not used them in a game yet. Do they seem balanced? Wil they be over-powered? No power-creep?

JohnD
Ungern

Post by JohnD »

I have not used them, or indeed done more than a cursory examination. I do all my gaming online via Fantasy Grounds these days, and I know Elemental Magic is in the pipeline, so once it is available I'll see. Certainly some of the spells will come in useful in my ToEE campaign, as will the magic items.

All that said, the spells I did look at, some of them had me scratching my head as to why a caster would use them when spell X essentially does the same thing, but this is where my players will make the call with what they try to learn on level up. I have 4 separate groups with 2 or 3 spell casters in each, so I'm hoping at least a few of them grab some of the new offerings.